Facebook
www.facebook.com Menlo Park, CA 5000+ Employees

Facebook Reviews

Pros:
  • "The best thing about this place is that you have so many smart people around you"
    in 61 reviews
  • "Offices are usually in a great location, with loads of perks like free food"
    in 47 reviews
Cons:
  • "Terrible work/life balance unless you actively set barriers and don't do some things"
    in 32 reviews
  • "Not really a con but a tradeoff for moving fast: lack of documentation"
    in 25 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Won't ever have an opportunity like this ever again in my career - phenomenal company and people

Staffing (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Facebook

ProsSmartest and most passionate people I have ever worked with
Company means so much to so many - humbled to be an employee here

ConsHigh expectations - good problem to have

Busiest but most rewarding time of my career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Facebook

Pros- Working for a product that's changing the world
- Working alongside brilliant people
- Casual dress!
- Amazing benefits (food, PTO, laundry)
- Lots of nice people
- Celebrity encounters almost weekly (Oprah, Katy Perry, Tyra Banks, Obama)
- Everything you do has a direct impact on the company's success
- FB really tries to be a fun place to work
- Despite the cons below, this is the best, most rewarding and memorable job I've ever had. I would do it all over again.

Cons- Long hours
- No clear path for advancement. I'd been told I'd get promoted if I achieved xyz. I achieved xyz with flying colors, and still no advancement. Despite being a top performer in my group, I was not promoted once in nearly 4 years.
- Great PTO plan, but difficult to get time off. Often you're made to feel unpatriotic to the company if you request a whole week off. One manager actually told his team they could only take long weekends.
- The Mach 5 pace is exhilarating, but maintaining that pace 24/7 takes a toll. Several people I know developed heart issues from the constant stress.
- Terrible middle management. Very out of touch with their teams, only looking out for their career.
- Questioning company policies or products is frowned upon. They want you to drink the KoolAid, versus have a constructive discussion.
- In my group, promotions were given to unqualified people simply because they were buddies with the manager. It was very much an old boys club.
- Too many meetings and interviews. I spent a solid 7 hours a week in company/team meetings, and another 3 hours a week in interviews. That doesn't sound too terrible, until you realize the massive workload given to each employee.

Advice to Senior Management- Promote from within, create more transparency with promotions
- Encourage employees to use their PTO - we work hard, we need to recharge.
- Encourage employees to speak up and question product design or policies. We may have new perspective. It doesn't mean we aren't still 100% dedicated to the company.

Learn to swim or you will sink

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Facebook

ProsMy coworkers are the smartest people I have ever worked with. They love their jobs and they work hard. But they keep a balance in their lives.

Also, the management team is a group of good human beings. They really want to harness the power of what they've created to accomplish something they believe in. They know that if people across the globe can connect - good things will happen. And they have.

ConsIt can feel very chaotic, fly by the seat of your pants, always on the go. It's growing so quickly it's hard to tell who owns what project etc.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best. Job. Ever.

Technical Project Manager (Current Employee)

ProsWhat I love most about working at Facebook:

- The people. I get to work with some of the most talented and passionate people in the world.
- The culture. I love the fact that we get to take big risks and 'move fast and break things'. It's very empowering.
- Impact. All my friends and family use Facebook (+800M people around the world), so it's great to know that people I care about love to use the product that I'm a part of.
- The culinary team. best. food. ever.

Cons- growing so fast makes it so you don't know everyone at the company anymore, but that's just a product of rapid growth and hiring enough people to sustain and grow the business.

Advice to Senior Management- thank you for sticking with the mission and keeping the company open and transparent. Please keep this up as we continue to grow.

It is a wonderfully rewarding place to work.

I have been working at Facebook

ProsThe direction of the company is innovative. The people are smart. The projects are challenging. The benefits and compensation are great.

ConsI don't believe there are any major cons to working at this company. I plan to work at this company for a long time.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep moving the company in the direction that you are moving it. In 50 years we will be able to look back on the work now and be proud.

Amazing!!

I have been working at Facebook

ProsIt provides you with the best possible space and to divulge into your specialties. The only thing you are required to do is to do what you have been asked to do in a completely pressure free atmosphere. Its more like work at home!!!

ConsThere are none. Its a fantastic place to work for people willing to make money by enjoying.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the workforce small and efficient.

It was very good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Facebook

Prosgood perks, great environment. high respect for engineers and high salaries. you can develop your ideas and own your project

Consyou need to be prepared to work hard and compete with very smart people. unstable decisions at the management level.

Advice to Senior Managementlack of bureaucracy and the flat friendly organization sometimes has a downside that a lot of agreements and decisions are verbal and unofficial. which lead to unstable decisions. changes in design and waste of effort.

Pretty amazing place

I have been working at Facebook

ProsI've worked at 5 different companies before here, from investment banking, CPGs, to 3 other tech companies and nothing beats this. People are amazing not to mention wicked smart. You'll be surrounded by the most talented people in the world all with a mission to change the world.

ConsExtremely difficult to get in given number of application submitted and competition. Also the company tries to stay small so limited job openings.
Work can get stressful but that's because there aren't enough people internally to do the stuff that needs to get done. If you don't know how to prioritize you should seek other large tech companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing and try to promote from within. Outside hires bring a complete different management flavor.

Facebook is the best place I have worked in my 12 years in tech.

I have been working at Facebook

ProsThe ability to take an idea and turn it into a reality without the need for level after level of approval. Only really massive changes require any significant oversight at all.

People are expected and trusted to do good things for the company.

Projects are launched quickly, and road map cycles are very fluid. there is extreme urgency without the need for hard deadlines

Consthe main downside is the long hours, but, truthfully it is fun, so I don't really mind that much.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep empowering folks to do the right things.

excellent

Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Facebook

ProsThe environment is very very good. This is an awesome community which can inspire your creativity. It is good for your career.

ConsSometimes you may feel the pressure, but actually I think it is OK. You can easily get used to it.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe can be more aggressive and extend our business. It is will be good to get out of our comfort zone.

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Facebook reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg. All 25 reviews posted anonymously by Facebook employees.