Facebook

Updated November 14, 2014
4.5

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg
Mark Zuckerberg

Pros
  • You have occasion to work with super smart people from the industry (in 85 reviews)

• Amazing office culture and community and the free food doesn't hurt (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • Another thing that no one will agree with me on is the work-life balance (in 54 reviews)

• Long hours away from home, due to my own commute situation and long working hours (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

86 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great working environment !!!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

Attractive salary, friendly employees and perfect working conditions !!!

Cons

Not much, it's real fun to work here !!!

MZ is doing good job, no need is there to advise him !!!

Trending towards bureaucracy

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

- Free food
    - Reasonably good compensation
    - Reasonably flexible hours
    - Lots of smart, capable people
    - Work can be exciting

Cons

- Working on product teams is trying because of the micromanagement of Zuck and other upper management. Many projects get delayed because they ask for random changes.
    - Working on backend teams doesn't have that problem, but they are typically second-class citizens and don't get as much respect as frontend teams.
    - Facebook is very large now and the bureacracy is starting to accumulate quickly. It used to be that engineers could just do stuff, but now almost every change requires a great deal of pointless discussion or overhead. For instance, you now have to fill out a form just to log some data.
    - Very strong focus on some of the "hot" product teams means that the rest of the company doesn't get preference with respect to product managers, designers, etc.
    - Most frontend work is boring mundane PHP. The only challenge comes from poorly-designed legacy systems.
    - Managers will often ask you to work on something you don't care about just because it's a priority for the company. This goes against the claimed philosophy of Facebook, but it's the way things are trending.

- Keep the bureaucracy down.
    - Reduce the rate of hiring. The marginal benefit of an additional engineer decreases fairly quickly. Going from 500 to 1000 is not going to come close to doubling the amount of work done.

fine

Current Employee - Specialist in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Specialist in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

great product, great benefits, great colleagues

Cons

incompetent managers are the downsides of FB.

follow the google management rules and stop hiring incompetent middle management from google

The toughest job you'll ever love.

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

In general, there is a high level of autonomy given to employees. We're treated like adults and given lots of responsibility. The perks are unreal compared to other places I've worked. The atmosphere is fun yet serious. We're very lucky to work here overall.

Cons

A stretched thin workforce makes for lots of pressure and heavy workload; it's hard to get everything done. Sometimes it's difficult to strike a work/life balance. There's a clique-ish aspect to the place, where the "cool kids" get the recognition and more opportunity to move around and advance.

You're doing a great job strategically. I'm happy with the overall direction of the company and our products. I just wish there were a little less favoritism shown by middle management.

Very competitive work environment but not accurately advertised as such

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Facebook

Pros

-Opportunity to write software that gets used by hundreds of millions of people
    -Opportunity to see how a successful company is run
    -Opportunity to launch often
    -Potential IPO

Cons

-Frontend work (i.e. work done in most of the product-oriented teams) is mostly mundane PHP and nothing that really intellectually challenging from a Computer Science perspective. (Backend may be different but I never tried that.)
    -Potential to get judged too quickly for performance. They are less willing than other companies to let you try something different which may be a better fit if you are not performing well enough on your current project.
    -Chaos that may hurt you--you may start out on one project but be expected to do something else for no good reason, that may not be the best fit for your skills.
    -Some managers are too busy to give useful frequent feedback.
    -I get the impression that they manage by a bell curve, but are not not being transparent about it.

Be absolutely honest to new hires about where Facebook stands in the spectrum between 'severe' and 'forgiving' for performance reviews, especially when you let new engineers choose their initial team, so that they can choose their teams carefully and pick a project they know they will do well instead of just one that catches their interest but is not necessarily a good fit for their experience and skills.

Overhyped Lifelong Hackathon

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

Good pay, if you negotiate aggressively
    Good food
    Good benefits
    Location is good, California is a nice place to live although expensive
    Lots of exposure

Cons

Management is constantly pushing you
    You don't work at your own pace, you have to work at everyone else's pace
    Need to stay after work everyday and go to work on weekends
    People are very egocentric and their ego is entirely tied to how much code they write
    I'm afraid of getting fired every single day

Engineer heaven

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

You got to write lots of code

Cons

You have to write lots of code

Be prepared to hack

By far the BEST place to work

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

Every employee has the ability to change the world everyday. It's an exciting place to work, with the smartest professionals in the industry, and awesome perks. Management is very hands off. If you are proactive you can work on any project that adds value to the company. The culture is awesome, my job is fun, and I am friends with the people I work with...I think that says a lot!

Cons

I eat, sleep, and breathe Facebook...however, this is entirely by choice. Work life balance can be difficult, if you aren't passionate about the companies mission then it might not be a place for you. With that said, most people love their jobs and choose to work long hours.

Keep the company open and maintain our culture as we grow. Continue training younger managers and develop for career paths employees.

amazing

Current Employee - Product Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

it is rthe best place to work on this earth probably thwe best employer for te century. that is the best complement i can give to a company in palo alto,claifornia,USA,North America,Earth,Solar System,Milky Way Galaxy.

Cons

i cant say anything about that because i personally feel that this is avery good comapny s o personally no downsides for working at facebook.

just chill and my heartfelt request is that employ a few cola macines for the recreation and good mood of the employees.

Awesome Place to work

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

Very open culture. Great internal communication. Management does a good job of trusting and delegating work. The best people I have worked with. Fast pace of work. The high execution focus and speed of change is amazingly - I have worked on a large number of projects that have been quickly completed and and successfully implemented.

Cons

None I can think of.

Hope we can keep the culture intact as we grow