Facebook

Updated February 26, 2015
4.5

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg
Mark Zuckerberg

Pros
  • You have occasion to work with super smart people from the industry (in 85 reviews)

• Amazing office culture and community and the free food doesn't hurt (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • Another thing that no one will agree with me on is the work-life balance (in 54 reviews)

• Long hours away from home, due to my own commute situation and long working hours (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Open, fast, no bs

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Facebook full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It might be easy to roll your eyes when people from Facebook say how open their culture is, but it's true; it's more open than any other place I've worked at. At a company wide-level, secret projects, public incidents, important non-public business metrics and the like are all openly discussed. You can ask questions about them directly to Zuckerburg at the weekly Q&A. I think the idea is that if everyone is on the same page or at least, differing views are heard, the company will be stronger, and solutions may be offered from a place you didn't expect. This is much different from previous companies I worked at, where discussions on internal email lists would be shut down by some lawyer saying that there's certain things that can't be discussed, and important data is divided up to groups and individuals on a "need to know" basis, etc.

This culture applies at a lower level too. You feel comfortable giving feedback to each other about each other, about product decisions, about management, etc. The flipside of this openness is that you of course, have to be willing to receive the feedback, you have to recognize that while openness and feedback is highly encouraged, decisions have to get made, and actions and data are more valuable than words. At the higher level, since the company trusts employees with access to so much information, keeping such info confidential from the outside world is taken seriously.

It's a great place to work as an engineer. You're given a lot of freedom, but it's also a responsibility to make sure you're doing things that are valuable. You don't get much credit for working hard or being smart if you don't produce valuable output.

One cool thing about Facebook, in contrast to other comparable companies (Google, Amazon, and Microsoft, though in truth, FB is much smaller), is how they have a pretty singular focus. Even with the differing areas (including advertising and such), they do a good job of keeping their eye on their mission of connecting as many people as possible. I also think they are way more empathetic to their users than most people give them credit for. It seems like popular opinion has it that FB is arrogant and only cares about its users insomuch as they represent $-signs. From within the company, it didn't feel this way at all. I saw a lot of empathy towards users, and a lot effort spent to improve or things or fix broken things with no direct financial benefit. The strategy is not complex. The thinking is that if they can make FB easier and more fun to use, then more people will use it for more time each day (which will also have a network effect of attracting even more people to use it), then the advertising dollars will follow. Of course, it is true that FB wants to make the audience more accessible to advertisers as well, but there are a lot of people at FB who care about privacy and security.

They have really good infrastructure and really great ways to share the infrastructure and code. They have a lot of cool internal tools, and what they've built is really impressive, and more importantly, it helps your team build products faster without having to solve problems that someone else already solved. Every software company tries to do this, but FB seems to have been more successful with it. Perhaps it's because they're still relatively small, but if anything, I can at least say it is very cool while it lasts.

The perks and work environment are great, unless you're one of those types that can't stand open office spaces. I've worked in both a private office and open offices in multiple companies. While I do think a private office has some benefits, I mostly think it's a personal luxury for the employee and a huge waste of money for the company. I'd much rather have the money go into other areas like salary, benefits, and other workplace improvements rather than the added real estate necessary to have offices.

Of course, you've heard about the food and snacks. They have an amazing selection of great stuff, and what I like about it is that it sort of goes above and beyond expectations. Sure, some days, lunch is better than others, but I really can't complain, and the selection of drinks and snacks is amazing. It's not like you should work at FB just because of that, but it demonstrates FB's desire to make work as fun and convenient as possible.

You'll be surrounded by people who like being there. I can't think of a better environment to work in. If you have a giant ego, you may not like it as much. Respect is definitely given to those that have deep experience in the industry, and they are expected to lead others and mentor more junior employees. However, if for whatever reason, you can't perform at the level expected, no one is going to care if you did this and that at Google or shipped ten things at MS, etc.

FB also has a lot of fun events, and I made a lot of friends working there, so going to the events was fun. Also, if you're older and worried that FB is just a bunch of 22-year-olds, and that you won't fit in, I wouldn't worry about that. FB does have a lot of young employees (who are really smart btw), and it does hire a lot of people straight out of college, but it also attracts a lot of experienced engineers from other top companies like Google, MS, Amazon, etc.

Work-life-balance seemed totally normal to me. It may be different depending on your team, but I felt you could do 40-50 hours of work a week for the most part and you would be totally fine. It's about what you produce, not how hard you're working. Other team members who had children would work normal hours and go home at normal times. I didn't see any of these folks have a problem when they left early to take care of their child or things like that. Of course, there could be times that people are expected to work extra if something critical happens, but for the most part everyone wants to avoid this and this happens sparingly, from what I observed. Now, there were many times where I chose to work late myself, but I never felt any pressure to do so. The caveat is that there are on-call rotations, and in addition, even if you are not on-call, you are expected to be reasonably available if the on-call person needs your help. However, again, no one wants this, and your team will work on ways to avoid these situations.

The best thing I can say is that working at FB is about productivity. I didn't experience and political bs and it was a pleasure working with a group of people who were all concerned with producing a good product and making the best of the time spent while doing it.

Cons

FB expects a lot out of engineers, and you can't slack off. Of course, you shouldn't slack off at any job, but since FB is pretty fast-paced, there is a risk that you'll have trouble adjusting at first.

FB has a lot of custom infrastructure and tools, and prehaps more impressively, it works great. It makes doing your job really great, but on the other hand, you'll end up learning a lot of stuff that won't be applicable elsewhere.

FB's code-base is very good in some ways, but in other ways, it's not as great as some of the existing engineers think it is. I don't think this is that big of a deal, but the important part is that as an engineer, you need to quickly learn FB's values and practices and "get with the program" so to speak. If you don't like some things, then you just have to deal with it, as it's not likely you're going to change people's minds at this point. The nice thing is that things are at least very consistent.

You need to focus on how you are going to maintain the existing culture and protocols as you grow. I think this could be really tough.

Best tech company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

Facebook at this stage is an amazing mix of forward momentum, autonomy, stability and impact on the world that it would be extremely hard for any other company to compete.

Cons

I really dont have any cons.

Best company in the world!

Current Employee - Supply Chain Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Facebook has a really move fast culture and has some of the most talented people in their respective industries. It's truly a production based dynamic where they expect a lot out of their people. Our team's typically run lean but we're growing fast. Obviously the benefits are second to none. Hands down the best company I've ever worked for... and probably the world!

Cons

If I had to complain about anything at Facebook it would be my commute from San Francisco. Note that they offer a terrific shuttle service however being on the road that long everyday eventually wears on you. Once you're on campus, it's all good though!

Continue to focus on maintaining our amazing culture as we further expand around the world.

Love this place

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

These guys are total pros.

Cons

Not much negative to put here.

Best culture, top compensation, amazing talent

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Well paid
    Working with talented people
    The culture - it is unbelievable - hacker culture

Cons

Working hard, long hours... if you like what you do - it is fun. Otherwise - not so much!

Leadership could use some training!

Awesome company on a mission to connect the world

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Competitive compensation package (base salary, bonus, equity)
    Great benefits (free food)
    Open culture (weekly Q&As with Zuck and other executives)
    Helping build a product that people regularly use
    Great experience to build your resume
    4 month paternity/maternity leave fully paid

Cons

No slacking off allowed! Teams run lean and move fast.
    Despite how young the company is overall, there still seems to be an age bias for older, more experienced employees, rather than more impactful employees, regarding recognition and promotions. At least in Finance.

Despite how young the company is overall, there still seems to be an age bias for older, more experienced employees, rather than more impactful employees, regarding recognition and promotions. Seems to be contrary to our value of focusing on impact.

Great company with great momentum

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

Culture, benefits, impact, learning opportunities

Cons

Work life balance, career paths at company gets bigger

It was helful

I worked at Facebook

Pros

Lots of learning opportunities in facebook

Cons

Too hard to do the interview

It's a privilege everyday

Current Employee - Client Partner in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Client Partner in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Zuck is a legend in his own time, his Friday Q&A's are can't miss and it is awesome to hear him handle the tough unexpected questions.
    Perks are world class
    Leadership listens to challenges that employees are facing and for the most part makes changes to correct.
    It is a fun culture and we have some pretty legendary parties
    It is stunning how transparent leadership is with the whole company.

Cons

The commute to Menlo Park
    Occasional Politics

Keep facing the tough challenges head on
    Open a San Francisco office, this will eventually be a weakness because all younger companies are located in city.

Outright amazing place to work if you 'feel' it ...

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

- Company really, really loves its employees, given they are delivering
    - High energy, talented colleagues. Tons of learning opportunities from others
    - Super perks - 4 months paternity leave, free food, social events
    - Freedom. Lots of rope to define own path in an area or on a team

Cons

- Expectations are high so a lot people are putting in long hours. I haven't had a problem with work/life balance, though.
    - Technical debt. Moving fast means adding layers vs. designing stable systems.
    - Crowding. Recent employee growth means it can be hard to find private space for meetings, calls, etc...