Facebook Reviews

Updated March 24, 2015
927 reviews filtered by

Not in the club.

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

Awesome benefits. Working with smarter than average people. Partying on the job. Name recognition at social gathering.

The pace is amazing and you always feel like you are doing something important.

Great people on my team. Really close knit and people I will have in my life for along time

Free food!!! Cannot stress enough how much I love this. This saved seriously my life. Three meals a day and snacks.

Cons

I worked as a "contractor". My direct supervisor was wonderful and took the time daily to ask me about my day and was always concerned. However the upper management on the team was deceitful, uncaring, unkind and unapproachable. The last several months we have been told we would be getting a better role and that we would be able to have real careers, instead we are just getting another contract agency and losing what little access we have to the Facebook culture.

Expensive parking. It costs us $200 a month to park or we can run the risk of parking on the street and getting tickets.

People we work for/with that are Facebook "fte" do not know who we are. Some are great but several do not even try.

Bad contract company. They are definitely not "pros". Paychecks were often wrong or late. Almost the entire time I have been here we did not have a company person in the office. When we did get one it drastically changed how we could interact with our supervisor. We could no longer go to him with issues but instead were asked to go to someone else who yet again doesn't know my name.

No chance at advancements. While I have the same degree as my close friend that helped me get in the door as a contract employee I have no chance at becoming a true Facebook employee. Unless you are recruited for a job you will stand no chance at getting the job. I was told that when they hire contractors they look for friends but when they hire "fte" they look for pedigrees. If a recruiter didn't find you you stand no chance.

Be honest. In one year I have met the "management " three times. All three times have resulted in what I felt was dishonesty. She would talk to us like she had something else or somewhere else to be.

It was made clear in the beginning that there would be no full time role. What was not made clear was how little concern management would have. Outside of my supervisor and a few people that we got to work with we had no contact with anyone else.

Learn our names. You don't have to stop and chat with me everyday but don't look at me like I am a complete stranger when I say good morning. Politeness and people skills go a long way. Beer pong is cool. You know what is cooler? Knowing who I am when I talk you.

Good salary, bad work-life balance

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Facebook full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good salary, free food, caltrain ticket.
    Co-workers has solid technology.

Cons

Bad work-life balance. Long hour working. No help. Co-worker don't want to help you.

Better mentorship

It was fair - lots of opportunities to learn - few opportunities to work on interesting projects

Former Employee - Product Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (more than a year)

Pros

High compensation, generous time-off. Good food. (the hamburger place is always tasty). The propaganda is usually enticing and the sweet shop keeps you fat.

Cons

Company culture is broken. Office leadership is broken. Work is not challenging or interesting.

Before hiring new employees, please be honest with them about what working at Facebook is truly like and what the projects they will work on are in reality. Don't lie and use your company brand collateral to rope in smart and motivated people to only then suck their souls out of their bodies.

Immature company

Former Contractor - Expense Analyst in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Contractor - Expense Analyst in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Casual environment, healthy snacks provided, fun campus, pay is great

Cons

Many of the employees are arrogant, which seems to be encouraged by management. There are a complete lack of processes and an attitude of being too cutting edge to create them. They treat contractors like second class citizens. There is definitely a culture of us and them, also people are more than willing to throw others under the bus to look good. It would be a fun job if you're 22, but if you have worked at a company that is established, the immaturity is apparent.

You're still a young company, you're not "too ahead" to set up processes. Need to train employees better, not just sink or swim!!

Keep Up With the Clique

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- insane perks (barber, laundry, dry cleaning, car detailing, fitness facilities, stipend for food and entertainment, childcare, etc.)
    - tremendous stock upside
    - competitive (but not overboard) base salaries
    - generous bi-yearly bonuses

Cons

Out of sight, out of mind. Be prepared to always be social with everyone. Engage everyone at the company both online and offline at all times. This can get tiring if you're not naturally that kind of person. The people that are the friendliest with the decision-makers always get preference. Its not the kind of place that you can keep your head down, have a small group of friends, do good work, and be successful. You need to be socially matrixed to the maximum level. If not, you might be let go...

Also, they didn't get to be a big behemoth by ignoring the little things. There are a lot of mundane tasks to be done. There are also lots of small optimizations to be made that move numbers up but don't necessarily impact the end-user experience that much. It's easy to lose sight of a good process that asks "why?" and instead work tirelessly (and rapidly) to move numbers up for no good reason (other than to move numbers up).

Lots of time is required out of normal business hours. This can be challenging for people with families.

Some orgs are better run than others. Choose wisely, and do your homework, out of bootcamp.

Break up the clique-culture. Its like an 8th grade schoolyard in there (replete with the puppy-love romances).

Former member of recruiting team

Former Contractor - Recruiting Team in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Contractor - Recruiting Team in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

The campus is awesome. There is an arcade, a coffee shop, tons of options for food, most of which are delicious. It was a fun atmosphere...outside of the recruiting team.

Cons

Recruiting team managers and director were not genuine. I always felt like they were fake. Talking behind your back and smiling in your face. No wonder all the good people in recruiting are now at pinterest!

Be nice. Be genuine. Care about your team members.

Great company, but disorganization + bad management = a terrible experience for me.

Former Employee - Designer in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Designer in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Really smart people, Zuck has weekly Q+As and answers everything

Cons

The Revenue org is the worst. There is a total lack of transparency, which is different that the Eng and Design orgs.

They say it's easy to transfer, but it's hard to find a role if you aren't a specialist.

It's not okay to block your employees from doing the work they were hired to do and for not telling them the work was on hold for 8 months.

Great learning environment and company, too bad it's filled with too many arrogant people

I have been working at Facebook full-time

Pros

Great perks and environment!
    You can have high impact with projects as long as you are pro-active

Cons

A red tape throughout the company as it's getting bigger
    Having to deal with arrogant Client Partners in market
    Work/life balance can be quite poor as it can be expected that you are available in non working hours

Recognize and reward the right people

Contingent Worker

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Facebook as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Free Food, drinks and electronic equipment. Not so great to contingent workers.

Cons

No organizational structure in NY

If you are over 40 Beware!

I worked at Facebook full-time

Pros

Benefits are great, and there are some very smart an engaging people

Cons

Many departments within Facebook have a maturity problem. If, you are 40 or older, I would not apply.

Ms. Sandburg as the COO needs to evaluate the lack of maturity of those who surround her...the lack of experience is going to cost Facebook potential law suits and brand reputation