Facebook Reviews

Reset
4.5
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg
Mark Zuckerberg

Pros
  • Your surrounded by smart people (in 85 reviews)

• Free food and frequent offsites (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work/life balance at Facebook (in 54 reviews)

• No work/life balance; long hours; must work a lot just to stay afloat; difficult for those with families and/or small children (in 26 reviews)

Landslide win over Google for career growth

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I just left Google and joined Facebook, and felt so much happier. The reasons are:

1. The real impact
    At Google I joined a team whose product is only used by less than 1000 people, and even for that product I was assigned to do a peripheral part, whose functionality actually doesn't matter at all. Just for that module, I had to write unit test for every silly part of the code, and took long iteration cycles. I admit those are good engineering coding trainings, however taking precious time in my life to work on something that doesn't matter is just a waste of my life.

In Facebook things just move so much faster. There are standard software engineering review process but not as rigid. Just during training (boot camp) weeks, I had tasks to change very important part of Facebook's core code, and the second day after I check-in my code, it got shipped to almost 1 billion people. As a software engineer I cannot recall a moment I felt better for my job.

Then I joined a team that's extremely important to Facebook's revenue. A mistake in the code I changed could cause Facebook million dollar a day. However Facebook just trusted us, allowed us making mistake and having quick iteration cycles to test ideas fast. If I make a coding mistake in my team in Google it might cost Google nothing in terms of revenue as my product was small, however the development process was so strict I could not have chance to try my innovations or test my ideas. But in Facebook that's all possible.

2. The organizational structure
    Google's organization is now very structured and hierarchical. Facebook is having more layers, but the working style is still flat, and social-network style. Speaking to people in different teams, form an idea, lead a virtual team and complete it, this style is still valued. My boss is more like a mentor helping me navigating through the ideas, rather than an authority telling me what to do.

Cons

1. I don't quite like the office decoration style. A little bit stressful and factory like.
    2. The compensation is better than Google but not as good as other smaller companies.
    3. Despite good acquisitions for solidify the position in social media, social networks, there is still uncertainty about the future of this company.

Software Engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1) Company has unique culture to make everyone a full stack all-round engineer. So if you come from companies you getting used to own an area and close the door, don't come to Facebook you can't survive.

2) Company benefits is almost the best (only some much smaller companies can beat it from some certain perspectives, but it's still much better than Google and slightly better than Linkedin). Thinking about the # of days in PTO (6 days more than Google or Microsoft), food/Micro-Kitchen (which is way better than Google/Microsoft, especially Micro-Kitchen), and almost everything else you can tell..

3) Company has very good perspective, not only due to its unique properties as a social network, but also due to its CEO Zuck who does the right things most of the time..

4) Due to reason 3), you can see people here working with more passion and happiness, there're always lots of great projects to choose from and they just don't have enough people to work on.

5) Bootcamp project is unique among large companies (I'm seeing other smaller companies like Dropbox has similar stuffs but).. This project almost make sure you can land on a team you have passion with. Whereas in companies like Google you mostly drop onto a team blindly..

6) Culture here is younger, people are generally nicer than many other companies (where you can see arrogant people sometimes), collaborative, sharing and respectful.

Cons

1) Due to its unique culture you can find yourself be "on your own" many times. You need to be able to survive under this condition.

2) Company tends to grow way too fast, some culture has getting not as good as it used to be.

3) This company does fire people.

4) In some team especially front-end you may find engineering driven less than design driven, also you find yourself very busy in some teams.

3. Positive Feedback

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook (Less than a year)

Pros

Best company for an intern! Everything is free and there is a good hotel to live!
    Worked on an independent project. (This is really good compare to some interns in Canada..)

Cons

Really good company and no big cons..
    Ok.. food is not good as heard..

Advice to Management

My manager offers me minimum help as usual.

Software Engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for with amazing co-workers and benefits. One of the best places to get exposure to problems of scale, great opportunities to move internally and learn new technologies.

Cons

Work life balance might be a little tough to attain.

Advice to Management

Improve work life balance.

Loving My Job

Current Employee - Product Specialist in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Product Specialist in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Every single day I am learning something new on the job-- I love being constantly encouraged and stretched in my role! Plus, I have the opportunity to work with people who are absolutely best in their fields.

Cons

Facebook moves extremely fast -- it can be tough to stay on top of all the product/strategy changes. Innovation is extremely important to us, so we have to make sure that all of our operational teams can keep up.

As good or better than advertised

Current Employee - Data Scientist in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Move fast and break things. . .focus on impact. . .make the world more open and connected. . .all sound like great propaganda, but does Facebook walk the walk? Overall, the answer is a resounding yes and that's what makes this place different.

Having worked in the analytical space for everything from startups to very large companies, there are several things about Facebook that are special. First, FB is like Lake Wobegon. . .all your peers are (well) above average and you will learn as much as you want from them. This can be a little intimidating at first if you're used to being the big fish in a small pond but having world class colleagues is more than worth it.

Second, the culture is as advertised. You are expected to run with things. . .it's not like a lot of places where no one person can tell you yes but anybody can say no. Waiting for consensus is not the expectation but instead you should run with something until somebody with a good reason makes it clear why you should stop. Another cultural thing is the notion of impact. . .it's really the only thing that matters. Have impact and you will prosper.

Particular to analytics, our infrastructure is ridiculously good. Having worked with large banks and ecommerce sites, poorly documented data on janky infrastructure is a real drag. Here you have powerful tools that allow you to move fast. . .but note that "you" have the tools, not some jr person at your beckon call to do your dirty work.

Last, there's all of the benefits and perks that any good tech company has to offer. . .of course they're great but that's all pretty well documented and if that's what you're fixated on you're missing the point of what makes this place great.

Cons

With amazing colleagues and a mission to change the world, of course the bar is really high. If you expect to come in, do ok work, and get great ratings then this is not the place for you. Know that you're not the only person here killing it so have different rating expectations accordingly.

Other things to know are that this is a pretty young company and in analytics we're still working out some of the bugs. Onboarding could definitely be better and given how fast you need to be up an running this is an issue. Some people managers are definitely better than others which is somewhat an artifact of managers still having lots of IC work. All things that we can (and will) improve but still a work in process.

A Spectacular Ride

Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook

Pros

- change the world, nudging a billion people at a time
    - working with the best minds around. I graduated at the top of my class, both high school and college...and so did everyone else
    - they take great care of their employees needs
    - a pace of change, despite the company's size, that will blow you away
    - an unlimited set of interesting and challenging technical problems

Cons

- they talk about "work-life blending" instead of balance, but what this means in reality is that work generally dominates your life (along with your newsfeed)
    - a growing focus on financial compensation instead of intrinsic motivators
    - at the pace and scale of the company, an individual's perceived impact is shrinking
    - using user engagement metrics as a poor substitution for user sentiment / satisfaction
    - especially in the last few years, converging with the model of most other major companies

Advice to Management

Focus on the Impact
    Move Fast, Be Bold
    What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Current Employee - Product Designer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Product Designer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

It much better working environment than most of the companies.

Cons

no such cons for company like facebook

Getting Corporate

Former Employee - Data Scientist in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Data Scientist in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Food
    - Health care benefits
    - Fringe benefits
    - Nice campus
    - Corporate shuttles
    - State of the art tech stack
    - Extremely smart coworkers
    - Visionary and bold top management

Cons

Work/life balance can get hurt as a lot of folks at the office are single and do not understand the needs of having a family.

The company is getting bigger. This means more room for backroom politics and aligning people without ruffling people's feathers.

Very talented individual contributors (and/or good at politics) are being promoted. As a result, instead of having well rounded managers, you end up having either extremely career driven or super awkward managers. Some of those middle managers are very green, making it even more painful.

Some women feel like they have to be extra tough at work because of the Leanin coolaid, making them very hard to work with.

Advice to Management

Continue the great job at investing for the future of the company.

Try to be a little more sound at the way promotions to middle management roles works.

11. Recruiting Program Specialist

Current Contractor - Recruiting Program Specialist in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Contractor - Recruiting Program Specialist in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone has heard of the perks that come with working here: free food, casual dress, flexible hours, commuter shuttles, etc. However, what I really really like are the work and the people! The company really puts an emphasis on recruiting people that are amazing to work with and making sure you have everything you need to succeed.

Cons

I have a long commute on the free shuttle

Advice to Management

Keep it going!

Showing 432 of 1,025 reviews