Facebook Reviews

Updated September 14, 2014
4.4

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg
Mark Zuckerberg

Pros
  • The best thing about this place is that you have so many smart people around you (in 70 reviews)

• Free food, young and lively coworkers, downtown location (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • Not the most understanding environment when it comes to work/life balance (in 42 reviews)

• Long Hours and some times you cant balance work and your personal life (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

Software engineer. Great culture, lots of fun.

Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great culture, easy to talk to anyone you want throughout the company. I felt like I was given a challenging task and able to grow as an engineer.

Cons

Everyone is very skilled. Depending on your team, it can be hard to 'stand out' (debatable as to whether this is a con or not).

Best company in the Valley

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Making an impact on more than billion people.

Cons

None really. It's all good.

Awesome place to work

Current Employee - ITT  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - ITT in New York, NY

I have been working at Facebook as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Free meals and having a lot of friends

Cons

Always on the computer.

Staff is a little nerdy

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The Toughest (non-military) Job You'll Ever Love

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Facebook was the longest job I ever held, and it's testament to the people, the product and the perks. You're surrounded by an astounding number of really smart, accomplished people who are really dedicated to the company and its mission of connecting the world. Watching the company grow as the product grew from fewer than 50 million users to well over a billion in a few years was an astounding feat.

It's a work hard, play hard place. During my time there, the layers of management did grow, but the organization really strove to stay as nimble and fast-moving as possible. Most of the time, people are recognized and rewarded for their impact.

The perks are up there with the rest of the top Silicon Valley companies. And I really do miss taking a shuttle to work now.

Cons

Depending upon your role, you can find your growth options limiting.

The "work hard" half of the ethos can really burn some people out. (then again, I guess the "play hard" side could do the same...)

There is a bit of an entitlement mentality among some people there, but leadership and others try to stamp that out.

Don't let Sheryl leave!

Energetic, independent work environment

I have been working at Facebook full-time for less than a year

Pros

Incredibly smart, dedicated people working together in a fun environment to really drive towards the future. Facebook really walks the talk on having a truly open & transparent culture. If you want to make something happen (from a product feature to an employee event); you will have greater tools & receptivity form leadership than anywhere i've ever worked prior.

Cons

Communicating/building relationships with key cross-functional colleagues can be harder from a satellite office + as the company continues to grow in staff in general.

Keep up the great work! Your energy, honesty, passion for people, and true transparency is inspiring on a personal & a professional level; that makes me proud to come to work everyday.

Amazing working conditions, great company culture, open and fast

I have been working at Facebook as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Great facilities, very open culture, working with amazing individuals from multiple backgrounds, very fast paced and constantly changing in a good way and good career growth opportunities.

Cons

Currently working as a Contractor, so some of the perks are limited like some amazing company events you're allowed to attend but that's understandable.

Massive impact in a short amount of time

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook as an intern for less than a year

Pros

This review is for my 3 month internship.

-Amazingly fast process and a huge amount of control:
      I was given a project and told to run with it. This is both terrifying and awesome, as I got to control an entire new feature. Architecture and design decisions of the feature were made primarily by me, something that I was not really allowed to do in previous internships.

-Fun, smart, and friendly people
      Some of the people on my team were intimidatingly good programming beasts, but talking to them felt super natural and easy. Additionally, my team had several happy hours/ weekly pub crawls where we got to know each other.

Cons

Work/Life balance: Many interns I knew worked weekends and/or late nights. I personally never worked weekends, but have definitely pulled some 12-hr days the week of release dates.

Opportunity to have real impact

Current Employee - Product Analyst  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Product Analyst in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time for less than a year

Pros

FB faces a lot of challenges that no other company in the world faces due to it's size and scale. I really like working on products that my friends and family use on a regular basis.
    Everyone is smart and driven and you can learn a lot just from those around you.
    The company leaders are really inspiring and some of the best in their fields.

Cons

Work can get pretty hectic and sometimes the work-life balance is skewed too much towards work.
    Compensation is solid but the cost of living in California is crazy.

Humble team, amazing perks and open environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Facebook full-time for less than a year

Pros

I love working here! Facebook allows me to be myself and make an impact while growing my career. I have worked with many cross functional teams and it's amazing to be surrounded by intelligent and creative individuals. I have been working here for 8 months and I have yet to wake up not wanting to go into work. They keep it exciting and are always changing to better the product, environment and org structure. I work long/hard hours but am treated so well that I don't feel the need or want to complain. I thrive in this type of environment and cannot wait to see what the years to come bring for my professional development. I am well compensated, am given a great amount of time off (and not afraid to use it) and my manager is very supportive with anything I need.

Cons

It can be hard to disconnect since I use Facebook a lot outside of work as well. Also, there is no set plan for any career here

Keep the culture the way it is! Your transparency is amazing.

Move fast, have fun, make an impact -- proud to work here

I have been working at Facebook full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company culture is open, friendly, fast, fun -- and competitive, in the best way possible. I've never worked in an environment where people are so ready to pitch in, work together, and praise others for a job well done, while at the same time constructive and pointed feedback is encouraged, accepted, and acted upon. Yes, the perks are excellent -- free food and snacks, great benefits, etc. But it's the environment and culture, and the caliber of people we hire (technical and non-technical alike) that make it such an incredible place to work. Work-life balance is tough anywhere, but I come from a job where you were on 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and vacations were rare (and managers certainly didn't encourage you to take them). Here it's the opposite. We work a lot but managers tend to be cognizant of burnout, and actively encourage folks to spend more time outside of the office, be with our families, and take time for ourselves.

Cons

Because things move so quickly, and it's such an open environment, there is occasionally needless duplication of work. But while frustrating, it's incredibly rare.

Sometimes it seems like middle management needs to communicate amongst themselves better, so as to give better guidance to the rest of the workforce. Beyond that -- advice would be to just keep it up. You've built a wonderful culture and atmosphere, with a clear mission, for which I'm proud to work.

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!