Facebook

Updated January 27, 2015
4.4

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg
Mark Zuckerberg

Pros
  • You have occasion to work with super smart people from the industry (in 85 reviews)

• Amazing office culture and community and the free food doesn't hurt (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • Another thing that no one will agree with me on is the work-life balance (in 54 reviews)

• Long hours away from home, due to my own commute situation and long working hours (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Open, fast, no bs

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Facebook full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It might be easy to roll your eyes when people from Facebook say how open their culture is, but it's true; it's more open than any other place I've worked at. At a company wide-level, secret projects, public incidents, important non-public business metrics and the like are all openly discussed. You can ask questions about them directly to Zuckerburg at the weekly Q&A. I think the idea is that if everyone is on the same page or at least, differing views are heard, the company will be stronger, and solutions may be offered from a place you didn't expect. This is much different from previous companies I worked at, where discussions on internal email lists would be shut down by some lawyer saying that there's certain things that can't be discussed, and important data is divided up to groups and individuals on a "need to know" basis, etc.

This culture applies at a lower level too. You feel comfortable giving feedback to each other about each other, about product decisions, about management, etc. The flipside of this openness is that you of course, have to be willing to receive the feedback, you have to recognize that while openness and feedback is highly encouraged, decisions have to get made, and actions and data are more valuable than words. At the higher level, since the company trusts employees with access to so much information, keeping such info confidential from the outside world is taken seriously.

It's a great place to work as an engineer. You're given a lot of freedom, but it's also a responsibility to make sure you're doing things that are valuable. You don't get much credit for working hard or being smart if you don't produce valuable output.

One cool thing about Facebook, in contrast to other comparable companies (Google, Amazon, and Microsoft, though in truth, FB is much smaller), is how they have a pretty singular focus. Even with the differing areas (including advertising and such), they do a good job of keeping their eye on their mission of connecting as many people as possible. I also think they are way more empathetic to their users than most people give them credit for. It seems like popular opinion has it that FB is arrogant and only cares about its users insomuch as they represent $-signs. From within the company, it didn't feel this way at all. I saw a lot of empathy towards users, and a lot effort spent to improve or things or fix broken things with no direct financial benefit. The strategy is not complex. The thinking is that if they can make FB easier and more fun to use, then more people will use it for more time each day (which will also have a network effect of attracting even more people to use it), then the advertising dollars will follow. Of course, it is true that FB wants to make the audience more accessible to advertisers as well, but there are a lot of people at FB who care about privacy and security.

They have really good infrastructure and really great ways to share the infrastructure and code. They have a lot of cool internal tools, and what they've built is really impressive, and more importantly, it helps your team build products faster without having to solve problems that someone else already solved. Every software company tries to do this, but FB seems to have been more successful with it. Perhaps it's because they're still relatively small, but if anything, I can at least say it is very cool while it lasts.

The perks and work environment are great, unless you're one of those types that can't stand open office spaces. I've worked in both a private office and open offices in multiple companies. While I do think a private office has some benefits, I mostly think it's a personal luxury for the employee and a huge waste of money for the company. I'd much rather have the money go into other areas like salary, benefits, and other workplace improvements rather than the added real estate necessary to have offices.

Of course, you've heard about the food and snacks. They have an amazing selection of great stuff, and what I like about it is that it sort of goes above and beyond expectations. Sure, some days, lunch is better than others, but I really can't complain, and the selection of drinks and snacks is amazing. It's not like you should work at FB just because of that, but it demonstrates FB's desire to make work as fun and convenient as possible.

You'll be surrounded by people who like being there. I can't think of a better environment to work in. If you have a giant ego, you may not like it as much. Respect is definitely given to those that have deep experience in the industry, and they are expected to lead others and mentor more junior employees. However, if for whatever reason, you can't perform at the level expected, no one is going to care if you did this and that at Google or shipped ten things at MS, etc.

FB also has a lot of fun events, and I made a lot of friends working there, so going to the events was fun. Also, if you're older and worried that FB is just a bunch of 22-year-olds, and that you won't fit in, I wouldn't worry about that. FB does have a lot of young employees (who are really smart btw), and it does hire a lot of people straight out of college, but it also attracts a lot of experienced engineers from other top companies like Google, MS, Amazon, etc.

Work-life-balance seemed totally normal to me. It may be different depending on your team, but I felt you could do 40-50 hours of work a week for the most part and you would be totally fine. It's about what you produce, not how hard you're working. Other team members who had children would work normal hours and go home at normal times. I didn't see any of these folks have a problem when they left early to take care of their child or things like that. Of course, there could be times that people are expected to work extra if something critical happens, but for the most part everyone wants to avoid this and this happens sparingly, from what I observed. Now, there were many times where I chose to work late myself, but I never felt any pressure to do so. The caveat is that there are on-call rotations, and in addition, even if you are not on-call, you are expected to be reasonably available if the on-call person needs your help. However, again, no one wants this, and your team will work on ways to avoid these situations.

The best thing I can say is that working at FB is about productivity. I didn't experience and political bs and it was a pleasure working with a group of people who were all concerned with producing a good product and making the best of the time spent while doing it.

Cons

FB expects a lot out of engineers, and you can't slack off. Of course, you shouldn't slack off at any job, but since FB is pretty fast-paced, there is a risk that you'll have trouble adjusting at first.

FB has a lot of custom infrastructure and tools, and prehaps more impressively, it works great. It makes doing your job really great, but on the other hand, you'll end up learning a lot of stuff that won't be applicable elsewhere.

FB's code-base is very good in some ways, but in other ways, it's not as great as some of the existing engineers think it is. I don't think this is that big of a deal, but the important part is that as an engineer, you need to quickly learn FB's values and practices and "get with the program" so to speak. If you don't like some things, then you just have to deal with it, as it's not likely you're going to change people's minds at this point. The nice thing is that things are at least very consistent.

You need to focus on how you are going to maintain the existing culture and protocols as you grow. I think this could be really tough.

Make a real impact on a lot of people!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

Facebook is easily dismissed as just a social network, and the nature of the product makes it subject to a lot of critique. However, if you take a step back, it's truly marvelous that a product supports about a billion users everyday.

Career opportunities are great, you can move fast and contribute, the company pays for all your stuff, the company has tons of money, tremendous job security if you make an impact, free food, tons of perks that I cannot even begin to list, great young talented coworkers, amazing lively environment (not slow, like Google), great benefits, compensation.

Cons

Engineering isn't as advanced as Google (owing to very young age and inexperience of workers),
    You can find messy code if you look in the nooks and crannies.

The BEST company I have ever worked for

Current Employee - User Operations Contractor in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - User Operations Contractor in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

-Amazing free food, fully stocked kitchens
    -Open and transparent environment
    -Management that truly cares about their employees
    -Free bikes around campus
    -Beautiful campus that makes me want to live at work
    -A very fun and exciting workplace suitable for young people
    -The culture motivates innovation
    -High pay
    -Working for the BEST CEO of all time!

Cons

-contractors are only limited to working at FB for a year, and must wait 3 months to come back

Keep up the great work!

Communications Intern, less than 1 Year

Former Employee - Communications Intern in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Communications Intern in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

- Training, office environment, benefits, project management, organization, teamwork

Cons

- Commute, segmented responsibilities, work-life balance

Keep it up

Once in a lifetime opportunity to create solutions for problems at a scale that not many other companies can even touch.

Current Employee - SMB Marketing in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - SMB Marketing in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Culture
    - Top leadership
    - Product strength
    - Ability to learn

Cons

- It's growing big rapidly, and new rung of leadership is not always clued into "Facebook" culture and style
    - Many teams still bias towards personalities - it matters who you know at Facebook

Fulfilling roles with lots of responsibility working towards fulfilling a powerful mission.

Current Employee - Product Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flat org structures
    Growing company and professional opportunities
    Open and transparent leadership
    Incredible employee perks

Cons

Frequent management and org changes

Good

I worked at Facebook

Pros

Great culture, super awesome place

Cons

Poor advancement, very clique like

Awesome

Software Engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good foo, good envirment
    The people are all really great and the company really trains you well. Maybe the most structured training program I've seen. Very professional but friendly environment.

Cons

too crowded, need to valet parking
    The location isn't ideal. It's kind of a not-so-nice part of town. Many people commute an hour each way, since they don't want to live in the area.

Overall is good
    Your path to success is to hire good people and stay out of their way.

Great Culture

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

Engineers First, Period.
    Code ships fast.
    Bored, easy transfer to other internal teams.
    Easy to take lead on new projects.

Cons

Takes a while to earn credibility if not senior when you sign on

Fast paced, fun, young, exciting.

Former Employee - Software Engineering in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook

Pros

A very fun workplace setting, suitable for young people. Open culture encourages everyone to know exactly what's going on internally. For engineers, you have a wide range of team choices, and you are given the opportunity to learn something completely new. There are a ton of great benefits and you will end up meeting and learning from very intelligent people. Opportunities for growth happen very quickly from what I have seen and people genuinely care about each other. The open environment encourages you to step out of your comfort zone.

Cons

Work life balance, or lack thereof. This will depend on your team. There are teams that work long hours and weekends just because they love what they do, or they want to meet a deadline, etc. It can be difficult to have work life balance with smaller teams, but it can be easier to control with a larger team.
    There are a handful of negative people at the company that look down on interns or new hires even though they themselves just started a few months ago. Some people get very sensitive about the products they own, even if they are just internal tools, and are surprisingly very unopened to criticism.
    In the end, it's about the money. If a product is doing very well, there will be a huge hiring push, which can be overwhelming at times.