Facebook

www.facebook.com
Employer Engaged

uncaring

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

nothing was good for me

Cons

everything was bad for me.

Completely disappointed and ignored as if I didn't exist

Former Contractor - Risk Ops in Austin, TX
    Former Contractor - Risk Ops in Austin, TX

I worked at Facebook as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Free food, no dress code, downtown location, smart peers, young and fresh as you would expect

Cons

treated as a second class citizen, subhuman compared to full time employees, ignored, excluded from team, no potential for career advancement

Stop contracting. If you are going to continue to, then just move them all offsite, or in a dark room away from everyone else. At least that one, they will think you treat everyone like that. Its basically slave labor for you, and you would honestly do better to just ask for volunteers if you don't plan on hiring the position full time. At least a volunteer signed up for the abuse. I cannot think of a more demoralizing environment than the one you subject your contractors to.

Not all it's cracked up to be

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working at a world leading company
    Excellent pay

Cons

Grueling hours
    Rude management
    Angry colleagues who are disillusioned with the company

You need to work this out otherwise more stories like this are going to leak out and then there will be trouble

Very competitive work environment but not accurately advertised as such

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Facebook

Pros

-Opportunity to write software that gets used by hundreds of millions of people
    -Opportunity to see how a successful company is run
    -Opportunity to launch often
    -Potential IPO

Cons

-Frontend work (i.e. work done in most of the product-oriented teams) is mostly mundane PHP and nothing that really intellectually challenging from a Computer Science perspective. (Backend may be different but I never tried that.)
    -Potential to get judged too quickly for performance. They are less willing than other companies to let you try something different which may be a better fit if you are not performing well enough on your current project.
    -Chaos that may hurt you--you may start out on one project but be expected to do something else for no good reason, that may not be the best fit for your skills.
    -Some managers are too busy to give useful frequent feedback.
    -I get the impression that they manage by a bell curve, but are not not being transparent about it.

Be absolutely honest to new hires about where Facebook stands in the spectrum between 'severe' and 'forgiving' for performance reviews, especially when you let new engineers choose their initial team, so that they can choose their teams carefully and pick a project they know they will do well instead of just one that catches their interest but is not necessarily a good fit for their experience and skills.

TheFacebook needs real managers

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Facebook full-time

Pros

Cool; (duh, it's Facebook!). Great resources, lots of 'candy' (e.g. free food, parties,...), super autonomous (do your job anyway you want as long as it gets done. Have a trip to Menlo Park; no problem, etc...). Great impact (did I mention the billion+ people using this thing?). Great culture (when applied - see notes below). Great benefits (salary, shares, medical, 401k,...)

Cons

Bad work / life balance - you better be jusr out of college with no wife/husband/partner; nor any children.
    They do not know how to deal with senior people. Managers are just employees who do more work; they do not have time or the need to help out. I have seen a few people get thrown under the bus by the boss - why defend your team when Menlo Parks complains because they do not know what you are doing; fix another task and get new employees.

Get real managers. I have seen many people from your Seattle office leave or "get helped" to leave - they were not bad employees and you paid a lot to acquire them - you have a revolving door because you have junior managers - at best - running the office; and they report to even less trained managers in Menlo Park. You are making tons of money right now and it probably won't show up for quite some time, but, at one point, poor people management will cause pains to Facebook - in 5 years you will be like Google and in 10 you will be like Microsoft. Fix it now!
    I totally believed in the Culture and Values which Facebook says it has... I have not seen it applied evenly.

Feels much more like big company than they'd lead you to believe in the interview process.

Former Employee - Operations in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Operations in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very smart co-workers, fast-paced atmosphere, great networking (strong ex-employee groups after you leave), constantly changing and evolving. Mark is a strong product leader. Ability to leverage the experience for more fulfilling opportunities after you leave.

Cons

Very difficult work environment - extremely political, it combines many of the worst elements of a startup (uncertainty, lack of structure, cult-like worship of leaders) and a big company (hierarchical, hard to advance, lack of trust and needless internal competition). Large amounts of nepotism around promotions. A general culture of fear - middle management is terrified of senior management. While very smart, your colleagues will also be extremely arrogant and willing to do anything to get noticed/promoted. In general, this is not a place to go to make friends or feel like you're working together as part of a team.

All depends on your team, and mine was horrible

I worked at Facebook

Pros

-Fair compensation
    -Great benefits
    -People generally friendly and willing to help

Cons

-Lack of time to implement feedback without consequences
    -The team, and really one individual, can make or your break your experience here. Mine was ruined by a control freak (he called himself that - not my own words though it's an accurate assessment) who wanted to do everything himself. Ultimately I couldn't keep working with this individual and left for another company.

Not in the club.

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

Awesome benefits. Working with smarter than average people. Partying on the job. Name recognition at social gathering.

The pace is amazing and you always feel like you are doing something important.

Great people on my team. Really close knit and people I will have in my life for along time

Free food!!! Cannot stress enough how much I love this. This saved seriously my life. Three meals a day and snacks.

Cons

I worked as a "contractor". My direct supervisor was wonderful and took the time daily to ask me about my day and was always concerned. However the upper management on the team was deceitful, uncaring, unkind and unapproachable. The last several months we have been told we would be getting a better role and that we would be able to have real careers, instead we are just getting another contract agency and losing what little access we have to the Facebook culture.

Expensive parking. It costs us $200 a month to park or we can run the risk of parking on the street and getting tickets.

People we work for/with that are Facebook "fte" do not know who we are. Some are great but several do not even try.

Bad contract company. They are definitely not "pros". Paychecks were often wrong or late. Almost the entire time I have been here we did not have a company person in the office. When we did get one it drastically changed how we could interact with our supervisor. We could no longer go to him with issues but instead were asked to go to someone else who yet again doesn't know my name.

No chance at advancements. While I have the same degree as my close friend that helped me get in the door as a contract employee I have no chance at becoming a true Facebook employee. Unless you are recruited for a job you will stand no chance at getting the job. I was told that when they hire contractors they look for friends but when they hire "fte" they look for pedigrees. If a recruiter didn't find you you stand no chance.

Be honest. In one year I have met the "management " three times. All three times have resulted in what I felt was dishonesty. She would talk to us like she had something else or somewhere else to be.

It was made clear in the beginning that there would be no full time role. What was not made clear was how little concern management would have. Outside of my supervisor and a few people that we got to work with we had no contact with anyone else.

Learn our names. You don't have to stop and chat with me everyday but don't look at me like I am a complete stranger when I say good morning. Politeness and people skills go a long way. Beer pong is cool. You know what is cooler? Knowing who I am when I talk you.

Good salary, bad work-life balance

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Facebook full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good salary, free food, caltrain ticket.
    Co-workers has solid technology.

Cons

Bad work-life balance. Long hour working. No help. Co-worker don't want to help you.

Better mentorship

It was fair - lots of opportunities to learn - few opportunities to work on interesting projects

Former Employee - Product Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (more than a year)

Pros

High compensation, generous time-off. Good food. (the hamburger place is always tasty). The propaganda is usually enticing and the sweet shop keeps you fat.

Cons

Company culture is broken. Office leadership is broken. Work is not challenging or interesting.

Before hiring new employees, please be honest with them about what working at Facebook is truly like and what the projects they will work on are in reality. Don't lie and use your company brand collateral to rope in smart and motivated people to only then suck their souls out of their bodies.