Facebook
www.facebook.com Menlo Park, CA 5000+ Employees

Facebook Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2013's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros:
  • "The best thing about this place is that you have so many smart people around you"
    in 70 reviews
  • "Free food, young and lively coworkers, downtown location"
    in 52 reviews
Cons:
  • "Not the most understanding environment when it comes to work/life balance"
    in 38 reviews
  • "Not really a con but a tradeoff for moving fast: lack of documentation"
    in 28 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A good workplace with a startup-like feel to it

Menlo Park, CA

Prosmove fast, be bold, social company, good opportunities to make a big impact

Consnot so healthy food options everywhere
    more college kids building hacky stuff that doesn't sustain long term growth

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't focus on competitors

Intelligent people at a fun, mission-driven company

Software Engineering Intern (Former Employee)
    Palo Alto, CA

Pros-work with some really intelligent, creative people
    -amazing perks (food!)
    -really feel like you're changing the world
    -management is great about being transparent

ConsI was an intern, so didn't have too much stress, but seems like the environment for full-timers can get stressful.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to keep the culture exciting and fast-moving as the company grows.

Moves fast, breaks things.

Palo Alto, CA

Pros* High impact job, each change touches millions of people
    * High ownership, there's too much to do
    * Smart people to work with
    * Great food and perks
    * Low management overhead
    * Lots of interesting problems to work on

Cons* Long hours, hard work can be exhausting
    * Very chaotic, plans can shift quickly, you have to be very flexible
    * Other than that, nothing else

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Every day is fun because I work with the best, most passionate and excited people

Product Manager (Current Employee)
    Menlo Park, CA

ProsThe people are amazing. Everyone is so smart and passionate about what they do that you never have negative conversations about someone wanting to get their way just because they want their way.

The culture of getting stuff done as fast as possible and trusting to individual ownership to make it work is also huge.

ConsYou will work a zillion hours and still not be done with your work.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe careful about relying on the people you already know and trust too much. The company is getting too big to be run entirely based on trust in a few individuals.

Best company ever

Seattle, WA

ProsFacebook has the most open culture of any company I've worked at. Smart people (I know people say that about other large companies, but the caliber of Facebook is MUCH higher). Great food ;) Best place to work bar none.

ConsFreedom is given to the individual, which is great when the individuals have vision (which is orthogonal to talent), not so great when they are doing random things.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work! Facebook is AWESOME!!!

Great company to work. Culture is awesome

Programmer Analyst (Former Employee)
    Palo Alto, CA

ProsEmployees are very efficient. Uses Latest Technology. Not very process oriented..so you get a chance to quickly solve the issues. Great for young perople to work. Awesome food and perks.

ConsHectic schedule for full time employees

Best internship ever. The culture and opportunities are great.

Product Analyst (Former Employee)
    Menlo Park, CA

ProsThey give interns big real responsibilities and expect them to perform. They expose you to different teams and you get a large breadth of experience.

ConsWork life balance is a bit tricky, the environment is great and fun and they push you to perform., but you're still spending a lot of time at work. Possibly because I'm an intern from Canada, I'd work 50-60 hours a week.

Structurally & Strategically Impressive, but Culturally Immature

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Palo Alto, CA

ProsI will give credit to fb, that when I first started, I was very impressed with how organized and efficient they seemed. Everyone did their job, everyone worked hard, and everyone deserved to be there. The first I could say for any organization I have worked for.

The free shuttle is great - the drivers are nice and professional! The food is delicious and healthy. You have no excuse for eating poorly, because you always have healthy options.

ConsIt didn't take long for me to realize what should have been the obvious. Facebook culture is largely superficial and materialistic. Now this may be more prevalent in my department, but I think it's fairly standard for the company. In my first days, I met with each person on my team and made an effort to learn their communication style and how I could support them. I even scheduled follow-up meetings to address any concerns. Each week my manager met with me and gave me vague, negative feedback, but never gave me any positive feedback. The criticism never felt constructive. I asked if I could be given specific examples of what I had done wrong, so that I could improve, and none were given. Instead I was given adjectives of my personality to describe me in a negative light.

I was let go, and again given a vague explanation. Only that I had done nothing wrong. I saw at least 5 other people in in my department get let go (who were good performers) simply because they didn't fit right with the team. I tried very hard to be accepted, but felt I was not given a chance. This company cares more about how popular you are than how much work you get done. Even though I often stayed the latest, it did not matter because I was invited to less parties, happy hours, etc. and did not partake in celebrity and colleague gossip.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage people to be themselves. Having a more reserved and professional demeanor is NOT a bad thing. Take the time to get to know individuals for their uniqueness. Offer concrete feedback, and highlight what your employees have achieved as well. In general, treat people with respect and worry less about how much other people like you. I think fb could do better if it felt more like an office at times, and less like a sorority/high school/summer camp.

Awesome place to work

Menlo Park, CA

Pros- Extremely competent people all around
    - Lot of energy and motivation
    - Strong sense of engineering and hacking culture
    - Clear and transparent messaging from upper management

Cons- Lot of work so you tend to be under pressure most of the time
    - Be ready to feel average even if you have been a star at your previous job (Like I said everyone around you is really good)

Great energy, but not always focused

Vendor Manager (Former Employee)
    Palo Alto, CA

Prosgreat perks and friendly people

ConsNot team oriented.
    Fast moving, but not always doing what is best for the company

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Facebook reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg. All 98 reviews posted anonymously by Facebook employees.