Facebook Reviews

Reset
4.5
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg
Mark Zuckerberg

Pros
  • Your surrounded by smart people (in 85 reviews)

• Free food and frequent offsites (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work/life balance at Facebook (in 54 reviews)

• No work/life balance; long hours; must work a lot just to stay afloat; difficult for those with families and/or small children (in 26 reviews)

Open, fast, no bs

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It might be easy to roll your eyes when people from Facebook say how open their culture is, but it's true; it's more open than any other place I've worked at. At a company wide-level, secret projects, public incidents, important non-public business metrics and the like are all openly discussed. You can ask questions about them directly to Zuckerburg at the weekly Q&A. I think the idea is that if everyone is on the same page or at least, differing views are heard, the company will be stronger, and solutions may be offered from a place you didn't expect. This is much different from previous companies I worked at, where discussions on internal email lists would be shut down by some lawyer saying that there's certain things that can't be discussed, and important data is divided up to groups and individuals on a "need to know" basis, etc. This culture applies at a lower level too. You feel comfortable giving feedback to each other about each other, about product decisions, about management, etc. The flipside of this openness is that you of course, have to be willing to receive the feedback, you have to recognize that while openness and feedback is highly encouraged, decisions have to get made, and actions and data are more valuable than words. At the higher level, since the company trusts employees with access to so much information, keeping such info confidential from the outside world is taken seriously. It's a great place to work as an engineer. You're given a lot of freedom, but it's also a responsibility to make sure you're doing things that are valuable. You don't get much credit for working hard or being smart if you don't produce valuable output. One cool thing about Facebook, in contrast to other comparable companies (Google, Amazon, and Microsoft, though in truth, FB is much smaller), is how they have a pretty singular focus. Even with the differing areas (including advertising and such), they do a good job of keeping their eye on their mission of connecting as many people as possible. I also think they are way more empathetic to their users than most people give them credit for. It seems like popular opinion has it that FB is arrogant and only cares about its users insomuch as they represent $-signs. From within the company, it didn't feel this way at all. I saw a lot of empathy towards users, and a lot effort spent to improve or things or fix broken things with no direct financial benefit. The strategy is not complex. The thinking is that if they can make FB easier and more fun to use, then more people will use it for more time each day (which will also have a network effect of attracting even more people to use it), then the advertising dollars will follow. Of course, it is true that FB wants to make the audience more accessible to advertisers as well, but there are a lot of people at FB who care about privacy and security. They have really good infrastructure and really great ways to share the infrastructure and code. They have a lot of cool internal tools, and what they've built is really impressive, and more importantly, it helps your team build products faster without having to solve problems that someone else already solved. Every software company tries to do this, but FB seems to have been more successful with it. Perhaps it's because they're still relatively small, but if anything, I can at least say it is very cool while it lasts. The perks and work environment are great, unless you're one of those types that can't stand open office spaces. I've worked in both a private office and open offices in multiple companies. While I do think a private office has some benefits, I mostly think it's a personal luxury for the employee and a huge waste of money for the company. I'd much rather have the money go into other areas like salary, benefits, and other workplace improvements rather than the added real estate necessary to have offices. Of course, you've heard about the food and snacks. They have an amazing selection of great stuff, and what I like about it is that it sort of goes above and beyond expectations. Sure, some days, lunch is better than others, but I really can't complain, and the selection of drinks and snacks is amazing. It's not like you should work at FB just because of that, but it demonstrates FB's desire to make work as fun and convenient as possible. You'll be surrounded by people who like being there. I can't think of a better environment to work in. If you have a giant ego, you may not like it as much. Respect is definitely given to those that have deep experience in the industry, and they are expected to lead others and mentor more junior employees. However, if for whatever reason, you can't perform at the level expected, no one is going to care if you did this and that at Google or shipped ten things at MS, etc. FB also has a lot of fun events, and I made a lot of friends working there, so going to the events was fun. Also, if you're older and worried that FB is just a bunch of 22-year-olds, and that you won't fit in, I wouldn't worry about that. FB does have a lot of young employees (who are really smart btw), and it does hire a lot of people straight out of college, but it also attracts a lot of experienced engineers from other top companies like Google, MS, Amazon, etc. Work-life-balance seemed totally normal to me. It may be different depending on your team, but I felt you could do 40-50 hours of work a week for the most part and you would be totally fine. It's about what you produce, not how hard you're working. Other team members who had children would work normal hours and go home at normal times. I didn't see any of these folks have a problem when they left early to take care of their child or things like that. Of course, there could be times that people are expected to work extra if something critical happens, but for the most part everyone wants to avoid this and this happens sparingly, from what I observed. Now, there were many times where I chose to work late myself, but I never felt any pressure to do so. The caveat is that there are on-call rotations, and in addition, even if you are not on-call, you are expected to be reasonably available if the on-call person needs your help. However, again, no one wants this, and your team will work on ways to avoid these situations. The best thing I can say is that working at FB is about productivity. I didn't experience and political bs and it was a pleasure working with a group of people who were all concerned with producing a good product and making the best of the time spent while doing it.

Cons

FB expects a lot out of engineers, and you can't slack off. Of course, you shouldn't slack off at any job, but since FB is pretty fast-paced, there is a risk that you'll have trouble adjusting at first. FB has a lot of custom infrastructure and tools, and prehaps more impressively, it works great. It makes doing your job really great, but on the other hand, you'll end up learning a lot of stuff that won't be applicable elsewhere. FB's code-base is very good in some ways, but in other ways, it's not as great as some of the existing engineers think it is. I don't think this is that big of a deal, but the important part is that as an engineer, you need to quickly learn FB's values and practices and "get with the program" so to speak. If you don't like some things, then you just have to deal with it, as it's not likely you're going to change people's minds at this point. The nice thing is that things are at least very consistent.

Advice to Management

You need to focus on how you are going to maintain the existing culture and protocols as you grow. I think this could be really tough.

Jul 10, 2015 – Your Friends at Facebook

Thanks for your great feedback. We really appreciate the transparency from Mark, Sheryl, and the entire leadership team. This open culture does permeate throughout the company, and we are focused on ... More

Landslide win over Google for career growth

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I just left Google and joined Facebook, and felt so much happier. The reasons are: 1. The real impact At Google I joined a team whose product is only used by less than 1000 people, and even for that product I was assigned to do a peripheral part, whose functionality actually doesn't matter at all. Just for that module, I had to write unit test for every silly part of the code, and took long iteration cycles. I admit those are good engineering coding trainings, however taking precious time in my life to work on something that doesn't matter is just a waste of my life. In Facebook things just move so much faster. There are standard software engineering review process but not as rigid. Just during training (boot camp) weeks, I had tasks to change very important part of Facebook's core code, and the second day after I check-in my code, it got shipped to almost 1 billion people. As a software engineer I cannot recall a moment I felt better for my job. Then I joined a team that's extremely important to Facebook's revenue. A mistake in the code I changed could cause Facebook million dollar a day. However Facebook just trusted us, allowed us making mistake and having quick iteration cycles to test ideas fast. If I make a coding mistake in my team in Google it might cost Google nothing in terms of revenue as my product was small, however the development process was so strict I could not have chance to try my innovations or test my ideas. But in Facebook that's all possible. 2. The organizational structure Google's organization is now very structured and hierarchical. Facebook is having more layers, but the working style is still flat, and social-network style. Speaking to people in different teams, form an idea, lead a virtual team and complete it, this style is still valued. My boss is more like a mentor helping me navigating through the ideas, rather than an authority telling me what to do.

Cons

1. I don't quite like the office decoration style. A little bit stressful and factory like. 2. The compensation is better than Google but not as good as other smaller companies. 3. Despite good acquisitions for solidify the position in social media, social networks, there is still uncertainty about the future of this company.

Jul 10, 2015 – Your Friends at Facebook

We're happy to hear that you are thriving at Facebook and have been making an impact from day 1. Being nimble and moving fast, much like a start-up but at such a large scale, is what makes our ... More

3. Awesome perks, smart co-workers, great environment for engineers

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook (More than a year)

Pros

- Really good perks - Challenging yet fun work environment. Engineers have a lot of say in the product.

Cons

The company is getting bigger day by day.

5. Summer Intern

Pros

Great place to work, high energy, and everyone is very helpful and friendly for the most part.

Cons

Every now and then, you run into a bad egg who thinks they're more important than the company. But this happened much less frequently than at any other place I've worked.

Advice to Management

Keep the company feeling small, don't let growth ruin the values we all believe in

6. Unreal Work Environment

Current Employee - L&D in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - L&D in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture is the real selling point here. Facebook looks to leverage people's passions. The focus on strengths, openness and care is so refreshing. Facebook takes care of its employees to a degree I never could have imagined, and there always innovating to do even more. Here's what I take advantage of in terms of perks: Gym with a variety of fitness classes to suit anyone's interests Free food, sourced sustainably, local whenever possible, with options for everyone To go along with above, the sweet shop full of fresh baked goodies and rotating ice cream flavors Spa on site (you pay for the services but it's so convenient) Free laundry service up to $40/month Shuttles from all over the bay area with wifi so your day starts when your commute starts Amazing benefits and leave policies

Cons

No matter where you come from, it's trafficky to get to the offices in MPK.

The perception of the Facebook couldn't be more wrong

Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I started at Facebook 2 years ago, truthfully, I felt the same way many young internet denizens felt about the tech behemoth. They were big brother-ish and embodied the inevitable 1984 dystopia we were slowly slipping into. But what I found on the inside was something I never would have expected. For the most part, people felt the same way I did -- in that they were eminently aware of Facebook's role in the future of the internet, privacy, and our general way of life on the internet. "And with great power comes great responsibility" is something people silently carry with them all day. We relentlessly debate merits of products and policies internally, and always put people in the center of those discussions. I know this all sounds nice, but what about X, Y, Z thing or policy that we've been criticized for? We have definitely made mistakes in the past, some worse than others, and I'm sure we'll continue to make mistakes. But every time we do we earnestly try to learn from them. I feel like if people could walk around the halls and see how much we care about the humans using our products, they might see the company in a different light. But regardless, actions speak infinitely louder than words, and I hope in time we'll earn the respect of the internet by truly making good decisions that are in the mutual interest of the people using Facebook as well as our shareholders. Long after I leave the company I will have a soft spot for the people doing great, passionate work here.

Cons

I honestly don't have any concrete negatives. I would say a certain type of personality won't cut it at FB -- if you don't have empathy for your coworkers or you have trouble giving/receiving constructive feedback, you won't last long.

Advice to Management

If I had Zuck face to face I don't think I could actually give him any advice. The idea that I'd know better than him considering how much more context he has on the business is a bit absurd... I would say, keep approaching problems they way you always have, and keep pushing to maintain a culture of empathy.

Sep 4, 2015 – Your Friends at Facebook

This is such an amazing testament to the people at Facebook, and the genuine concern we have for the community of people who use Facebook. It really reflects our “ship love” mantra. We wish more ... More

8. Recruiter

Current Employee - Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Facebook (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing company where you are given lots of autonomy and trust. Great perks! Friendly and fun.

Cons

Need to give more feedback and room for improvement.

General Statement about the Tech Industry

Former Employee - Technical Program Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Program Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pinnacle of Industry, work with the passionately intelligent people.

Cons

Disneyland Capitalism, fun and games on the surface with a monolithic corporation underneath.

Fun Perks, High Energy, Impact, but Give Up Your Life

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Spent three years on the hiring team & found the hacky whacky culture fun for the most part. Key to success is forging the right relationships. Be sure to manage your own career because no one will do it for you.

Cons

Politics abound, lack of management training, questionable review cycles, erratic tangible roadmap outside of high-level ideas

Advice to Management

Get better training, nurture your employees, and truly play to their strengths

Overachievers Wanted

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Facebook (More than a year)

Pros

Free food, smart people, potential to work on impactful products

Cons

Unclear expectations, burnout rate is high

Showing 901 of 1,094 reviews