Facebook

Updated December 14, 2014
4.5

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg
Mark Zuckerberg

Pros
  • You have occasion to work with super smart people from the industry (in 85 reviews)

• Amazing office culture and community and the free food doesn't hurt (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • Another thing that no one will agree with me on is the work-life balance (in 54 reviews)

• Long hours away from home, due to my own commute situation and long working hours (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Facebook provides the means to invent the future

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My compensation is extraordinarily high.
    The pipeline from research to deployment for a billion users is incredibly fast.
    The management is absolutely amazing.
    Resources are virtually unlimited.
    Facebook tries hard to do good, and unquestionably is doing well.
    Almost everyone is younger than me.

Cons

Though not the fault of anyone, really, there are too few hours in the day.
    Almost everyone is younger than me.

The senior management has got to be among the best in history; they listen to our advice, but surely their own advice to us is far more valuable.

Perfect

Former Employee - Media Solutions Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Media Solutions Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- great people, great benefits, great opportunities

Cons

- work hard/play hard is a great 'equation' to live by; at Facebook sometimes you'll end up just working hard (there is just way too much work!). You'll catch up on partying too...but be prepared to give your 150%!

Presently surprised

Current Employee - Business Operations Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Business Operations Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This is my fifth job and when I started it I expected it to have a lot of the politics a company this size typically has. I must say I have been pleasantly surprised to see how everyone employed here has been living the company values. There is a lot of focus on moving fast, making mistakes and correcting upon your mistakes. People and processes are very open that makes decision making super fast. There is little to no room for people who want to do things in the dark. You can feel the proximity to Zuck's decisions.

Cons

If you are looking for cubical or office type privacy this place is not for you. If you like to keep your personal and professional life, that doesn't happen much here. Expectation is that if you are here, you are here to do things in your life that you love and there is no keeping that separate from your personal life.

Not been here long enough to provide meaningful advice.

A Management Nightmare

Former Employee - Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Looks great on your resume. Lots of perks (if that's what moves you). Interesting story to tell your friends.

Cons

If you're a manager, this place will drive you nuts. Employees are snarky, entitled, and disrespectful brats. They have no concept of critical thinking or any desire to do real work.

Unlimited sick days in the hands of overpaid children is impossible to manage, my team would somehow always manage to catch a "cold" on Fridays and Mondays. (Interesting that they would Tweet and post about their weekend party binges though.)

While Facebook does a great job recruiting Ivy League talent, I was underwhelmed by the level of intelligence of "Facebookers." They are so busy congratulating themselves on being "awesome" that they never stop to consider they didn't have any real world work experience to back that assertion up. It's really hard to manage and lead people who "know it all."

Kitchy inspirational posters everywhere you look. "Be Bold!" "Dare Greatly!" Yet, I didn't see any substantive work or product coming out of anyone, which makes sense since Facebook really is just a glorified website - users are the product.

Communication is an absolute nightmare. You are forced to "friend" everyone you work with and join an incessant amount of internal group pages where you had to filter through all the BS people would post (memes, YouTube videos, snarky hipster comments…clearly these people didn't have enough work to do) to get to any relevant work related information you needed to know for your job. I actually thought I was going to get dumber working there.

Meetings - the sheer volume was mind bending. None of them critical to doing actual work, more self congratulating on unearned awesomeness. Being social at Facebook was far more important than doing anything meaningful while you were there.

Anyone serious about doing meaningful work need not apply. You'll make it a few months and then quit out of frustration.

Grow up!!! You're not in Zuck's dorm room anymore.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Platform Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Platform Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Driven Culture, very few politics, lots of perks, Facebook tries to maintain the start up culter and allow massive amounts of freedom to shape your own job and your own work. The review system can be the best getting honest peer review feedback that makes your work better.

Cons

sometimes too demanding, no life half of work life balance. Its a driven and competitive culture the person sitting next to you doing 12 hours days and weekends will get ahead faster. The bar is high the demands are high and there are no rewards for failure. Doing the same thing this year that you did last year is considered failure. Its not a good place for folks with lives and kids out side of work. The review system can be the worst with nepotistic back scratching in an echo chamber.

Figure out how to maintain the culture and preserve and nurture families at the same time.

Great

Former Employee - Intern in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Intern in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Facebook as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

It's cool a lot of smart people, its dynamic and engaging, you will learn a lot

Cons

I feel like the company is getting so big that maybe it isn't as easy to go up in the hierarchy as it used to be

yeah bro

Great place to work, lots of thing to learn

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- There's always something to learn (I was always afraid joining a big company will make me stick to one task)
    - Lot's of different domains of work that you can choose from
    - Freedom to decide how you want to make the company better and that's what defines your job
    - We build fast and improve fast (that also includes improving salary and lifestyle)
    - Lots and lots of perks that you can read every where about

Cons

- The product is used worldwide and you can break things worldwide which is stressful

Good Experience.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

There are lots of interesting projects for interns, including building the tool for fraud transactions management.

Cons

The campus is not big. There aren't many choices for food. But I really enjoyed my time.

Stunning, fast pace, rewarding!

Current Employee - Production Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Production Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Environment provides amazing learning experiences and professional growth; good benefits and compensation; high quality training and mentorship.

Cons

The promoted culture and company values are not always followed, having negative impact on performance reviews and promotions.

A company of overachievers

Current Employee - Client Partner
    Current Employee - Client Partner

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to grow and develop yourself. Nice workplace and great products to sell.

Cons

The brazilian leadership is immature when it comes to business management and doesn't have fit with FB culture.

Move faster, have (and share) a bold vision for the business, be more open and connected with your team.