Facebook
www.facebook.com Menlo Park, CA 5000+ Employees

Facebook Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2011's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros:
  • "The best thing about this place is that you have so many smart people around you"
    in 70 reviews
  • "Free food, young and lively coworkers, downtown location"
    in 52 reviews
Cons:
  • "Not the most understanding environment when it comes to work/life balance"
    in 38 reviews
  • "Not really a con but a tradeoff for moving fast: lack of documentation"
    in 28 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good experience, great people.

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Palo Alto, CA

ProsReally smart people that care about building a great product. It's clear that people are really excited about what they are doing.

ConsIt's getting political and seems like there is a lot of jockeying. That's not great for an engineer who really cares about making a great product. It gets in the way.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Company could benefit from cutting out some of the people that contribute to a political environment. It would make a more productive place to work.

Great people; amzing place to work.

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Palo Alto, CA

ProsThe people here are both brilliant and humble, making for an incredibly collaborative envirnment for building awesome new stuff. Management process is also great - very hands off, lots of freedom to the engineers to work on what they are interested in, make important decisions. Lots of trust and responsibility in engineers.

ConsIt is starting to get a little big, and a little bit political, although I don't have much first hand experience with the politics. Split into multiple buildings again.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should work actively to try to discourage politics. You should also make sure to keep the culture very engineering focused, putting a greater effort on keeping big things happening in other parts of the company more than transparent, especially when they are "in the works."

This place is no joke.

Human Resources (Current Employee)
    Palo Alto, CA

ProsEmpowerment. Real and immediate impact, high level of responsibility. Assumption of good intentions. Fun. People genuinely like each other.

ConsThe focus on "most fast" sometimes leaves things undone.

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow how to balance young/eager with the seniority/seasoned leadership you need to make Facebook continue to succeed.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Review

Operations Engineer (Former Employee)
    Palo Alto, CA

Prosperfect company for career, a fun environment, fun people, lots of genius level people, company grows rapidly and continuously, a very good place to work, pre-IPO company

Consmid level managers are inexperienced and do lots of mistakes, salaries are not so bright but company is pre-IPO and it is a good opportunity

Advice to Senior Managementfix mid level management, listen employees feedback {yes, much more} especially their reviews about mid level managers, try to understand why so many people are leaving

Great place to start a career and network.

Senior Product Manager (Former Employee)
    Palo Alto, CA

ProsGreat place to work with some of the young and brightest people in the world. A great addition to your resume and you get to work on products that everyone that you know will use.

ConsToo many Managers and ideas. Sometimes too many cooks in the kitchen will spoil the food. And that is what happens at Facebook. But then again, that is the growing pains that Facebook is going through. Also most of the innovative products have been implemented and a lot of focus now is on maintenance and tweaking. Nothing much to be excited about.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your developers with respect and acknowledge their work and successes. Essentially they are ones who are keeping the company alive.

Excellent plate to work

Site Reliability Engineer (Current Employee)
    Mountain View, CA

ProsAmazing environment with a strong focus on getting things done vs politics or "Process". When bad things happen, the focus is always on finding a fix rather than finding the blame. Organized chaos. Working with some of the smartest and most knowledgeable people I've ever met. They don't just throw money away, but they're willing to spend to solve problems or improve things when it's needed. The benefits like free food are excellent, and in general they treat their employees like human adults instead of children or replaceable cogs or numbers.

ConsThe biggest downside is the organized chaos (although that's also a plus). At times it can be a bit too chaotic, though even that's improving.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat you're doing is working - keep at it. Although some increase in Process and bureaucracy is inevitable as the company grows, make sure that the focus on people never goes away. The risk of following "Best Practices" down the road to mediocrity is very real, and it will take away everything that makes the company great.

Awesome place to work

Palo Alto, CA

ProsThe work environment is certainly fast-paced and often chaotic, but everyone manages to keep a level head and make logical, yet innovative decisions, even when under pressure. Most people are pretty young as is reflected in the culture of t-shirts, jeans, video games, and ripsticks. The food is awesome and definitely makes it easier to work longer hours and actually enjoy them. Working cross-functionally is not only accepted, but expected. You won't be confined to your own team, which is nice. Overall, it's definitely the best job I've had so far.

ConsAs a pretty young company, policies and best practices change quite often, which can be hard to follow at times. Other than that, there really aren't many cons.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep meetings when you schedule them because it's hard for everyone else to change their schedules last minute and a lot of time is wasted.

If you like to be challenged and rewarded for success, facebook is a great place to start!

Technical Recruiter (Current Employee)
    Palo Alto, CA

Pros- fast paced work environment, where I can move as quickly as needed to get the job done
    - FB provides me the opportunity to have a huge impact
    - we work hard at FB, but we are recognized for our efforts and success (and we have fun while working)
    - friendly environment, good food, great tools, and the brightest people on earth!

Cons- Constant change, but that come with this type of growth

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

I love my job

Palo Alto, CA

ProsOpen environment, flat organization, people are nice and very smart

ConsEveryone is smart so you always have to be on your game

Advice to Senior ManagementHow will we keep a startupy environment when the company grows to 5000? 10000?

Facebok TL;DR

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Palo Alto, CA

Pros- Wonderful food
    - A company culture encouraging absolute openness
    - No red tape, in terms of work, resources, people
    - Opportunities to get together with other employees to hack on what interests you
    - Freedom to work from home and to come into work whenever

Cons- Parking
    - Neighboring houses dislike us
    - Terribly inefficient and large number of e-mails
    - Too much 'The Son of Man' around the office

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Facebook reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg. All 30 reviews posted anonymously by Facebook employees.