Facebook

Facebook Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg

Mark Zuckerberg

Pros:
  • "The best thing about this place is that you have so many smart people around you"
    in 68 reviews
  • "Free food, young and lively coworkers, downtown location"
    in 51 reviews
Cons:
  • "Terrible work/life balance unless you actively set barriers and don't do some things"
    in 36 reviews
  • "Not really a con but a tradeoff for moving fast: lack of documentation"
    in 28 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A heaven for an engineer!

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time for less than a year

ProsI moved here from a larger stable company where I was also working as a software engineer, and I have just been wow-ed! Apart from the amazing perks, I work with a set of very dedicated, determined and intelligent folks, which is really the best part of working here.

- Co-workers are mostly rockstars!
- Lots of resources to learn - 7 months into my job and I feel I am already a much better engineer.
- Lots of importance on what YOU want to work on, versus what your manager thinks you should work on. You can freely talk to your manager and find an intersection between your interests and the company/product needs.
- Everything is automated (again by rockstar teams), and processes are made as simple as possible.
- Great pay, stocks and bonuses.
- Amazing perks! Lots of food choices, great campus, regular team happy hours with great food, and the list goes on and on.

Cons- Work-life balance almost 0 on weekdays! I spend the entire day working/thinking about work. But that is what I was looking for. Weekends are upto you - most people do not work.
- Lots of process changes in short periods of time - so you are constantly climbing the learning curve. But this maybe specific to the product I work on.

Growing too fast and losing track of culture

Business Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Facebook full-time for more than a year

ProsSome perks, smart people, learning opportunities, great networking with very accomplished silicon valley folks, office space is fun (maybe too distracting)

ConsTurning corporate, need to know the right people, holier than thou attitudes, veteran employees talking about their money and yachts, culture and communication is breaking down (Move fast and fix things), useless spending on parties/shirts/ice cream shop/laundry/etc just to keep young employees feeling like they are still in undergrad, Nepotism!!!

Project Coordinator

Project Manager (Former Employee)
Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time for less than a year

ProsAwesome people, Great culture, Great food

ConsThe commute was very long

Smart, boring people and no balance.

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people are smart, and the scaling challenges are great. Where else does your code impact a billion people? The compensation is amazing.

Senior management are generally amazing people, smart, visionary and compassionate.

ConsThe focus on measuring means anything that can't be measured is ignored. It's easy to measure someone's ability to code on a whiteboard. As a result, the coders are much better than nearly everywhere I've worked, but that's it. Social skills and personality can't be measured. As a result there is no one here you would ever be friends. The internal surveys bear this point that people don't have friends at work. Similarly for managers, they are selected strictly for their technical ability. Again, they have zero compassion. In my time being here, I've never once felt like anyone cared if I was here or not. Not once has anything positive ever been said. It's really astounding.

Recruiting does an amazing job at making candidates feel wanted. That feeling disappears the moment you sign. After that, you have no manager or anyone who will care. You'll go into bootcamp where you'll have a "mentor". His role is to continue to do his job while counting the number of lines in your diffs to make sure you can make progress with no assistance.

After bootcamp, you'll have a manager who operates in the same mode. They are interested in the technology and not the people. To them, you are a resource to be maximized. They will tell you everything you need to do to improve, but never once say "good job". In boot camp, I kept meeting these amazing, visionary dynamic managers. I know realize they were the exception. Those people made me love Facebook during bootcamp, but that feeling wore off quickly once I interacted with the average line level manager.

Plus, beware of the reviews here. Recruiting will tell you point blank that they curate these reviews. The reason FB has the highest rating is because someone internally has a goal to achieve certain star ratings on this site.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart selecting people for human relationship skills and focus less on pure technical ability.

The Best Place to learn

Software Developer (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time for more than a year

ProsAmazing work culture, you never see it as a work place

ConsLong Hours and some times you cant balance work and your personal life.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should identify the young talents

It's not a job, it's an experience

Operations Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than a year

ProsFast-paced environment, constant iteration, no time to get bored but plenty of time and opportunities to learn and get smarter. A lot of experienced engineers and non-engineers, willing to share every last bit of their knowledge.

ConsDisparity of perks and pay between HQ and satellite offices is somewhat de-motivating, but those who can and want can always move to HQ if they can find a place there (not that hard, actually) - so not a complaint as such, just a point worth mentioning.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust keep trying not to become one of those old-school corporations tied up in red-tape

Form employee #514

Senior Manager Data Center Operations (Former Employee)
Ashburn, VA

I worked at Facebook full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat place, great mission, great creativity and upper managment support behind creativity

Consgetting to large to execute on creative ideas

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is aware of the employee scaling issues and works on "drift" control constantly.

Facebook is a great company to work for

Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than a year

ProsFacebook is a company that trusts your abilities and talent. You're given so much responsibility and learn something everyday.
The culture is beyond compare, you work with people from all over the world and with different work- and educational backgrounds - and everyone is committed to making the platform better and help the world connect.

ConsBeing a young team can be a good and a bad thing. It's great for innovation and ambition, but it can certainly lack the necessary experience to foresee challenges.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be open about projects, products and changes in the org.

The best company I had...

Systems Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSocial interactions with different people from the IT industry.

ConsCan't think of any bad things on my company...

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue on what you are doing.

A calm ride after a interview storm

Analyst (Current Employee)
Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Facebook full-time for less than a year

Prospeople, salary, travel, options to work on projects that have a professional and personal interest.

Conspeople who are there a few years, do have a belief of entitlement or belonging, to those who started post IPO.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep engaged and remember, the best talent is with recent and new hires

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Facebook reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg. All 637 reviews posted anonymously by Facebook employees.