Facebook

Updated November 16, 2014
4.5

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg
Mark Zuckerberg

Pros
  • You have occasion to work with super smart people from the industry (in 82 reviews)

• Amazing office culture and community and the free food doesn't hurt (in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • Another thing that no one will agree with me on is the work-life balance (in 51 reviews)

• Long hours away from home, due to my own commute situation and long working hours (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Open, fast, no bs

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Facebook full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It might be easy to roll your eyes when people from Facebook say how open their culture is, but it's true; it's more open than any other place I've worked at. At a company wide-level, secret projects, public incidents, important non-public business metrics and the like are all openly discussed. You can ask questions about them directly to Zuckerburg at the weekly Q&A. I think the idea is that if everyone is on the same page or at least, differing views are heard, the company will be stronger, and solutions may be offered from a place you didn't expect. This is much different from previous companies I worked at, where discussions on internal email lists would be shut down by some lawyer saying that there's certain things that can't be discussed, and important data is divided up to groups and individuals on a "need to know" basis, etc.

This culture applies at a lower level too. You feel comfortable giving feedback to each other about each other, about product decisions, about management, etc. The flipside of this openness is that you of course, have to be willing to receive the feedback, you have to recognize that while openness and feedback is highly encouraged, decisions have to get made, and actions and data are more valuable than words. At the higher level, since the company trusts employees with access to so much information, keeping such info confidential from the outside world is taken seriously.

It's a great place to work as an engineer. You're given a lot of freedom, but it's also a responsibility to make sure you're doing things that are valuable. You don't get much credit for working hard or being smart if you don't produce valuable output.

One cool thing about Facebook, in contrast to other comparable companies (Google, Amazon, and Microsoft, though in truth, FB is much smaller), is how they have a pretty singular focus. Even with the differing areas (including advertising and such), they do a good job of keeping their eye on their mission of connecting as many people as possible. I also think they are way more empathetic to their users than most people give them credit for. It seems like popular opinion has it that FB is arrogant and only cares about its users insomuch as they represent $-signs. From within the company, it didn't feel this way at all. I saw a lot of empathy towards users, and a lot effort spent to improve or things or fix broken things with no direct financial benefit. The strategy is not complex. The thinking is that if they can make FB easier and more fun to use, then more people will use it for more time each day (which will also have a network effect of attracting even more people to use it), then the advertising dollars will follow. Of course, it is true that FB wants to make the audience more accessible to advertisers as well, but there are a lot of people at FB who care about privacy and security.

They have really good infrastructure and really great ways to share the infrastructure and code. They have a lot of cool internal tools, and what they've built is really impressive, and more importantly, it helps your team build products faster without having to solve problems that someone else already solved. Every software company tries to do this, but FB seems to have been more successful with it. Perhaps it's because they're still relatively small, but if anything, I can at least say it is very cool while it lasts.

The perks and work environment are great, unless you're one of those types that can't stand open office spaces. I've worked in both a private office and open offices in multiple companies. While I do think a private office has some benefits, I mostly think it's a personal luxury for the employee and a huge waste of money for the company. I'd much rather have the money go into other areas like salary, benefits, and other workplace improvements rather than the added real estate necessary to have offices.

Of course, you've heard about the food and snacks. They have an amazing selection of great stuff, and what I like about it is that it sort of goes above and beyond expectations. Sure, some days, lunch is better than others, but I really can't complain, and the selection of drinks and snacks is amazing. It's not like you should work at FB just because of that, but it demonstrates FB's desire to make work as fun and convenient as possible.

You'll be surrounded by people who like being there. I can't think of a better environment to work in. If you have a giant ego, you may not like it as much. Respect is definitely given to those that have deep experience in the industry, and they are expected to lead others and mentor more junior employees. However, if for whatever reason, you can't perform at the level expected, no one is going to care if you did this and that at Google or shipped ten things at MS, etc.

FB also has a lot of fun events, and I made a lot of friends working there, so going to the events was fun. Also, if you're older and worried that FB is just a bunch of 22-year-olds, and that you won't fit in, I wouldn't worry about that. FB does have a lot of young employees (who are really smart btw), and it does hire a lot of people straight out of college, but it also attracts a lot of experienced engineers from other top companies like Google, MS, Amazon, etc.

Work-life-balance seemed totally normal to me. It may be different depending on your team, but I felt you could do 40-50 hours of work a week for the most part and you would be totally fine. It's about what you produce, not how hard you're working. Other team members who had children would work normal hours and go home at normal times. I didn't see any of these folks have a problem when they left early to take care of their child or things like that. Of course, there could be times that people are expected to work extra if something critical happens, but for the most part everyone wants to avoid this and this happens sparingly, from what I observed. Now, there were many times where I chose to work late myself, but I never felt any pressure to do so. The caveat is that there are on-call rotations, and in addition, even if you are not on-call, you are expected to be reasonably available if the on-call person needs your help. However, again, no one wants this, and your team will work on ways to avoid these situations.

The best thing I can say is that working at FB is about productivity. I didn't experience and political bs and it was a pleasure working with a group of people who were all concerned with producing a good product and making the best of the time spent while doing it.

Cons

FB expects a lot out of engineers, and you can't slack off. Of course, you shouldn't slack off at any job, but since FB is pretty fast-paced, there is a risk that you'll have trouble adjusting at first.

FB has a lot of custom infrastructure and tools, and prehaps more impressively, it works great. It makes doing your job really great, but on the other hand, you'll end up learning a lot of stuff that won't be applicable elsewhere.

FB's code-base is very good in some ways, but in other ways, it's not as great as some of the existing engineers think it is. I don't think this is that big of a deal, but the important part is that as an engineer, you need to quickly learn FB's values and practices and "get with the program" so to speak. If you don't like some things, then you just have to deal with it, as it's not likely you're going to change people's minds at this point. The nice thing is that things are at least very consistent.

You need to focus on how you are going to maintain the existing culture and protocols as you grow. I think this could be really tough.

Facetastic!

Current Employee - Production Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Production Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Smart people, pretty close to meritocratic, interesting challenges, high levels of transparency and super flat hierarchies considering the size of the company.

Cons

Due to emphasis on promoting managers from individual contributors some managers are not great at people management. Because of the limited top-down management sometimes you end up in tech debt that might've been avoided. Facebook is not really set up for employees with families, although they are getting better. Someone is always smarter than you...

Facebook provides the means to invent the future

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My compensation is extraordinarily high.
    The pipeline from research to deployment for a billion users is incredibly fast.
    The management is absolutely amazing.
    Resources are virtually unlimited.
    Facebook tries hard to do good, and unquestionably is doing well.
    Almost everyone is younger than me.

Cons

Though not the fault of anyone, really, there are too few hours in the day.
    Almost everyone is younger than me.

The senior management has got to be among the best in history; they listen to our advice, but surely their own advice to us is far more valuable.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Platform Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Platform Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Driven Culture, very few politics, lots of perks, Facebook tries to maintain the start up culter and allow massive amounts of freedom to shape your own job and your own work. The review system can be the best getting honest peer review feedback that makes your work better.

Cons

sometimes too demanding, no life half of work life balance. Its a driven and competitive culture the person sitting next to you doing 12 hours days and weekends will get ahead faster. The bar is high the demands are high and there are no rewards for failure. Doing the same thing this year that you did last year is considered failure. Its not a good place for folks with lives and kids out side of work. The review system can be the worst with nepotistic back scratching in an echo chamber.

Figure out how to maintain the culture and preserve and nurture families at the same time.

No words other than Great

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

everything is geared towards sucess

Cons

It's getting big. Still good but could become the next google (in a bad way)

Good Experience.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

There are lots of interesting projects for interns, including building the tool for fraud transactions management.

Cons

The campus is not big. There aren't many choices for food. But I really enjoyed my time.

Great culture and awesome teammates

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The leadership thinks in very innovative and novel ways. Teammates are very highly qualified. It is not just a place for the uber-geeks, people with all proficiencies and skill sets work coherently to achieve the Facebook mission.

Cons

Too many benefits. Sometimes seems like the unique evaluation system based on "impact" is too subjective.

Perfect

Former Employee - Media Solutions Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Media Solutions Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- great people, great benefits, great opportunities

Cons

- work hard/play hard is a great 'equation' to live by; at Facebook sometimes you'll end up just working hard (there is just way too much work!). You'll catch up on partying too...but be prepared to give your 150%!

Presently surprised

Current Employee - Business Operations Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Business Operations Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This is my fifth job and when I started it I expected it to have a lot of the politics a company this size typically has. I must say I have been pleasantly surprised to see how everyone employed here has been living the company values. There is a lot of focus on moving fast, making mistakes and correcting upon your mistakes. People and processes are very open that makes decision making super fast. There is little to no room for people who want to do things in the dark. You can feel the proximity to Zuck's decisions.

Cons

If you are looking for cubical or office type privacy this place is not for you. If you like to keep your personal and professional life, that doesn't happen much here. Expectation is that if you are here, you are here to do things in your life that you love and there is no keeping that separate from your personal life.

Not been here long enough to provide meaningful advice.

One of the best learning experiences a software engineer can hope for

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

huge scale challenges, compensation, brilliant coworkers, perks and benefits, high degree of freedom to do what you like

Cons

promotion process unclear, becoming political, no real freedom of speech, not so great work/life balance

change the performance review process, it hurts motivation and it generates high false negatives.