Facebook

Updated February 28, 2015
4.6

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg
Mark Zuckerberg

Pros
  • You have occasion to work with super smart people from the industry (in 85 reviews)

• Amazing office culture and community and the free food doesn't hurt (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • Another thing that no one will agree with me on is the work-life balance (in 54 reviews)

• Long hours away from home, due to my own commute situation and long working hours (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

394 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Best internship ever!

Former Intern - Intern in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Intern - Intern in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Really fast moving hack culture is exciting.
    Smart people all around.
    A good name in the industry.
    Food is absolutely delicious.
    Intern program is very well planned out.

Cons

Recruiters are very slow at times.
    Little to no opportunity to move around in different departments.
    Hiring is a bit too fast right now, need to slow down.

Have a more personal connection with employees.
    Don't disregard your remote locations. Vancouver is a good example of a great office turned into nothing.

Amazing collaborative experience

Current Employee - Product Specialist in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Product Specialist in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The culture is really amazing and in my opinion even better than the media portrays it. The perks are wonderful, but the professional experience is even better! You are free and expected to guide your own career in a way that makes an impact on your goals. This place is incredibly mission focused and product driven. The speed at which facebook moves is astounding at this size. I feel the energy everyday working here.

Cons

Not a huge con, but the mission and energy can take over and have you spending all hours on the job. You have to either possess or quickly gain time management skills. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's the closest thing to a con I can think of at fb.

Keep investing in good user experiences, maintain consistently high level of transparency across entire org. Keep personal growth opportunities plentiful.

Best tech company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

Facebook at this stage is an amazing mix of forward momentum, autonomy, stability and impact on the world that it would be extremely hard for any other company to compete.

Cons

I really dont have any cons.

Best company in the world!

Current Employee - Supply Chain Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Facebook has a really move fast culture and has some of the most talented people in their respective industries. It's truly a production based dynamic where they expect a lot out of their people. Our team's typically run lean but we're growing fast. Obviously the benefits are second to none. Hands down the best company I've ever worked for... and probably the world!

Cons

If I had to complain about anything at Facebook it would be my commute from San Francisco. Note that they offer a terrific shuttle service however being on the road that long everyday eventually wears on you. Once you're on campus, it's all good though!

Continue to focus on maintaining our amazing culture as we further expand around the world.

Best culture, top compensation, amazing talent

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Well paid
    Working with talented people
    The culture - it is unbelievable - hacker culture

Cons

Working hard, long hours... if you like what you do - it is fun. Otherwise - not so much!

Leadership could use some training!

Awesome company on a mission to connect the world

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Competitive compensation package (base salary, bonus, equity)
    Great benefits (free food)
    Open culture (weekly Q&As with Zuck and other executives)
    Helping build a product that people regularly use
    Great experience to build your resume
    4 month paternity/maternity leave fully paid

Cons

No slacking off allowed! Teams run lean and move fast.
    Despite how young the company is overall, there still seems to be an age bias for older, more experienced employees, rather than more impactful employees, regarding recognition and promotions. At least in Finance.

Despite how young the company is overall, there still seems to be an age bias for older, more experienced employees, rather than more impactful employees, regarding recognition and promotions. Seems to be contrary to our value of focusing on impact.

Great company with awesome management & engineering

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Open culture: problems get discussed openly and fixed, not just being gossiped in the background
    - Great infrastructure, engineering talents: jobs get easier & more satisfying, you can grow faster than ever before & learn tons of new things on daily basis

Cons

- You often have to do crazy amount of work in a very short time
    - Not a startup anymore: You can't get super rich while waiting for some IPO. The stock value still grows, but already quite expensive.

Keep doing awesome work, provide more and more opportunities for the employee to grow and learn new things

It's a privilege everyday

Current Employee - Client Partner in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Client Partner in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Zuck is a legend in his own time, his Friday Q&A's are can't miss and it is awesome to hear him handle the tough unexpected questions.
    Perks are world class
    Leadership listens to challenges that employees are facing and for the most part makes changes to correct.
    It is a fun culture and we have some pretty legendary parties
    It is stunning how transparent leadership is with the whole company.

Cons

The commute to Menlo Park
    Occasional Politics

Keep facing the tough challenges head on
    Open a San Francisco office, this will eventually be a weakness because all younger companies are located in city.

Spectacular engineering talent, but a pretty isolated environment.

Former Intern - Front End Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Intern - Front End Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook as an intern

Pros

The environment is really fast-paced, with a lot of freedom. As Facebook grows, there's more and more of a spectrum of different types of work environments and managerial relationships--all the way from entirely hands off, to much more hand holding if you need it.

Speaking as a UI engineering: You'll learn more here than pretty much anywhere else. When it comes to UI tech specifically, Facebook seems much more willing to work from first principles and carefully try new concepts at scale than other places.

Cons

Major Silicon Valley companies are frequently a bit isolated--and to some extent that's what makes them good at what they do, by helping them ignore the ways things have been done. In Facebook's case, I found the office environment very isolated from the rest of the area. There's walls all around the campus, and it's across a freeway from the rest of the Menlo Park area, so it takes planning if you want to interact with non-Facebook employees in a typical workday. Being so isolated doesn't seem advantageous as a situation for a company that's trying to make the world more open and connected.

Find more ways to engage the surrounding georgraphic community with the Facebook community, embrace remote work tech and habits, and encourage workers to get off campus more and wander a bit and talk to people.

Big but cool place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Facebook was a cool place to work, but the company is a behemoth now. The perks are great and there are some really incredible people and projects at Facebook.

Cons

Work / life balance is a bit off here especially if you live in the city. The perks are great but the expectation is to stay at the office for ridiculous hours. Also, as the company has grown so have the politics.

Fix some of the culture and politics, but overall doing a good job