Facebook

Facebook Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg

Mark Zuckerberg

Pros
  • The best thing about this place is that you have so many smart people around you (in 70 reviews)

• Free food, young and lively coworkers, downtown location (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • Not the most understanding environment when it comes to work/life balance (in 42 reviews)

• Long Hours and some times you cant balance work and your personal life (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

Open, fast, no bs

Software Development Engineer (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsIt might be easy to roll your eyes when people from Facebook say how open their culture is, but it's true; it's more open than any other place I've worked at. At a company wide-level, secret projects, public incidents, important non-public business metrics and the like are all openly discussed. You can ask questions about them directly to Zuckerburg at the weekly Q&A. I think the idea is that if everyone is on the same page or at least, differing views are heard, the company will be stronger, and solutions may be offered from a place you didn't expect. This is much different from previous companies I worked at, where discussions on internal email lists would be shut down by some lawyer saying that there's certain things that can't be discussed, and important data is divided up to groups and individuals on a "need to know" basis, etc.

This culture applies at a lower level too. You feel comfortable giving feedback to each other about each other, about product decisions, about management, etc. The flipside of this openness is that you of course, have to be willing to receive the feedback, you have to recognize that while openness and feedback is highly encouraged, decisions have to get made, and actions and data are more valuable than words. At the higher level, since the company trusts employees with access to so much information, keeping such info confidential from the outside world is taken seriously.

It's a great place to work as an engineer. You're given a lot of freedom, but it's also a responsibility to make sure you're doing things that are valuable. You don't get much credit for working hard or being smart if you don't produce valuable output.

One cool thing about Facebook, in contrast to other comparable companies (Google, Amazon, and Microsoft, though in truth, FB is much smaller), is how they have a pretty singular focus. Even with the differing areas (including advertising and such), they do a good job of keeping their eye on their mission of connecting as many people as possible. I also think they are way more empathetic to their users than most people give them credit for. It seems like popular opinion has it that FB is arrogant and only cares about its users insomuch as they represent $-signs. From within the company, it didn't feel this way at all. I saw a lot of empathy towards users, and a lot effort spent to improve or things or fix broken things with no direct financial benefit. The strategy is not complex. The thinking is that if they can make FB easier and more fun to use, then more people will use it for more time each day (which will also have a network effect of attracting even more people to use it), then the advertising dollars will follow. Of course, it is true that FB wants to make the audience more accessible to advertisers as well, but there are a lot of people at FB who care about privacy and security.

They have really good infrastructure and really great ways to share the infrastructure and code. They have a lot of cool internal tools, and what they've built is really impressive, and more importantly, it helps your team build products faster without having to solve problems that someone else already solved. Every software company tries to do this, but FB seems to have been more successful with it. Perhaps it's because they're still relatively small, but if anything, I can at least say it is very cool while it lasts.

The perks and work environment are great, unless you're one of those types that can't stand open office spaces. I've worked in both a private office and open offices in multiple companies. While I do think a private office has some benefits, I mostly think it's a personal luxury for the employee and a huge waste of money for the company. I'd much rather have the money go into other areas like salary, benefits, and other workplace improvements rather than the added real estate necessary to have offices.

Of course, you've heard about the food and snacks. They have an amazing selection of great stuff, and what I like about it is that it sort of goes above and beyond expectations. Sure, some days, lunch is better than others, but I really can't complain, and the selection of drinks and snacks is amazing. It's not like you should work at FB just because of that, but it demonstrates FB's desire to make work as fun and convenient as possible.

You'll be surrounded by people who like being there. I can't think of a better environment to work in. If you have a giant ego, you may not like it as much. Respect is definitely given to those that have deep experience in the industry, and they are expected to lead others and mentor more junior employees. However, if for whatever reason, you can't perform at the level expected, no one is going to care if you did this and that at Google or shipped ten things at MS, etc.

FB also has a lot of fun events, and I made a lot of friends working there, so going to the events was fun. Also, if you're older and worried that FB is just a bunch of 22-year-olds, and that you won't fit in, I wouldn't worry about that. FB does have a lot of young employees (who are really smart btw), and it does hire a lot of people straight out of college, but it also attracts a lot of experienced engineers from other top companies like Google, MS, Amazon, etc.

Work-life-balance seemed totally normal to me. It may be different depending on your team, but I felt you could do 40-50 hours of work a week for the most part and you would be totally fine. It's about what you produce, not how hard you're working. Other team members who had children would work normal hours and go home at normal times. I didn't see any of these folks have a problem when they left early to take care of their child or things like that. Of course, there could be times that people are expected to work extra if something critical happens, but for the most part everyone wants to avoid this and this happens sparingly, from what I observed. Now, there were many times where I chose to work late myself, but I never felt any pressure to do so. The caveat is that there are on-call rotations, and in addition, even if you are not on-call, you are expected to be reasonably available if the on-call person needs your help. However, again, no one wants this, and your team will work on ways to avoid these situations.

The best thing I can say is that working at FB is about productivity. I didn't experience and political bs and it was a pleasure working with a group of people who were all concerned with producing a good product and making the best of the time spent while doing it.

ConsFB expects a lot out of engineers, and you can't slack off. Of course, you shouldn't slack off at any job, but since FB is pretty fast-paced, there is a risk that you'll have trouble adjusting at first.

FB has a lot of custom infrastructure and tools, and prehaps more impressively, it works great. It makes doing your job really great, but on the other hand, you'll end up learning a lot of stuff that won't be applicable elsewhere.

FB's code-base is very good in some ways, but in other ways, it's not as great as some of the existing engineers think it is. I don't think this is that big of a deal, but the important part is that as an engineer, you need to quickly learn FB's values and practices and "get with the program" so to speak. If you don't like some things, then you just have to deal with it, as it's not likely you're going to change people's minds at this point. The nice thing is that things are at least very consistent.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to focus on how you are going to maintain the existing culture and protocols as you grow. I think this could be really tough.

An amazing time

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA

Pros- Great reach
    - Great people
    - Great resources
    - Great projects
    - Great perks & compensation

The fast-paced movement really aligns well with me.

ConsYour life inside and outside of work will likely become blended. This may be okay. Many people at the company have become my friends.

Very informative learning experience for early entry post-graduates.

Human Operations Analyst (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsOne of the most recognizable companies in the business, laid-back, high influx of determined/capable young professionals.

ConsThe compensation was a bit lower than I felt it should have been.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe extroverted, open to teamwork, etc.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazing company where engineers rule

ProsFacebook has amazing perks for employees and tried really hard to be the best employer in the valley. Their benefits are next to none and the company is genuinely interested in ensuring that people are happy and stay for the long run. Also the people in the company are really smart and hence it is easy to have a super enriching experience working here.

ConsThe work atmosphere is intense and too engineering centric. Some employees have risen quickly as they have been in the right place at the right time but are not necessarily the best for their role.

Great company

ProsGreat benefits, dynamic environment, laid back

ConsNothing comes to my mind

Great perks and work-life balance, really smart people, challenging problems

Software Engineering Intern (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsThe people here are all really smart. The emphasis is on output and you're pretty much in control of your hours, it's normal to get out in the middle of the day to hit the gym, etc. Perks are also great, can't beat the food and the micro-kitchens. And every change you make to the code instantly impacts hundreds of millions of users.

ConsAt least for internships, teams are somewhat hit-or-miss: some teams work on really exciting products while others, not so much.

If you are over 40 Beware!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits are great, and there are some very smart an engaging people

ConsMany departments within Facebook have a maturity problem. If, you are 40 or older, I would not apply.

Advice to Senior ManagementMs. Sandburg as the COO needs to evaluate the lack of maturity of those who surround her...the lack of experience is going to cost Facebook potential law suits and brand reputation

Exciting to work and make an impact immedately . But it is starting to get big

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCan work with very smart people and make impact immidiately

ConsIts getting bigger and too many people now

Not so great unless you are FTE

ProsPleasant atmosphere. Convenient onsite perks. Friendly, well-meaning people. Opportunities to be hired in-house if someone likes you.

ConsAs a vendor you are a second-class citizen. One may have the responsibility for a project, but no one consults your opinion on how to best execute. Too much top-down, one-way communication. Reactionary, impulsive decision making based on limited, often incorrect or incomplete, information makes it difficult to focus and be effective on longterm goals.

Everything is based on relationships. So if you are an FTE, you could be completely inept, inappropriate, offensive and egotistical, (--as long as it's to a vendor--) but if you get along well with the right people, it's overlooked.

I recommend working here only as an FTE.

Advice to Senior ManagementSurvey your contingent and contract workers. Most of these people are just as dedicated, intelligent and capable. Practice more inclusion and gratitude.

AGist

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat place to work and get things done, tons of energy, no obstacles to creativity, very, very, very talented people

ConsDo not even consider a full-time role here if you are over 40. The average employee is very young, and doesn't know how to treat more senior people with anything more than patronizing, sophomoric arrogance, you know: "You might think you've done this before and know what you're doing, but even though I've never done it before I'm going to be able to do it better than you." The company is lucky that it is being buoyed by ad revenue, which makes up for a lot of short sightedness when it comes to management and the efficiency brought by experience

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen up to a truly diverse workforce that is designing social networking tools for the whole world, not just for the people who work at Facebook today.

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!