Facebook Reviews

Reset
4.5
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg
Mark Zuckerberg

Pros
  • Your surrounded by smart people (in 85 reviews)

• Free food and frequent offsites (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work/life balance at Facebook (in 54 reviews)

• No work/life balance; long hours; must work a lot just to stay afloat; difficult for those with families and/or small children (in 26 reviews)

Open, fast, no bs

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It might be easy to roll your eyes when people from Facebook say how open their culture is, but it's true; it's more open than any other place I've worked at. At a company wide-level, secret projects, public incidents, important non-public business metrics and the like are all openly discussed. You can ask questions about them directly to Zuckerburg at the weekly Q&A. I think the idea is that if everyone is on the same page or at least, differing views are heard, the company will be stronger, and solutions may be offered from a place you didn't expect. This is much different from previous companies I worked at, where discussions on internal email lists would be shut down by some lawyer saying that there's certain things that can't be discussed, and important data is divided up to groups and individuals on a "need to know" basis, etc.

This culture applies at a lower level too. You feel comfortable giving feedback to each other about each other, about product decisions, about management, etc. The flipside of this openness is that you of course, have to be willing to receive the feedback, you have to recognize that while openness and feedback is highly encouraged, decisions have to get made, and actions and data are more valuable than words. At the higher level, since the company trusts employees with access to so much information, keeping such info confidential from the outside world is taken seriously.

It's a great place to work as an engineer. You're given a lot of freedom, but it's also a responsibility to make sure you're doing things that are valuable. You don't get much credit for working hard or being smart if you don't produce valuable output.

One cool thing about Facebook, in contrast to other comparable companies (Google, Amazon, and Microsoft, though in truth, FB is much smaller), is how they have a pretty singular focus. Even with the differing areas (including advertising and such), they do a good job of keeping their eye on their mission of connecting as many people as possible. I also think they are way more empathetic to their users than most people give them credit for. It seems like popular opinion has it that FB is arrogant and only cares about its users insomuch as they represent $-signs. From within the company, it didn't feel this way at all. I saw a lot of empathy towards users, and a lot effort spent to improve or things or fix broken things with no direct financial benefit. The strategy is not complex. The thinking is that if they can make FB easier and more fun to use, then more people will use it for more time each day (which will also have a network effect of attracting even more people to use it), then the advertising dollars will follow. Of course, it is true that FB wants to make the audience more accessible to advertisers as well, but there are a lot of people at FB who care about privacy and security.

They have really good infrastructure and really great ways to share the infrastructure and code. They have a lot of cool internal tools, and what they've built is really impressive, and more importantly, it helps your team build products faster without having to solve problems that someone else already solved. Every software company tries to do this, but FB seems to have been more successful with it. Perhaps it's because they're still relatively small, but if anything, I can at least say it is very cool while it lasts.

The perks and work environment are great, unless you're one of those types that can't stand open office spaces. I've worked in both a private office and open offices in multiple companies. While I do think a private office has some benefits, I mostly think it's a personal luxury for the employee and a huge waste of money for the company. I'd much rather have the money go into other areas like salary, benefits, and other workplace improvements rather than the added real estate necessary to have offices.

Of course, you've heard about the food and snacks. They have an amazing selection of great stuff, and what I like about it is that it sort of goes above and beyond expectations. Sure, some days, lunch is better than others, but I really can't complain, and the selection of drinks and snacks is amazing. It's not like you should work at FB just because of that, but it demonstrates FB's desire to make work as fun and convenient as possible.

You'll be surrounded by people who like being there. I can't think of a better environment to work in. If you have a giant ego, you may not like it as much. Respect is definitely given to those that have deep experience in the industry, and they are expected to lead others and mentor more junior employees. However, if for whatever reason, you can't perform at the level expected, no one is going to care if you did this and that at Google or shipped ten things at MS, etc.

FB also has a lot of fun events, and I made a lot of friends working there, so going to the events was fun. Also, if you're older and worried that FB is just a bunch of 22-year-olds, and that you won't fit in, I wouldn't worry about that. FB does have a lot of young employees (who are really smart btw), and it does hire a lot of people straight out of college, but it also attracts a lot of experienced engineers from other top companies like Google, MS, Amazon, etc.

Work-life-balance seemed totally normal to me. It may be different depending on your team, but I felt you could do 40-50 hours of work a week for the most part and you would be totally fine. It's about what you produce, not how hard you're working. Other team members who had children would work normal hours and go home at normal times. I didn't see any of these folks have a problem when they left early to take care of their child or things like that. Of course, there could be times that people are expected to work extra if something critical happens, but for the most part everyone wants to avoid this and this happens sparingly, from what I observed. Now, there were many times where I chose to work late myself, but I never felt any pressure to do so. The caveat is that there are on-call rotations, and in addition, even if you are not on-call, you are expected to be reasonably available if the on-call person needs your help. However, again, no one wants this, and your team will work on ways to avoid these situations.

The best thing I can say is that working at FB is about productivity. I didn't experience and political bs and it was a pleasure working with a group of people who were all concerned with producing a good product and making the best of the time spent while doing it.

Cons

FB expects a lot out of engineers, and you can't slack off. Of course, you shouldn't slack off at any job, but since FB is pretty fast-paced, there is a risk that you'll have trouble adjusting at first.

FB has a lot of custom infrastructure and tools, and prehaps more impressively, it works great. It makes doing your job really great, but on the other hand, you'll end up learning a lot of stuff that won't be applicable elsewhere.

FB's code-base is very good in some ways, but in other ways, it's not as great as some of the existing engineers think it is. I don't think this is that big of a deal, but the important part is that as an engineer, you need to quickly learn FB's values and practices and "get with the program" so to speak. If you don't like some things, then you just have to deal with it, as it's not likely you're going to change people's minds at this point. The nice thing is that things are at least very consistent.

Advice to Management

You need to focus on how you are going to maintain the existing culture and protocols as you grow. I think this could be really tough.

Landslide win over Google for career growth

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I just left Google and joined Facebook, and felt so much happier. The reasons are:

1. The real impact
    At Google I joined a team whose product is only used by less than 1000 people, and even for that product I was assigned to do a peripheral part, whose functionality actually doesn't matter at all. Just for that module, I had to write unit test for every silly part of the code, and took long iteration cycles. I admit those are good engineering coding trainings, however taking precious time in my life to work on something that doesn't matter is just a waste of my life.

In Facebook things just move so much faster. There are standard software engineering review process but not as rigid. Just during training (boot camp) weeks, I had tasks to change very important part of Facebook's core code, and the second day after I check-in my code, it got shipped to almost 1 billion people. As a software engineer I cannot recall a moment I felt better for my job.

Then I joined a team that's extremely important to Facebook's revenue. A mistake in the code I changed could cause Facebook million dollar a day. However Facebook just trusted us, allowed us making mistake and having quick iteration cycles to test ideas fast. If I make a coding mistake in my team in Google it might cost Google nothing in terms of revenue as my product was small, however the development process was so strict I could not have chance to try my innovations or test my ideas. But in Facebook that's all possible.

2. The organizational structure
    Google's organization is now very structured and hierarchical. Facebook is having more layers, but the working style is still flat, and social-network style. Speaking to people in different teams, form an idea, lead a virtual team and complete it, this style is still valued. My boss is more like a mentor helping me navigating through the ideas, rather than an authority telling me what to do.

Cons

1. I don't quite like the office decoration style. A little bit stressful and factory like.
    2. The compensation is better than Google but not as good as other smaller companies.
    3. Despite good acquisitions for solidify the position in social media, social networks, there is still uncertainty about the future of this company.

Data Scientist

Current Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I get to work every day on interesting problems together with incredibly smart and committed coworkers. The internal tools we have in place to perform analysis are world class.

Cons

It's very hard to advance your career if you want to have work-life balance. The fast pace and the high demands foster burnout in a lot of employees.

Advice to Management

I can only speak for Management in Analytics: The load of work in Analytics is poorly distributed. Some Data Scientists have to support several products while others get away with simply keeping track of a metric.

I would advice management to keep a check on the workload distribution, as a lot of the most talented data scientists see their careers stall as a result of this imbalance.

5. Review

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

Facebook is a great place to work

Cons

The office is pretty loud

Software Engineer

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1) Company has unique culture to make everyone a full stack all-round engineer. So if you come from companies you getting used to own an area and close the door, don't come to Facebook you can't survive.

2) Company benefits is almost the best (only some much smaller companies can beat it from some certain perspectives, but it's still much better than Google and slightly better than Linkedin). Thinking about the # of days in PTO (6 days more than Google or Microsoft), food/Micro-Kitchen (which is way better than Google/Microsoft, especially Micro-Kitchen), and almost everything else you can tell..

3) Company has very good perspective, not only due to its unique properties as a social network, but also due to its CEO Zuck who does the right things most of the time..

4) Due to reason 3), you can see people here working with more passion and happiness, there're always lots of great projects to choose from and they just don't have enough people to work on.

5) Bootcamp project is unique among large companies (I'm seeing other smaller companies like Dropbox has similar stuffs but).. This project almost make sure you can land on a team you have passion with. Whereas in companies like Google you mostly drop onto a team blindly..

6) Culture here is younger, people are generally nicer than many other companies (where you can see arrogant people sometimes), collaborative, sharing and respectful.

Cons

1) Due to its unique culture you can find yourself be "on your own" many times. You need to be able to survive under this condition.

2) Company tends to grow way too fast, some culture has getting not as good as it used to be.

3) This company does fire people.

4) In some team especially front-end you may find engineering driven less than design driven, also you find yourself very busy in some teams.

7. Positive Feedback

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook (Less than a year)

Pros

Best company for an intern! Everything is free and there is a good hotel to live!
    Worked on an independent project. (This is really good compare to some interns in Canada..)

Cons

Really good company and no big cons..
    Ok.. food is not good as heard..

Advice to Management

My manager offers me minimum help as usual.

Disneyland.

Current Employee - User Experience Researcher in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - User Experience Researcher in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I mean, it's the happiest place on Earth. It's like Disneyland except... you get paid a lot instead of the other way around. I legitimately and genuinely enjoy the people I work with and coming into work is something I look forward to after a vacation (of which we get 21 days / year). I'm not a father, but I hear if I choose to be, I get 4 months paternal leave. Comp is great, food is great, ... I never talk about where I work and what I do because I just feel so lucky to be here. It's not really fair.

Cons

We're getting huge. The last thing I want is for the company to turn into a Google/Microsoft/Amazon, but it might be inevitable. Luckily, the company takes preventative action to prevent the big corporate feeling... but it isn't working super well.

Advice to Management

Keep on keepin' on. Some of the best in the biz.

Software Engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for with amazing co-workers and benefits. One of the best places to get exposure to problems of scale, great opportunities to move internally and learn new technologies.

Cons

Work life balance might be a little tough to attain.

Advice to Management

Improve work life balance.

Very open and transparent

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

The company is very open and transparent. Leadership is incredibly open about what direction the company takes and honestly answers all questions about why certain decisions were made. Everyone says "we" and never "I" or "you" about everything. Team atmosphere and sense of mission and belonging is infectious.

Cons

Moving fast is fun and exhilarating, but it does break a lot of things. Lots of times work is derailed due to shaky infrastructure that can get frustrating.

11. Great place to work

Current Employee - Community Operations in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Community Operations in Austin, TX

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

great opportunities
    lots of learning
    good pay
    insane perks

Cons

none, they are doing everything right

Advice to Management

stop re org

Showing 853 of 1,025 reviews