Facebook

Facebook Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg

Mark Zuckerberg

Pros:
  • "The best thing about this place is that you have so many smart people around you"
    in 70 reviews
  • "Free food, young and lively coworkers, downtown location"
    in 52 reviews
Cons:
  • "Not the most understanding environment when it comes to work/life balance"
    in 38 reviews
  • "Not really a con but a tradeoff for moving fast: lack of documentation"
    in 28 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

I felt like a subclass of employee at work everyday

ProsFree food, young and lively coworkers, downtown location.

ConsWhat was promised by the recruiter on the phone and in the interviews was very different than what reality as a contractor was actually like.

There is a clear separation between you and full-time employees. Physically, your full time counter-parts, that are on your team, will either sit on the other side of the aisle or in a separate part of the office than you so that you understand that you are not one of them and have as minimal interaction with them as possible. Culturally, they talk down to you and try to make you feel less than them (yes, word gets around the office), give you the tasks none of them want to do and will also give you as little amount of responsibility as they can.

As a contractor your job will be about as repetitive as they come because the FTE's will allocate you the most mind numbing of all work at Facebook. Your job consists of 3 second intervals of decision over and over for the course of an entire day.

FTE's will have parties and day trips away from the office that you simply can not go to. What made it worse was that many times the contractors would not know that the FTE's would have the day off and the contractors would come in to work and have the entire workload on their shoulders. A prime example of how little FTE's care about you.

In one instance I was told to leave the office in the middle of my workday and find a new place to work because the full time employee's were going to have a beer pong party. The environment is very hypocritical because the walls are covered with posters about inclusion, acceptance and empowerment but Facebook Austin excludes and shuns a huge number of the people that work their.

I have never had a more aloof manager in my entire live. I think my manager though it was cool to not care about what I did. It was awful. He/She gave no instruction, no guidance, no evaluation, no conversation, no eye contact, no meetings, didnt speak assertively and with confidence. This was not a laissez-faire management. This was an I dont care management style.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring 12 month contractors and invest in people or, why not just outsource it. Contractors are put in their own corner of the office and you dont see us anyways.

Dont promise contract workers the world then give them a very underwhelming and under paid job where the feel like a subclass in their own workplace.

Encourage managers to care and/or interact with their contracts. I talked to my manager about once a month (usually when I was asked to work the weekends).

This is absolutely the best company to work for!

Ios Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Menlo Park, CA

ProsThe people. The work. The culture. The perks. The CEO.

# ^ $

ConsSome code is messy (but a lot isn't). The branding could use some love.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing. Also make our brand better.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Facebook - MPK is a great place to work

Platform Operations Analyst (Former Employee)
    Menlo Park, CA

Prosthe food is incredible, the people are bright and fun, there's opportunity to effect millions of people with what you create

Consmove fast break things may mean that the project you're working on will not work out. so while they execute things quickly they also kill things off quickly. also that commute is rough if you live in the city.

Advice to Senior Managementspend more time with your employees

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent culture

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Menlo Park, CA

ProsI had the privilege of working at this company as an intern a few times. Of all the internships I've had, this company's culture best aligns with my own. The teams tend to be small, the work environment really feels like home. The food is ok, but I mainly ate at the salad bar. I love that as an engineer, I'm not restricted in the type of equipment I get, and that I can get whatever I need to improve myself.

ConsThis isn't the best place, if you want to have an excellent work life balance, since it's really easy to just stay at work all the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementNever lose that sense of small company feel just to have more control or order.

positive experience

Prosthey share attributes with the world’s most successful organizations – a focus on innovation and smart business practices comes to mind – but even as we continue to grow, they’re committed to retaining a small-company feel.

Consa little bit stressful, Easily feel tired and frustrated. expected to always be enthusiastic. little spare time.

Amazing company

Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

ProsPeople, projects, pace - it's all great.

ConsLots of travel. Can work long days if you want to.

Pretty good place to work

Account Manager (Current Employee)
    Menlo Park, CA

ProsThe campus is insane, great place to be, delicious food, positive environment overall. Young team overall, great benefits.

ConsThe company has grown a lot and with that came politics and an unusual (at least for me) level of competitiveness amongst colleagues. Constant re-orgs make it a little difficult to grow, as you end up changing managers all the time and you role changes as well. The advertising product is far from stable and they keep changing everything all the time, which confuses the team and the marketplace (and makes the sales process more challenging).

Excellent

User Operations Analyst (Former Employee)
    Menlo Park, CA

ProsGood pay, excellent environment, tons of perks, opportunity to work with several teams, beautiful office, Opportunities for mobility within the company, everyone feels like they're on the same team

Consrepetetive work, cult-ish, but only if you feel that way,

Awesome working experience

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Hyderābād (India)

ProsThere are so many things..

ConsVer few things which you will hate

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing. They all are fine

Fantastic

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

Pros* Compensation, you will be compensated fairly well but don't expect to be super rich
    * Impactful, with Facebook serving 1.23 billion people, a simple change you make can either reach millions of people or improve Facebook's efficiency greatly
    * Relaxing work environment, while there are deadlines to be met, its how you reach those deadlines that matter. Work life balance is easy.

Cons* To get the main benefit, work in HQ, I've worked in other offices and felt I never got the same treatment
    * Big company, Facebook isn't as small as it used to be, so if you want to be heard. Make sure to make some noise

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Facebook reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg. All 676 reviews posted anonymously by Facebook employees.