Facebook

Updated December 20, 2014
4.5

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg
Mark Zuckerberg

Pros
  • You have occasion to work with super smart people from the industry (in 85 reviews)

• Amazing office culture and community and the free food doesn't hurt (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • Another thing that no one will agree with me on is the work-life balance (in 54 reviews)

• Long hours away from home, due to my own commute situation and long working hours (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Not bad

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

Cool environment, cool people. Stock options.

Cons

Little to no opportunity for advancement, raises, or bonuses. Benefit reductions, instead.

Reward your employees more.

Facebook is the best company I've ever been an employee and is better than most I know off 2nd hand.

Current Employee - Operations in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

Fast growing, adaptive and supportive environment. Lots of incredibly smart, motivated and fun people. The company cares about its employees and that is overwhelmingly evident by how they treat them, the awesome things they do for them and how everyone interacts.

Cons

Honestly I'm not sure I could name any yet. I suspect the Software Engineers work long hours, but I'm pretty sure they do it from love and enjoyment rather than a requirement by anyone. There has to be some downside, but I can't think of any. Sorry.

Keep doing what you are doing. It works really well in my opinion.

Smart, growing company with lots of opportunities for creative problem solving

Current Employee - Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

Smart people you can admire and respect, strong business model, challenging scale issues that provide ample opportunities for creative problem solving, fast-paced environment. This likely results from the stringent hiring processes (100 phone screens to 1 offer)

Cons

long hours, mild politics, management is inexperienced - typical for a company growing from a startup mode towards a more mature company

Bring stronger discipline to effectively channel employee creativity and problem solving skills on to the highest priority projects

Great Leadership skills

Current Employee - IT Systems Analyst in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - IT Systems Analyst in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

State of art technology at the company.

Cons

nothing much. Startup. Revenue mostly limited to online Ads.

Need to be proactive in coimmunication to employees

College

Former Employee - IT Analyst
    Former Employee - IT Analyst

I worked at Facebook

Pros

You can see all member profiles.

Cons

Zuckerberg brings the hammer, so watch out.

I would tell Senior Management to get a grip on all these young kids who think they're everything.

Facebook is a great company to be at.

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

It affects a huge number of people and makes the world a more open place. The culture is focused on building great things and there are lots of smart people there who are excited about what they're doing.

Cons

It is growing quickly, so it's hard to know everything that's going on.

We should focus more on improving communication between departments and helping everyone have a better sense of what's going on across the company.

Facebook is fun and cool, but not always an environment that encourages growth.

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Facebook

Pros

the free food, really bright employees

Cons

some of the employees feel a sense of entitlement that comes through in day-to-day interactions...very young upper level management..inexperience shows

180 degree reviews should be provided on an ongoing basis

Interesting experience working at an up-and-coming company like FB.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

It is one of the fast growing company and things can move very fast. You could be doing different things if you happen to be at the right place at the right time.

Cons

Less organization. Growing pain. Management needs to become mature.

The company is getting too big to let it grow freely. We need a bit more organization now.

Facebook, a great place to work

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

It's a great place where the company is small enough for you to make a difference, but the product is used by millions. It's great to work on something you love using every day. The hours are flexible, and the package is great- free gourmet food is served 3 meals a day. You really learn a lot, since you get thrown into the mix quite quickly. Also, the people at the company happen to be extraordinarily smart and pretty passionate.

Cons

You can work a lot right before a project gets shipped, but that's the case with a lot of engineering jobs.

Good job.

Facebook, absolutely by far, my favorite place to have ever worked!

Former Employee - Assistant in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Facebook

Pros

Everyone talks about the free food, fun environment, etc but I definitely think the most valued benefit to working at facebook is the ability to basically set your own hours, freedom to work from home when you want and as much as you want/can, and all this with little to no interference from management. It's just great to know that if you're not feeling well but not necessarily "too sick to work" you can stay home and work (they provide laptops)....oh and...sick days are not counted against your vacation if you really needed to take a real sick day anyhow.

Cons

Because of the work from home policy, you do find yourself basically working all the time in a way. Some say it's a downside, I personally loved it! As long as I got my work done my boss didn't care how much I was actually in the office. However, I do have to say, that I did NOT abuse this. I really only worked from home when I absolutely needed to. I'd say out of a year I probably worked from home maybe about 2wks worth.

Develop a fair company-wide bonus structure where all employees can work towards and feel rewarded for accomplishments. A review process is also needed, but one that actually results in employer/employee feedback and raise/bonus.