Facebook

Updated March 1, 2015
4.7

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg
Mark Zuckerberg

Pros
  • You have occasion to work with super smart people from the industry (in 85 reviews)

• Amazing office culture and community and the free food doesn't hurt (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • Another thing that no one will agree with me on is the work-life balance (in 54 reviews)

• Long hours away from home, due to my own commute situation and long working hours (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Open, fast, no bs

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Facebook full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It might be easy to roll your eyes when people from Facebook say how open their culture is, but it's true; it's more open than any other place I've worked at. At a company wide-level, secret projects, public incidents, important non-public business metrics and the like are all openly discussed. You can ask questions about them directly to Zuckerburg at the weekly Q&A. I think the idea is that if everyone is on the same page or at least, differing views are heard, the company will be stronger, and solutions may be offered from a place you didn't expect. This is much different from previous companies I worked at, where discussions on internal email lists would be shut down by some lawyer saying that there's certain things that can't be discussed, and important data is divided up to groups and individuals on a "need to know" basis, etc.

This culture applies at a lower level too. You feel comfortable giving feedback to each other about each other, about product decisions, about management, etc. The flipside of this openness is that you of course, have to be willing to receive the feedback, you have to recognize that while openness and feedback is highly encouraged, decisions have to get made, and actions and data are more valuable than words. At the higher level, since the company trusts employees with access to so much information, keeping such info confidential from the outside world is taken seriously.

It's a great place to work as an engineer. You're given a lot of freedom, but it's also a responsibility to make sure you're doing things that are valuable. You don't get much credit for working hard or being smart if you don't produce valuable output.

One cool thing about Facebook, in contrast to other comparable companies (Google, Amazon, and Microsoft, though in truth, FB is much smaller), is how they have a pretty singular focus. Even with the differing areas (including advertising and such), they do a good job of keeping their eye on their mission of connecting as many people as possible. I also think they are way more empathetic to their users than most people give them credit for. It seems like popular opinion has it that FB is arrogant and only cares about its users insomuch as they represent $-signs. From within the company, it didn't feel this way at all. I saw a lot of empathy towards users, and a lot effort spent to improve or things or fix broken things with no direct financial benefit. The strategy is not complex. The thinking is that if they can make FB easier and more fun to use, then more people will use it for more time each day (which will also have a network effect of attracting even more people to use it), then the advertising dollars will follow. Of course, it is true that FB wants to make the audience more accessible to advertisers as well, but there are a lot of people at FB who care about privacy and security.

They have really good infrastructure and really great ways to share the infrastructure and code. They have a lot of cool internal tools, and what they've built is really impressive, and more importantly, it helps your team build products faster without having to solve problems that someone else already solved. Every software company tries to do this, but FB seems to have been more successful with it. Perhaps it's because they're still relatively small, but if anything, I can at least say it is very cool while it lasts.

The perks and work environment are great, unless you're one of those types that can't stand open office spaces. I've worked in both a private office and open offices in multiple companies. While I do think a private office has some benefits, I mostly think it's a personal luxury for the employee and a huge waste of money for the company. I'd much rather have the money go into other areas like salary, benefits, and other workplace improvements rather than the added real estate necessary to have offices.

Of course, you've heard about the food and snacks. They have an amazing selection of great stuff, and what I like about it is that it sort of goes above and beyond expectations. Sure, some days, lunch is better than others, but I really can't complain, and the selection of drinks and snacks is amazing. It's not like you should work at FB just because of that, but it demonstrates FB's desire to make work as fun and convenient as possible.

You'll be surrounded by people who like being there. I can't think of a better environment to work in. If you have a giant ego, you may not like it as much. Respect is definitely given to those that have deep experience in the industry, and they are expected to lead others and mentor more junior employees. However, if for whatever reason, you can't perform at the level expected, no one is going to care if you did this and that at Google or shipped ten things at MS, etc.

FB also has a lot of fun events, and I made a lot of friends working there, so going to the events was fun. Also, if you're older and worried that FB is just a bunch of 22-year-olds, and that you won't fit in, I wouldn't worry about that. FB does have a lot of young employees (who are really smart btw), and it does hire a lot of people straight out of college, but it also attracts a lot of experienced engineers from other top companies like Google, MS, Amazon, etc.

Work-life-balance seemed totally normal to me. It may be different depending on your team, but I felt you could do 40-50 hours of work a week for the most part and you would be totally fine. It's about what you produce, not how hard you're working. Other team members who had children would work normal hours and go home at normal times. I didn't see any of these folks have a problem when they left early to take care of their child or things like that. Of course, there could be times that people are expected to work extra if something critical happens, but for the most part everyone wants to avoid this and this happens sparingly, from what I observed. Now, there were many times where I chose to work late myself, but I never felt any pressure to do so. The caveat is that there are on-call rotations, and in addition, even if you are not on-call, you are expected to be reasonably available if the on-call person needs your help. However, again, no one wants this, and your team will work on ways to avoid these situations.

The best thing I can say is that working at FB is about productivity. I didn't experience and political bs and it was a pleasure working with a group of people who were all concerned with producing a good product and making the best of the time spent while doing it.

Cons

FB expects a lot out of engineers, and you can't slack off. Of course, you shouldn't slack off at any job, but since FB is pretty fast-paced, there is a risk that you'll have trouble adjusting at first.

FB has a lot of custom infrastructure and tools, and prehaps more impressively, it works great. It makes doing your job really great, but on the other hand, you'll end up learning a lot of stuff that won't be applicable elsewhere.

FB's code-base is very good in some ways, but in other ways, it's not as great as some of the existing engineers think it is. I don't think this is that big of a deal, but the important part is that as an engineer, you need to quickly learn FB's values and practices and "get with the program" so to speak. If you don't like some things, then you just have to deal with it, as it's not likely you're going to change people's minds at this point. The nice thing is that things are at least very consistent.

You need to focus on how you are going to maintain the existing culture and protocols as you grow. I think this could be really tough.

I work on the communications team at Facebook

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

-Relatively flat company
    -Most teams I know report they work pretty autonomously and are not micromanaged
    -Really talented people and I never feel like I'm competing with anyone for projects or time with leadership
    -Personally I feel like I have a good work/life balance minus the commute

Cons

-Like most companies, your experience will largely depend on your manager and your team
    -Working with teams can be very disorganized or frustrating due to lack of anyone following the same process
    -Personally, don't feel the compensation at FB can compare to the other large tech companies, including Google and LinkedIn

Spectacular engineering talent, but a pretty isolated environment.

Former Intern - Front End Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Intern - Front End Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook as an intern

Pros

The environment is really fast-paced, with a lot of freedom. As Facebook grows, there's more and more of a spectrum of different types of work environments and managerial relationships--all the way from entirely hands off, to much more hand holding if you need it.

Speaking as a UI engineering: You'll learn more here than pretty much anywhere else. When it comes to UI tech specifically, Facebook seems much more willing to work from first principles and carefully try new concepts at scale than other places.

Cons

Major Silicon Valley companies are frequently a bit isolated--and to some extent that's what makes them good at what they do, by helping them ignore the ways things have been done. In Facebook's case, I found the office environment very isolated from the rest of the area. There's walls all around the campus, and it's across a freeway from the rest of the Menlo Park area, so it takes planning if you want to interact with non-Facebook employees in a typical workday. Being so isolated doesn't seem advantageous as a situation for a company that's trying to make the world more open and connected.

Find more ways to engage the surrounding georgraphic community with the Facebook community, embrace remote work tech and habits, and encourage workers to get off campus more and wander a bit and talk to people.

Have impact, be yourself, be bold.

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I have impact on a daily basis. The colleagues I interact with every day truly value my input as a user advocate and use the feedback we collect from people to make well-informed product decisions. This company is not only data driven, but people driven at its core. I can be my authentic self every time I come to work and feel I am making a positive impact on our products and the world. I did not join the company for the benefits (though the benefits are amazing), I joined because I wanted to challenge and stretch myself. The work is challenging and feels relentless given the problems we are trying to solve, but that is a good problem to have. I value the opportunity to work on the most difficult problems and have the greatest impact I can have whenever I come to work. I could not recommend this company more highly. Thank you for making the world more open and connected.

Cons

The main challenge I face is the amount of information. Because we use our own products for work and for collaboration, information overload is a real issue. However, as with most things at Facebook, if there is a problem, people acknowledge it and talk about it openly. This problem isn't likely to be solved any time soon, but I am certain that there are plenty of smart people working on it and we will eventually find a solution that not only impacts the way we work, but also the way work is done around the world. Bold challenges call for bold solutions.

Amazing collaborative experience

Current Employee - Product Specialist in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Product Specialist in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The culture is really amazing and in my opinion even better than the media portrays it. The perks are wonderful, but the professional experience is even better! You are free and expected to guide your own career in a way that makes an impact on your goals. This place is incredibly mission focused and product driven. The speed at which facebook moves is astounding at this size. I feel the energy everyday working here.

Cons

Not a huge con, but the mission and energy can take over and have you spending all hours on the job. You have to either possess or quickly gain time management skills. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's the closest thing to a con I can think of at fb.

Keep investing in good user experiences, maintain consistently high level of transparency across entire org. Keep personal growth opportunities plentiful.

Really does move fast, and you have to keep up.

Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You can make almost any change you really want to the most popular apps on the planet. How much you do is really a function of how much you're capable of and how much you can back up your decisions.

Cons

Guidance is slight, and you have to convince people to ship things after you've already built them, not before. It's a difficult thing to get used to.

Best tech company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

Facebook at this stage is an amazing mix of forward momentum, autonomy, stability and impact on the world that it would be extremely hard for any other company to compete.

Cons

I really dont have any cons.

Best internship ever!

Former Intern - Intern in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Intern - Intern in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Really fast moving hack culture is exciting.
    Smart people all around.
    A good name in the industry.
    Food is absolutely delicious.
    Intern program is very well planned out.

Cons

Recruiters are very slow at times.
    Little to no opportunity to move around in different departments.
    Hiring is a bit too fast right now, need to slow down.

Have a more personal connection with employees.
    Don't disregard your remote locations. Vancouver is a good example of a great office turned into nothing.

Big but cool place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Facebook was a cool place to work, but the company is a behemoth now. The perks are great and there are some really incredible people and projects at Facebook.

Cons

Work / life balance is a bit off here especially if you live in the city. The perks are great but the expectation is to stay at the office for ridiculous hours. Also, as the company has grown so have the politics.

Fix some of the culture and politics, but overall doing a good job

Best company in the world!

Current Employee - Supply Chain Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Facebook has a really move fast culture and has some of the most talented people in their respective industries. It's truly a production based dynamic where they expect a lot out of their people. Our team's typically run lean but we're growing fast. Obviously the benefits are second to none. Hands down the best company I've ever worked for... and probably the world!

Cons

If I had to complain about anything at Facebook it would be my commute from San Francisco. Note that they offer a terrific shuttle service however being on the road that long everyday eventually wears on you. Once you're on campus, it's all good though!

Continue to focus on maintaining our amazing culture as we further expand around the world.