Facebook Reviews

Updated October 16, 2014
4.4

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg
Mark Zuckerberg

Pros
  • You have occasion to work with super smart people from the industry (in 81 reviews)

• Amazing office culture and community and the free food doesn't hurt (in 63 reviews)

Cons
  • Another thing that no one will agree with me on is the work-life balance (in 51 reviews)

• Long hours away from home, due to my own commute situation and long working hours (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Satisfactory

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very friendly staff, meals are very good

Cons

At times there can be very little communication intra-day between staff

Better interaction between all levels of staff

Mediocre managers at best

Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

There are a lot of smart people at Facebook. My colleagues are smart and nice. Even after I left Facebook, I kept my connections with them. With their help, I am able to land a job at a promising job at a top startup.

Cons

My manager knew very little about computer science and the basic principles about software engineering. I feel sorry for him when he mentioned the peer pressure at FB, and showed me "good" examples of code. I do not bother to work with him again.

When you hire managers from outside the company, you need to be careful about their technical skills. Hire more smart new graduates, instead of some mediocre managers from some other companies.

Used to be a great company

Current Employee - Analyst in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Smart individual contributors
    - The managers who grew organically with the company are pretty good too.
    - Awesome product and impacting 1 billion people.
    - culture used to be good, but deteriorating. have to be careful

Cons

- I have noticed we are hiring more and more managers from outside which is bad for morale. In analytics, hiring leaders from outside is a top priority.
    - Many of these newly hired managers are not in sync with our culture. Even if that was not the case, it's still bad for morale.
    - Life work balance is too much skewed towards work.

Don't hire outside managers. Promote from within. I'm giving Mark an "approve" below. He's awesome but he should tell the M-team not to hire outside managers whenever possible.

Good company, too many failures, mostly boring work

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Facebook full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Facebook is used by everyone, and this is incredible. The Menlo Park campus is really cool and has a great vibe.
    - Great benefits
    - Smart people
    - Impact on millions of people

Cons

I joined Facebook a few years ago because of the agility of the engineering team. Back then, it was true. Today, not as much.
    - Most projects fail due to over-complication and over-engineering
    - Smart people are hampered by large inflexible codebase
    - Very hype-based culture (thing x is the new hotness, everyone on board!)
    - Most of the code is old and not owned by anyone, yet still in production
    - Most work is very mundane and not very exciting

Stop being so impatient for "impact" - some projects take time and nurture them.

Data Science

Current Employee - Data Scientist in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Smart people, especially many with PhDs and other forms of strong academic performance.

Cons

Product Managers treat analytics as ad hoc data pullers. Data and development environment actively hinders cross analyst information and expertise sharing.

Clarify job roles differences between data science, analytics and business intelligence. Incorporate standardization and peer review principles of software engineering into analytics workflows.

Smart, boring people and no balance.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are smart, and the scaling challenges are great. Where else does your code impact a billion people? The compensation is amazing.

Senior management are generally amazing people, smart, visionary and compassionate.

Cons

The focus on measuring means anything that can't be measured is ignored. It's easy to measure someone's ability to code on a whiteboard. As a result, the coders are much better than nearly everywhere I've worked, but that's it. Social skills and personality can't be measured. As a result there is no one here you would ever be friends. The internal surveys bear this point that people don't have friends at work. Similarly for managers, they are selected strictly for their technical ability. Again, they have zero compassion. In my time being here, I've never once felt like anyone cared if I was here or not. Not once has anything positive ever been said. It's really astounding.

Recruiting does an amazing job at making candidates feel wanted. That feeling disappears the moment you sign. After that, you have no manager or anyone who will care. You'll go into bootcamp where you'll have a "mentor". His role is to continue to do his job while counting the number of lines in your diffs to make sure you can make progress with no assistance.

After bootcamp, you'll have a manager who operates in the same mode. They are interested in the technology and not the people. To them, you are a resource to be maximized. They will tell you everything you need to do to improve, but never once say "good job". In boot camp, I kept meeting these amazing, visionary dynamic managers. I know realize they were the exception. Those people made me love Facebook during bootcamp, but that feeling wore off quickly once I interacted with the average line level manager.

Plus, beware of the reviews here. Recruiting will tell you point blank that they curate these reviews. The reason FB has the highest rating is because someone internally has a goal to achieve certain star ratings on this site.

Start selecting people for human relationship skills and focus less on pure technical ability.

Disappointing

I worked at Facebook as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Facebook is a product that touches so many lives. Big impact. The management style is good—managers are managers by choice, so they actually care about managing well. And they don't micromanage.

Cons

The company lacks vision, IMHO, and has big trust issues with users. For good reason. Personally, I don't think the company has a lot of lasting value.

The company spends a lot of time looking at, and copying, rivals. It's "data-driven," for sure. But I think this is coming at the cost of a broader vision for what Facebook is for and why people should keep using it.

Remote Offices - Be wary

I worked at Facebook full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Its Facebook - 1.3billion users
    $MM are the norm
    Some good people

Cons

A lot of bad people - huge amount of hype aout hiring the best, but rarely is the truth. A lot of arrogant people
    MASSIVE gap between Eng/Prod and the "rest"
    Remote offices are give no autonomy.
    Smart people doing a lot of crap work
    Short sighted around careers
    Inexperienced at exec level in particular.

Hire the right people to do the right work, and let them do it. Let people in remote offices actually contribute

A fantastic company... full of jerks.

Former Employee - MMS in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - MMS in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Facebook full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Incredible benefits, a great sense of family and partnership.

Cons

Too many 'bad eggs' in terms of people, who 'think' they are the embodiment of enlightenment and facebook's mission, instead maintaining status-quoe and dampening people's ideas, motivation.

Be what you say you are.

Salary is so low that you need to bring food home

Current Employee - Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than an year)

Pros

you have a big name on your CV

Cons

you will need to bring food and snacks home from the office if you want to survive

It's degrading have to systematically "steal" food from the office, please pay us more, salary is just average, promotions are non existent after a couple of years.