Facebook Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2011's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
4.6

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg
Mark Zuckerberg

Pros
  • Mostly engineer-driven place, so a lot of smart people to motivate you to do well (in 81 reviews)

• Amazing office culture and community and the free food doesn't hurt (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • Because on the other hand we are always encourage to apply work life balance (in 51 reviews)

• Long hours away from home, due to my own commute situation and long working hours (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Facebok TL;DR

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

- Wonderful food
    - A company culture encouraging absolute openness
    - No red tape, in terms of work, resources, people
    - Opportunities to get together with other employees to hack on what interests you
    - Freedom to work from home and to come into work whenever

Cons

- Parking
    - Neighboring houses dislike us
    - Terribly inefficient and large number of e-mails
    - Too much 'The Son of Man' around the office

n/a

I love my job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

Open environment, flat organization, people are nice and very smart

Cons

Everyone is smart so you always have to be on your game

How will we keep a startupy environment when the company grows to 5000? 10000?

If you like to be challenged and rewarded for success, facebook is a great place to start!

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

- fast paced work environment, where I can move as quickly as needed to get the job done
    - FB provides me the opportunity to have a huge impact
    - we work hard at FB, but we are recognized for our efforts and success (and we have fun while working)
    - friendly environment, good food, great tools, and the brightest people on earth!

Cons

- Constant change, but that come with this type of growth

Keep it up!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

The work environment is certainly fast-paced and often chaotic, but everyone manages to keep a level head and make logical, yet innovative decisions, even when under pressure. Most people are pretty young as is reflected in the culture of t-shirts, jeans, video games, and ripsticks. The food is awesome and definitely makes it easier to work longer hours and actually enjoy them. Working cross-functionally is not only accepted, but expected. You won't be confined to your own team, which is nice. Overall, it's definitely the best job I've had so far.

Cons

As a pretty young company, policies and best practices change quite often, which can be hard to follow at times. Other than that, there really aren't many cons.

Keep meetings when you schedule them because it's hard for everyone else to change their schedules last minute and a lot of time is wasted.

Excellent plate to work

Current Employee - Site Reliability Engineer  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Site Reliability Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

Amazing environment with a strong focus on getting things done vs politics or "Process". When bad things happen, the focus is always on finding a fix rather than finding the blame. Organized chaos. Working with some of the smartest and most knowledgeable people I've ever met. They don't just throw money away, but they're willing to spend to solve problems or improve things when it's needed. The benefits like free food are excellent, and in general they treat their employees like human adults instead of children or replaceable cogs or numbers.

Cons

The biggest downside is the organized chaos (although that's also a plus). At times it can be a bit too chaotic, though even that's improving.

What you're doing is working - keep at it. Although some increase in Process and bureaucracy is inevitable as the company grows, make sure that the focus on people never goes away. The risk of following "Best Practices" down the road to mediocrity is very real, and it will take away everything that makes the company great.

Great place to start a career and network.

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Facebook

Pros

Great place to work with some of the young and brightest people in the world. A great addition to your resume and you get to work on products that everyone that you know will use.

Cons

Too many Managers and ideas. Sometimes too many cooks in the kitchen will spoil the food. And that is what happens at Facebook. But then again, that is the growing pains that Facebook is going through. Also most of the innovative products have been implemented and a lot of focus now is on maintenance and tweaking. Nothing much to be excited about.

Treat your developers with respect and acknowledge their work and successes. Essentially they are ones who are keeping the company alive.

Review

Former Employee - Operations Engineer  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Operations Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Facebook

Pros

perfect company for career, a fun environment, fun people, lots of genius level people, company grows rapidly and continuously, a very good place to work, pre-IPO company

Cons

mid level managers are inexperienced and do lots of mistakes, salaries are not so bright but company is pre-IPO and it is a good opportunity

fix mid level management, listen employees feedback {yes, much more} especially their reviews about mid level managers, try to understand why so many people are leaving

This place is no joke.

Current Employee - Human Resources  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

Empowerment. Real and immediate impact, high level of responsibility. Assumption of good intentions. Fun. People genuinely like each other.

Cons

The focus on "most fast" sometimes leaves things undone.

Know how to balance young/eager with the seniority/seasoned leadership you need to make Facebook continue to succeed.

Great people; amzing place to work.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

The people here are both brilliant and humble, making for an incredibly collaborative envirnment for building awesome new stuff. Management process is also great - very hands off, lots of freedom to the engineers to work on what they are interested in, make important decisions. Lots of trust and responsibility in engineers.

Cons

It is starting to get a little big, and a little bit political, although I don't have much first hand experience with the politics. Split into multiple buildings again.

Management should work actively to try to discourage politics. You should also make sure to keep the culture very engineering focused, putting a greater effort on keeping big things happening in other parts of the company more than transparent, especially when they are "in the works."

Good experience, great people.

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Facebook

Pros

Really smart people that care about building a great product. It's clear that people are really excited about what they are doing.

Cons

It's getting political and seems like there is a lot of jockeying. That's not great for an engineer who really cares about making a great product. It gets in the way.

The Company could benefit from cutting out some of the people that contribute to a political environment. It would make a more productive place to work.

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!