Facebook Reviews

Updated September 29, 2014
4.4

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg
Mark Zuckerberg

Pros
  • Mostly engineer-driven place, so a lot of smart people to motivate you to do well (in 80 reviews)

• Amazing office culture and community and the free food doesn't hurt (in 61 reviews)

Cons
  • Not the most understanding environment when it comes to work/life balance (in 48 reviews)

• Long hours away from home, due to my own commute situation and long working hours (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Massive impact in a short amount of time

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook as an intern for less than a year

Pros

This review is for my 3 month internship.

-Amazingly fast process and a huge amount of control:
      I was given a project and told to run with it. This is both terrifying and awesome, as I got to control an entire new feature. Architecture and design decisions of the feature were made primarily by me, something that I was not really allowed to do in previous internships.

-Fun, smart, and friendly people
      Some of the people on my team were intimidatingly good programming beasts, but talking to them felt super natural and easy. Additionally, my team had several happy hours/ weekly pub crawls where we got to know each other.

Cons

Work/Life balance: Many interns I knew worked weekends and/or late nights. I personally never worked weekends, but have definitely pulled some 12-hr days the week of release dates.

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Ad Review Specialist  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Ad Review Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at Facebook as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Amazing office culture and community and the free food doesn't hurt! Working with a team that has common goals and works to improve your ability.

Cons

As a contractor, your hours may not be normal and there is an end in sight, but you're not treated as an outsider. People still include you on most things, which is great.

Opportunity to have real impact

Current Employee - Product Analyst  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Product Analyst in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time for less than a year

Pros

FB faces a lot of challenges that no other company in the world faces due to it's size and scale. I really like working on products that my friends and family use on a regular basis.
    Everyone is smart and driven and you can learn a lot just from those around you.
    The company leaders are really inspiring and some of the best in their fields.

Cons

Work can get pretty hectic and sometimes the work-life balance is skewed too much towards work.
    Compensation is solid but the cost of living in California is crazy.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Humble team, amazing perks and open environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Facebook full-time for less than a year

Pros

I love working here! Facebook allows me to be myself and make an impact while growing my career. I have worked with many cross functional teams and it's amazing to be surrounded by intelligent and creative individuals. I have been working here for 8 months and I have yet to wake up not wanting to go into work. They keep it exciting and are always changing to better the product, environment and org structure. I work long/hard hours but am treated so well that I don't feel the need or want to complain. I thrive in this type of environment and cannot wait to see what the years to come bring for my professional development. I am well compensated, am given a great amount of time off (and not afraid to use it) and my manager is very supportive with anything I need.

Cons

It can be hard to disconnect since I use Facebook a lot outside of work as well. Also, there is no set plan for any career here

Keep the culture the way it is! Your transparency is amazing.

Move fast, have fun, make an impact -- proud to work here

I have been working at Facebook full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company culture is open, friendly, fast, fun -- and competitive, in the best way possible. I've never worked in an environment where people are so ready to pitch in, work together, and praise others for a job well done, while at the same time constructive and pointed feedback is encouraged, accepted, and acted upon. Yes, the perks are excellent -- free food and snacks, great benefits, etc. But it's the environment and culture, and the caliber of people we hire (technical and non-technical alike) that make it such an incredible place to work. Work-life balance is tough anywhere, but I come from a job where you were on 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and vacations were rare (and managers certainly didn't encourage you to take them). Here it's the opposite. We work a lot but managers tend to be cognizant of burnout, and actively encourage folks to spend more time outside of the office, be with our families, and take time for ourselves.

Cons

Because things move so quickly, and it's such an open environment, there is occasionally needless duplication of work. But while frustrating, it's incredibly rare.

Sometimes it seems like middle management needs to communicate amongst themselves better, so as to give better guidance to the rest of the workforce. Beyond that -- advice would be to just keep it up. You've built a wonderful culture and atmosphere, with a clear mission, for which I'm proud to work.

Great experience working with very professional individuals

I worked at Facebook

Pros

Great company culture, awesome pay, and wonderful events to keep you excited about the company!

Cons

there were some difficulties in communication with the team but overall great experience

maybe spend a little more tiem on training

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Software Engineering  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than a year

Pros

Get lots of responsibility, freedom to pursue what you want to and have high impact. Great place to work.. free food and swag

Cons

Getting bigger. Remote offices not as much as fun as headquarters in menlo park.

blah

Facebook Austin - Lean Out: A Contractor Story

Current Employee - Ads Integrity Analyst  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Ads Integrity Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at Facebook as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

So you want to work at Facebook Austin (FBA). Perhaps you are enchanted by the product, liking and friending your brains out on a daily basis, and now want to crack open the hood and explore its inner workings. Maybe its high satisfaction rating (among the best out there) is an especially motivating carrot. Or at some point you were regaled by stories of beer pong debauchery, free endless catered smorgasbords, and more baubles than the love child of a Brookstone and an As Seen on TV store. Whatever your reason, if you’re applying for a contract position, there are some things to note in order to adjust your expectations.

There are two castes within this tech world: contractors and full-time employees (FTEs). The distinction is important, as applicants who consider a contract position to be a short-term version of an FTE will be woefully disappointed. Though once at the level of the Morlocks and Eloi, the discrepancy in treatment has improved in recent years and FBA in particular took note of the divide and instituted changes. Nevertheless, the two groups remain distinct in work and treatment.

As a contractor, you’re not being hired for your ideas or to make giant leaps forward on the team. You’re being hired because engineering hasn’t created an effective algorithm to make that position obsolete. You are a stop-gap measure. A well-fed and liquored stop-gap measure, but a stop-gap measure nevertheless. Even the type of candidate that is sought after for a contract position is markedly different from that of an FTE. Of course, this is the nature of all contract work, not just contract work at FBA.

What is distinct about contract work at FBA is its manipulation of its workers. For those earnest people who believe that a contract position will be your entre into an FTE role, lean back on those hopes. Remember, you will be hired with a different set of criteria than that of an FTE. Yes, it could happen. I’ve seen it. But only a degenerate gambler would take that bet. In my experience so far (<1year), I’ve seen more than a handful of contractors, actively encouraged by management to apply for full-time positions only to be turned down by the same team who told them to apply.

After these candidates are deemed “not a good fit,” they go back to their roles and continue to work hard and do a good job. Management notes this and so these contractors are given added responsibilities, and some are even given team lead/managerial type roles- but only in responsibility, not title or pay. You can spin this inequality in terms of an opportunity to gain more good work experience, however, management continues to lead on these workers with pseudo promises of a new position that will become available “soon” or that they are working on creating a position just for that worker because “they are so valuable to the team.” But, these opportunities never appear.

This review isn’t meant to be a slanted deprecation of FBA. I’ve gotten a lot out of my time here. There are talented and brilliant people, fascinating concepts to explore, and of course the food and trinkets. My intent is to set expectations for the next group of contractors and to point out a bit of deception (intended or not) by management. This is an awesome role and place but don’t come in starry-eyed. Just pump the breaks on your high hopes, lean back, and enjoy the ride.

Cons

See above for negative aspects.

Don't make promises you have no intention of (or can't) keep.

Keep Up With the Clique

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than a year

Pros

- insane perks (barber, laundry, dry cleaning, car detailing, fitness facilities, stipend for food and entertainment, childcare, etc.)
    - tremendous stock upside
    - competitive (but not overboard) base salaries
    - generous bi-yearly bonuses

Cons

Out of sight, out of mind. Be prepared to always be social with everyone. Engage everyone at the company both online and offline at all times. This can get tiring if you're not naturally that kind of person. The people that are the friendliest with the decision-makers always get preference. Its not the kind of place that you can keep your head down, have a small group of friends, do good work, and be successful. You need to be socially matrixed to the maximum level. If not, you might be let go...

Also, they didn't get to be a big behemoth by ignoring the little things. There are a lot of mundane tasks to be done. There are also lots of small optimizations to be made that move numbers up but don't necessarily impact the end-user experience that much. It's easy to lose sight of a good process that asks "why?" and instead work tirelessly (and rapidly) to move numbers up for no good reason (other than to move numbers up).

Lots of time is required out of normal business hours. This can be challenging for people with families.

Some orgs are better run than others. Choose wisely, and do your homework, out of bootcamp.

Break up the clique-culture. Its like an 8th grade schoolyard in there (replete with the puppy-love romances).

Best job I've ever had

Current Employee - Content Writer  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Content Writer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than a year

Pros

There isn't enough space to write them all. You work with the best, smartest, most interesting people in the world. You are working on problems that can touch over 1 billion people. If we don't have the tools we need to do something, we make them, then do what we wanted to do. I've never worked at a place that so inspiring, creative, and FUN as this one. I've been here for over a year and I am STILL not upset when it's Monday and I have to go back to work.

Cons

Sometimes it can be frustrating when you want to work on something, but have to prioritize something else that's higher impact. Luckily my manager works with me to ensure that I always have some time allocated to what I'm passionate about.

You're doing a fantastic job. The fact that you've been able to scale this culture as well as you have is a true testament to how much you love it here as well.

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!