Facebook Reviews

721 reviews filtered by

1. Summer 2014 Software Development Engineering Intern

Former Intern - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Intern - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great perks and working atmosphere. The people you work with are all top-notch, highly motivated and competent. You learn about many new technologies and the work you do has immediate impact. Very fast development cycle.

Cons

The fast pace and development cycle can seem sloppy and disorganized at times. There is the drive to "be bold and break things" or "done is better than perfect." Many new ideas come from hackathons. Facebook is very product driven, with less of an emphasis on architectural integrity and sound infrastructure.

Advice to Management

Company culture is fantastic, and work-life balance is truly great at Facebook. Employees are treated exceptionally well. For employees working on backend-type features, it would help to have upper management provide a sense of direction and group alignment.

2. Fast, Impactful, Smart People

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Facebook focuses on impact and everyone at the company is in a position to best drive impact. You're only barrier to success is yourself.

You're surrounded by people that are experts in their area which helps make you work better and smarter.

Cons

The work environment is pretty great. If commuting from SF, that can be tough but taking the busses are much better than having to drive.

Advice to Management

Management at FB is top notch. I think it'd be hard to offer any real criticism as most criticism is dealt with openly and immediately.

Risk and Payments Contractor

Current Contractor - Risk and Payments Contractor in Austin, TX
    Current Contractor - Risk and Payments Contractor in Austin, TX

I have been working at Facebook as a contractor

Pros

absolutely amazing people to work with, even as a contractor. You learn a lot and really quickly.
    the benefits are amazing - free meals, snacks, drinks!
    you are given quite a lot of access to information at FB.
    more rewarding experience I've ever had for sure
    work/life balance is top notch. a lot of people have the opportunity to work from home

Cons

Not all teams are similar, some treat contractors like their own where other teams don't really interact with their contractors.
    There are a few things you are not allowed to take part in as a contractor (holiday parties, etc) but the other benefits definitely make up for it.
    It's really hard to go from a contractor to a FT position, but it is possible!

5. quality review

Current Employee - QA Specialist in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - QA Specialist in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

They have lots of perks, you can work any where you want, they have free shuttles in case you have only one car.

Cons

Not really a con, but space is limited.

Advice to Management

give more direction for the project, sometimes instructions may not be clear for everyone on board.

Facebook is a uniquely amazing place to work - those of us at the Company are absolutely fortunate to be employed here!

Current Employee - Client Partner in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Client Partner in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people, opportunities, environment and roadmap of the Facebook are amazing. I am surrounded by extremely intelligent and collaborative people, which make every day a pleasure. We work on amazing projects that add value to both our organization and the world (yes, the world). The organization provides a workplace that is supportive yet autonomous. I truly feel like I am designing and creating my career, with fantastic support of everyone around me.

Cons

My job is so fulfilling that I find myself having to strategically seek my work-life integration.

Advice to Management

Keep up the fantastic work!

Great culture, great resources, great people! Decent work life balance, no idea about benefits. Interns are pretty equal

Current Intern - User Experience Intern in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Intern - User Experience Intern in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Seems like there's good work life balance though people work hard, promotions can be tough to come by but are carefully vetted and lucrative, as far as I can tell.

Cons

Hard work, fast paced, not always a lot of direction for the tasks you are assigned. But very rewarding and self-sufficiency-building.

Advice to Management

Would be great to have more institutional support for the transition from academia, but it's overall pretty great. Good people, good perks, good culture.

Best place to work!

Current Employee - Software Eng
    Current Employee - Software Eng

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good compensation, good perk. Have chance to learn lots of things.

Where there is people, there is BS. There's no exception for Facebook. However it just much better than other company I believe.

Cons

# Don't join the team that seems to be filled with one single race.
    My first year in FB was disaster cause I chose the wrong team and they have very bad management. (Data Infrastructure). The manager is not there to help you and just want you to have significant contribution. If you can't do that, they don't bother to figure out why and help you but try to kill you. Change to a different team the second year, and its totally different world.

# long hours, but, what great/uprising company doesn't have long hours?

9. Software Engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than a year)

Pros

* Freedom to work on what you want
    * Great people to work with
    * Understanding managers

Cons

* Too much mobility. Constant flux
    * Too much operational overhead at times

10. Facebook is the most engineer-led and apolitical place I've worked.

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

Leadership is driven by a tremendous and long-range vision, and does not optimize for near-term share price. Designs are led by engineers, and the leadership team is more of a support structure to ensure that the engineers have the best impact possible. We focus on impact, meaning that we reward when an engineer lands the work in production, rather than rewarding for optics or effort alone.

Cons

The Facebook work environment is centered in direct interpersonal communications. While teams use electronic tools internally for some communication, it can be challenging to be in a remote office just due to lack of physical proximity for hallway discussions, whiteboarding, etc. The best remote site experiences are the teams which have good ownership and autonomy with their product development.

Advice to Management

Keep focused on the long term mission of making the world more open and connected.

11. Awesome Place to Work

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

Courage, Commitment and Being Open

Cons

High Pressure and at times a little overwhelming

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing