Facebook

Facebook Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg

Mark Zuckerberg

Pros:
  • "The best thing about this place is that you have so many smart people around you"
    in 68 reviews
  • "Free food, young and lively coworkers, downtown location"
    in 51 reviews
Cons:
  • "Terrible work/life balance unless you actively set barriers and don't do some things"
    in 36 reviews
  • "Not really a con but a tradeoff for moving fast: lack of documentation"
    in 28 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Best place to work? Depends on who you ask.

User Operations (Current Employee)

I have been working at Facebook

ProsFree food, laundry, flexible work schedules, commuter shuttles, gym membership discounts, and the opportunity to work with smart & motivated people on a massively popular product are good reasons to work here.

ConsIf you work in User Operations at any level other than Associate or Lead, prepare to be bored, frustrated, and stifled in career development. The jobs in this department mostly involve repetitive task work such as content moderation and responding to user emails, but you will get slightly more interesting tasks from time to time such as working directly with an engineer. You will not be given much respect or appreciation for your work, nor will you be promoted unless you schmooze with the right crowd and embody the essential 'Facebooker'. The bureaucracy problem has gotten much better over time, but it certainly still exists. Everyone is smart, so the competition for a few leadership positions is tough, and you'll be denied promotions for fairly abstract reasons. The target is always moving. It's also quite difficult to transfer to a different department - UO isn't given much benefit of the doubt. It's unfortunate that this department has developed the way it has, because there is a large, untapped pool of brilliant people who could really make great contributions to the product.

Advice to Senior ManagementFacebook is probably the best place in the world to work if you're a software engineer, but don't forget the people at the bottom who thanklessly support the entire user-base.

Facebook is the best engineering organization I have ever worked for

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Facebook

ProsA bureaucracy-free environment that allows you to simply get work done
Strong management with strong technical background all the way to the top
Very metric-driven engineering team
The ability to prioritize tasks based on what you think is important
A remarkably well defined review process that encourages personal development in different areas
Company policy to leave unnecessary meetings early or skip them entirely

ConsSome politics and cliques
Some user-facing projects have too many product managers
Some late nights when supporting new code pushes
Fighting fires can become a full time job

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't stop being open and transparent
Daytime hackathons to encourage more participation for engineers with family commitment
Improve recruiting's ability to filter candidates so engineering interviews have lower reject rate

ok place

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Facebook

Prosfood, dry cleaning and free concerts

Conscan be a bit demanding

Advice to Senior Managementcommunicate more to employess

wonderful place to work

I have been working at Facebook

Pros-management is approachable and open with information
-perks are outstanding (health, pto, food, company events, laundry services, etc)
-employees are among the brightest in the industry
-exciting work environment

Cons-inconsistency in quality reviews
-rapid employee growth means less personal peer-to-peer relationships

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the great work and the forward thinking

Haven't seen anywhere better

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Facebook

Pros- Fast-paced environment
- Easy to have a huge impact given our user base, analytics, and small number of engineers
- Good compensation (especially with equity)
- Very merit-based - if you're not pulling your weight, you'll be asked to leave. This means you only work with the best and brightest.
- Lots of independence. People won't just be handing you spec and telling you to implement it.

Cons- Very merit-based - if you're not pulling your weight, you'll be asked to leave. This it not actually a con at all if you're good.
- With independence comes responsibility. If your stuff breaks, you fix it. But this leads to a culture of building awesome things - not really a con.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep pushing the envelope. But do keep in mind the effects of external forces (both positive and negative) on employees and the ability to do groundbreaking things in the future.

I was just an intern

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Facebook

ProsYoung culture
Fast paced
Exciting after hours

ConsSociopathic leadership
Youth run amok with poor oversite

Advice to Senior ManagementNone really.

People are actually smart. It's a special place.

I have been working at Facebook

ProsFacebook is a fantastic place to work. Yes, you get to work on big things, there are cool new opportunities all over the place, and there's lots of cache...but what really matters is that this is a place full of smart, engaged, and driven people. You don't have conversations at Facebook where you walk away saying "he just didn't get it." This makes every day so much better it's hard to even begin to explain.

ConsManagement is great at a lot of things...but not necessarily at manageing the business. Random stuff just happens that sometimes doesn't make sense across all aspects of the business. Often, initiatives just happen over night, without properly involving all the relevant stakeholders. Sometimes the business side of the company seems to be operating in completely different world from the engineering side.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork harder at integrating business and engineering.

I love working at Facebook!

I have been working at Facebook

ProsI love the culture, freedom, people, environment, benefits, and flexibility.

ConsThere really isn't much I would change about work here except for a better work/life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe leadership team here at Facebook has done a great job communicating changes and our company vision.

Lots to dive into!

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Facebook

ProsI really like the pace that we're working at -- there's so much going on, and there's a lot of inherent trust in people to run with what they're doing. Policies and red tape in previous companies sometimes left me feeling a bit stifled about what I was able to work on & share, but there really is a sense of openness at Facebook, not only in communication, but in the ability to jump into projects that call out to you as well.

And beyond that, the people really are incredible: smart, fun, unique, and passionate about what they're doing. It's hard not to get excited by the people alone!

ConsThe pace *can* be a little crazy -- one of our values is moving fast, and we definitely do that -- and generally that's a huge pro to working here, but at times, it can be a little much. There are definitely good policies around PTO, and the environment *is* understanding about balancing work & personal life, but that's ultimately up to the individual to carry out, which can be difficult to do in practice.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would encourage the leadership to make themselves visible, both at all-hands events, but also in the sense of cross-pollination. It's invaluable, for example, to hear about product strategy from the head of Engineering at an HR team meeting; or to have the head of Finance share what he's focusing on with the Sales team -- efforts like that really don't take much time at all and are a highly impactful way to get communication and knowledge flowing across the company.

We're given the freedom to take risks and dream bigger than we've ever dreamt before!

Associate, Recruiting Programs (Current Employee)

I have been working at Facebook

ProsThis company has an incredible culture, the people are amazing, the problems we solve always challenge us and we have the special opportunity to be a part of something GREAT!

ConsWe move very fast here and at times things break which makes it hard to stay efficient. It's necessary to be in the mindset of an ever changing company. But it can be frustrating when it affects your performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementI like the way we move fast and challenge ourselves but I'd like a more stable product for our users so we don't get messages from our friends about the bugs in our product.

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Facebook reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg. All 637 reviews posted anonymously by Facebook employees.