Facebook

www.facebook.com

Facebook Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2011's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros
  • The best thing about this place is that you have so many smart people around you(in 70 reviews)

• Free food, young and lively coworkers, downtown location(in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • Not the most understanding environment when it comes to work/life balance(in 42 reviews)

• Long Hours and some times you cant balance work and your personal life(in 24 reviews)

Awesome job with great opportunities

Operations Engineer (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsFacebook is amazing. Working here offers the best environment I have ever seen in a workplace. The job is all about cooperation, not competition. The Facebook culture, office design, and management styles all support this.

ConsWith the small number of employees, everyone is expected to change the world.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Great place to work if you're near the product / Anything else, I would look elsewhere

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsFree food, dry cleaning, snacks

Extremely bright people in engineering/product teams

Startup / Entrepreneurial feel leads to opportunities to make a bigger impact

ConsMost jobs are in sales and operations

People in this team are in a separate building and are not valued by Senior Mgmt

Meetings all the time - hard to get to work

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the Products vs Everyone Else mentality, and promote a one team culture

Stop scheduling so many meetings all the time and make sure people are actually working than trying to get noticed with hi-vis projects that may not add that much value

Great place to work

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsPush code daily, work with extremely talented engineers, free food, great compensation, and seeing everyone I know use the product

ConsLong hours but Facebook engineers tend to be the type who passionately enjoy their work and build products for fun anyways

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue trusting the engineers to do what is right and allowing engineers be bold and not have to check in with management

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Facebook breaks new ground in so many areas, including as a great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

Pros-Everyone is here because we believe in making the world more open and connected. We believe we're making a difference.
    -HUGE opportunity- you see something broken, missing, or know how to do something better, go for it.
    -Freedom to think outside the box. In fact, there is no box.
    -Incredibly smart and supportive people.
    -Open and transparent environment.
    -We have fun.

ConsWe move so fast and are growing quickly, there's little time to stop and reflect as an individual but also as a team to ensure we're moving forward and focused on the right things.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure we continue to hire the best people in the leadership roles, whether it is promoting from within or bringing them in from the outside. Having the right culture fit and ability to lead their teams as we grow is critical.

Amazing place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

Pros- Great, innovative company which is in the business of building great communities.
    - Fast and dynamic culture with a passion to "move fast and break things"
    - Amazing growth potential in career
    - Smaller teams, yet ability to make bigger impact
    - Transparency and open communication
    - Risk takers

ConsCan be a bit chaotic for someone coming form a highly process driven environment...but I love it!

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are doing an awesome job...just don't stop taking risks!

The little start-up that could...and so much more

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsThe energy and direction of the company! There's plenty of opportunity to take on new responsibilities and build the future of Facebook.

ConsAs with all smaller companies, you will thrive if you're a person that appreciates the fact that many processes are not in place but there for you to create or re-vamp.

Advice to Senior ManagementPace the growth. Hire aggressively but with caution. Make sure the current infrastructure can meet the number of people joining.

Face book an amazing place to work!!

Senior Recruiter (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsCutting edge, openness, ability to make an impact, VERY COOL

ConsPeople are always asking me technical questions about facebook, and what is it like to work at FB?

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue keeping the site cool, don't ever sell out. Facebook is truly changing the way we communicate with each other.

Once in a lifetime opportunity I would not pass up

Recruiter (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsRare to have the chance to work for a company that captures the imagination of the world such as Facebook.

ConsWell, you can't be afraid of hard work and a challenge and to be pushed out of your comfort zone

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't make the same hiring mistakes as Google.

Lots to dive into!

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsI really like the pace that we're working at -- there's so much going on, and there's a lot of inherent trust in people to run with what they're doing. Policies and red tape in previous companies sometimes left me feeling a bit stifled about what I was able to work on & share, but there really is a sense of openness at Facebook, not only in communication, but in the ability to jump into projects that call out to you as well.

And beyond that, the people really are incredible: smart, fun, unique, and passionate about what they're doing. It's hard not to get excited by the people alone!

ConsThe pace *can* be a little crazy -- one of our values is moving fast, and we definitely do that -- and generally that's a huge pro to working here, but at times, it can be a little much. There are definitely good policies around PTO, and the environment *is* understanding about balancing work & personal life, but that's ultimately up to the individual to carry out, which can be difficult to do in practice.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would encourage the leadership to make themselves visible, both at all-hands events, but also in the sense of cross-pollination. It's invaluable, for example, to hear about product strategy from the head of Engineering at an HR team meeting; or to have the head of Finance share what he's focusing on with the Sales team -- efforts like that really don't take much time at all and are a highly impactful way to get communication and knowledge flowing across the company.

I love working at Facebook!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsI love the culture, freedom, people, environment, benefits, and flexibility.

ConsThere really isn't much I would change about work here except for a better work/life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe leadership team here at Facebook has done a great job communicating changes and our company vision.

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!