Facebook Reviews

Reset
4.5
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg
Mark Zuckerberg

Pros
  • Your surrounded by smart people (in 85 reviews)

• Free food and frequent offsites (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work/life balance at Facebook (in 54 reviews)

• No work/life balance; long hours; must work a lot just to stay afloat; difficult for those with families and/or small children (in 26 reviews)

Open, fast, no bs

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It might be easy to roll your eyes when people from Facebook say how open their culture is, but it's true; it's more open than any other place I've worked at. At a company wide-level, secret projects, public incidents, important non-public business metrics and the like are all openly discussed. You can ask questions about them directly to Zuckerburg at the weekly Q&A. I think the idea is that if everyone is on the same page or at least, differing views are heard, the company will be stronger, and solutions may be offered from a place you didn't expect. This is much different from previous companies I worked at, where discussions on internal email lists would be shut down by some lawyer saying that there's certain things that can't be discussed, and important data is divided up to groups and individuals on a "need to know" basis, etc. This culture applies at a lower level too. You feel comfortable giving feedback to each other about each other, about product decisions, about management, etc. The flipside of this openness is that you of course, have to be willing to receive the feedback, you have to recognize that while openness and feedback is highly encouraged, decisions have to get made, and actions and data are more valuable than words. At the higher level, since the company trusts employees with access to so much information, keeping such info confidential from the outside world is taken seriously. It's a great place to work as an engineer. You're given a lot of freedom, but it's also a responsibility to make sure you're doing things that are valuable. You don't get much credit for working hard or being smart if you don't produce valuable output. One cool thing about Facebook, in contrast to other comparable companies (Google, Amazon, and Microsoft, though in truth, FB is much smaller), is how they have a pretty singular focus. Even with the differing areas (including advertising and such), they do a good job of keeping their eye on their mission of connecting as many people as possible. I also think they are way more empathetic to their users than most people give them credit for. It seems like popular opinion has it that FB is arrogant and only cares about its users insomuch as they represent $-signs. From within the company, it didn't feel this way at all. I saw a lot of empathy towards users, and a lot effort spent to improve or things or fix broken things with no direct financial benefit. The strategy is not complex. The thinking is that if they can make FB easier and more fun to use, then more people will use it for more time each day (which will also have a network effect of attracting even more people to use it), then the advertising dollars will follow. Of course, it is true that FB wants to make the audience more accessible to advertisers as well, but there are a lot of people at FB who care about privacy and security. They have really good infrastructure and really great ways to share the infrastructure and code. They have a lot of cool internal tools, and what they've built is really impressive, and more importantly, it helps your team build products faster without having to solve problems that someone else already solved. Every software company tries to do this, but FB seems to have been more successful with it. Perhaps it's because they're still relatively small, but if anything, I can at least say it is very cool while it lasts. The perks and work environment are great, unless you're one of those types that can't stand open office spaces. I've worked in both a private office and open offices in multiple companies. While I do think a private office has some benefits, I mostly think it's a personal luxury for the employee and a huge waste of money for the company. I'd much rather have the money go into other areas like salary, benefits, and other workplace improvements rather than the added real estate necessary to have offices. Of course, you've heard about the food and snacks. They have an amazing selection of great stuff, and what I like about it is that it sort of goes above and beyond expectations. Sure, some days, lunch is better than others, but I really can't complain, and the selection of drinks and snacks is amazing. It's not like you should work at FB just because of that, but it demonstrates FB's desire to make work as fun and convenient as possible. You'll be surrounded by people who like being there. I can't think of a better environment to work in. If you have a giant ego, you may not like it as much. Respect is definitely given to those that have deep experience in the industry, and they are expected to lead others and mentor more junior employees. However, if for whatever reason, you can't perform at the level expected, no one is going to care if you did this and that at Google or shipped ten things at MS, etc. FB also has a lot of fun events, and I made a lot of friends working there, so going to the events was fun. Also, if you're older and worried that FB is just a bunch of 22-year-olds, and that you won't fit in, I wouldn't worry about that. FB does have a lot of young employees (who are really smart btw), and it does hire a lot of people straight out of college, but it also attracts a lot of experienced engineers from other top companies like Google, MS, Amazon, etc. Work-life-balance seemed totally normal to me. It may be different depending on your team, but I felt you could do 40-50 hours of work a week for the most part and you would be totally fine. It's about what you produce, not how hard you're working. Other team members who had children would work normal hours and go home at normal times. I didn't see any of these folks have a problem when they left early to take care of their child or things like that. Of course, there could be times that people are expected to work extra if something critical happens, but for the most part everyone wants to avoid this and this happens sparingly, from what I observed. Now, there were many times where I chose to work late myself, but I never felt any pressure to do so. The caveat is that there are on-call rotations, and in addition, even if you are not on-call, you are expected to be reasonably available if the on-call person needs your help. However, again, no one wants this, and your team will work on ways to avoid these situations. The best thing I can say is that working at FB is about productivity. I didn't experience and political bs and it was a pleasure working with a group of people who were all concerned with producing a good product and making the best of the time spent while doing it.

Cons

FB expects a lot out of engineers, and you can't slack off. Of course, you shouldn't slack off at any job, but since FB is pretty fast-paced, there is a risk that you'll have trouble adjusting at first. FB has a lot of custom infrastructure and tools, and prehaps more impressively, it works great. It makes doing your job really great, but on the other hand, you'll end up learning a lot of stuff that won't be applicable elsewhere. FB's code-base is very good in some ways, but in other ways, it's not as great as some of the existing engineers think it is. I don't think this is that big of a deal, but the important part is that as an engineer, you need to quickly learn FB's values and practices and "get with the program" so to speak. If you don't like some things, then you just have to deal with it, as it's not likely you're going to change people's minds at this point. The nice thing is that things are at least very consistent.

Advice to Management

You need to focus on how you are going to maintain the existing culture and protocols as you grow. I think this could be really tough.

Facebook Response

Jul 10, 2015 – Your Friends at Facebook

Thanks for your great feedback. We really appreciate the transparency from Mark, Sheryl, and the entire leadership team. This open culture does permeate throughout the company, and we are focused on ... More

Landslide win over Google for career growth

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I just left Google and joined Facebook, and felt so much happier. The reasons are: 1. The real impact At Google I joined a team whose product is only used by less than 1000 people, and even for that product I was assigned to do a peripheral part, whose functionality actually doesn't matter at all. Just for that module, I had to write unit test for every silly part of the code, and took long iteration cycles. I admit those are good engineering coding trainings, however taking precious time in my life to work on something that doesn't matter is just a waste of my life. In Facebook things just move so much faster. There are standard software engineering review process but not as rigid. Just during training (boot camp) weeks, I had tasks to change very important part of Facebook's core code, and the second day after I check-in my code, it got shipped to almost 1 billion people. As a software engineer I cannot recall a moment I felt better for my job. Then I joined a team that's extremely important to Facebook's revenue. A mistake in the code I changed could cause Facebook million dollar a day. However Facebook just trusted us, allowed us making mistake and having quick iteration cycles to test ideas fast. If I make a coding mistake in my team in Google it might cost Google nothing in terms of revenue as my product was small, however the development process was so strict I could not have chance to try my innovations or test my ideas. But in Facebook that's all possible. 2. The organizational structure Google's organization is now very structured and hierarchical. Facebook is having more layers, but the working style is still flat, and social-network style. Speaking to people in different teams, form an idea, lead a virtual team and complete it, this style is still valued. My boss is more like a mentor helping me navigating through the ideas, rather than an authority telling me what to do.

Cons

1. I don't quite like the office decoration style. A little bit stressful and factory like. 2. The compensation is better than Google but not as good as other smaller companies. 3. Despite good acquisitions for solidify the position in social media, social networks, there is still uncertainty about the future of this company.

Facebook Response

Jul 10, 2015 – Your Friends at Facebook

We're happy to hear that you are thriving at Facebook and have been making an impact from day 1. Being nimble and moving fast, much like a start-up but at such a large scale, is what makes our ... More

Great freedom

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- great learning opportunities - high degree of freedom - strong sense of ownership

Cons

- some managers aren't really manager material, but just did a lateral switch for the wrong reasons - despite having some truly exceptional people, there are a number of new hires that are sub-par - work life balance varies immensely across teams, from very relaxed (10-6, mon-fri), to very ridiculous (12h+, 6+days a week)...

Advice to Management

Continue passing down the ideals strongly across the hierarchy!

5. Amazing learning opportunities

Current Employee - Data Scientist in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Learning opportunities are really unparalleled. There are so many different 'camps', classes, and informal learning opportunities at the company. If you have an interest in a topic, most likely someone else is equally interested in teaching you about it. - Many of the little things are taken care of for you: food, laundry, shuttle, gym, etc. It does add up, from both a money and time perspective. - Managers care! I've had better and worse managers, but one unifying theme is that they all have good intentions, which I can't say for every manager I've had in my short career.

Cons

- Salary growth can be somewhat linear...and the y-axis (what you start off at), has more weight than it should for a young company. - Easy for performance to all clump together at the above expectations rating, which really makes it difficult to stand out.

Advice to Management

Work more aggressively to reward hard work with proper reviews and compensation.

Sales Client Partner

Current Employee - Client Partner in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Client Partner in New York, NY

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful company and great benefits. Fantastic culture, a true leader in our industry and an example for other companies to follow. Great supporter of equal pay and opportunities for all.

Cons

Pace is incredibly hard and demanding. Growing too fast at times. Need to slow down and put more alignment in place. Almost too transparent with our employees with information and data. They really do share a lot, there are positives and negatives to that, such as when new products get leaked to the press.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, putting people first at the core of our product and services. And treating your employees with great care and kindness.

Top of the Field

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, great benefits, interesting work. You get to work with some of the best engineers in the world, and the business is doing incredibly well.

Cons

Work-life balance, while better than most top tech companies and certainly startups, is always a struggle. Unstructured work environment is a challenge to some.

Advice to Management

Make you employees feel like it's OK to unplug and recharge. Make employee calibrations more transparent.

Contractor

Current Employee - Culinary Recruiter and Human Resources Assistant in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Facebook (Less than a year)

Pros

free food, gym, culture, people, work flexibility

Cons

noisy, contractors treated differently, lots of changes

9. Can't imagine a better workplace

Current Employee - Technical Writer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Writer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Open culture - no secret projects * Opportunity for growth * Access to management via weekly Q&As * Lots of learning and development courses * Encouragement to work on what you are passionate about * Perks and benefits can change according to what employees want most

Cons

The company is scaling rapidly, so while there is still a start-up culture, it's impossible to have the type of familiarity with all your coworkers and knowledge of all active projects you'd have at a smaller place.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

marketing manager

I have been working at Facebook full-time

Pros

great party time at the office after work

Cons

Total waste of my life and potential for a evil corporate giant

High Impact, Great Responsiblity

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of internal opportunities- Facebook is growing in both products and it's people. Smaller and lean teams so that one can grow their career quickly. Given a large amount of responsibility and has the viewpoint that to be promoted, you should be consistently performing at the next level. People there are gems. There is a strong hiring bar. Magical campus, great amenities- spa, gym, laundry, food, wifi transportation- so that you can focus on your work. Quick to change processes to make things better. Treats feedback like it's a gift.

Cons

You will work hard and there aren't always lulls like at other companies. I don't see this as a con though since this is the type of opportunity I was looking for.

Advice to Management

More tools and tips on how we should prioritize or day since we operate so lean.

Showing 871 of 1,047 reviews