Facebook

Updated December 20, 2014
4.5

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg
Mark Zuckerberg

Pros
  • You have occasion to work with super smart people from the industry (in 85 reviews)

• Amazing office culture and community and the free food doesn't hurt (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • Another thing that no one will agree with me on is the work-life balance (in 54 reviews)

• Long hours away from home, due to my own commute situation and long working hours (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

A fantastic company... full of jerks.

Former Employee - MMS in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - MMS in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Facebook full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Incredible benefits, a great sense of family and partnership.

Cons

Too many 'bad eggs' in terms of people, who 'think' they are the embodiment of enlightenment and facebook's mission, instead maintaining status-quoe and dampening people's ideas, motivation.

Be what you say you are.

Salary is so low that you need to bring food home

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than an year)

Pros

you have a big name on your CV

Cons

you will need to bring food and snacks home from the office if you want to survive

It's degrading have to systematically "steal" food from the office, please pay us more, salary is just average, promotions are non existent after a couple of years.

nice campus, bad salaries, lot of pressure

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-nice working environment
    -a lot of food

Cons

-low salary, you will starve if you are a single income family
    -salary + benefits does not compensate the huge effort you will make on a job here
    -lot of pressure to deliver or pretend to deliver something with impact

Company could definitely afford to pay above the average, instead is keeping people "hungry" with the excuse of free food and having FB name on CV.

Lots of hype, substance is lacking.

Former Employee - Network Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging problems in scope and scale to solve.
    Money for projects is essentially unlimited. Buy the best of everything.

Cons

Politics and poor leadership in the mid-management levels.
    Many mediocre co-workers that can't pull their weight.

Many of your Managers and Directors are not high caliber or top notch.
    Set a higher bar and weed out your poor quality directors.

Company is more suited for top grads than for those with hacker/intellectual mindset.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of smart people, really good technical infrastructure. Company actually changed the world with social networking. Free food, good pay, benefits. Facebook on resume looks fantastic.

Cons

1) It's a social networking company, always will be, never even bothers with thinking beyond social.

2) If you can convince yourself into thinking every thing Facebook does is worthwhile, it's a jolly good place to work. Otherwise, the internal culture that's developed over there can be very stressful, always expecting people to be confirming and to be vocal about it. It's an 'either fit in or get out' culture.

3) Company as a whole is bad at asking honest questions on important issues.

Being data driven is a good thing, but when it prevents you from thinking on fundamental issues, the whole approach becomes superficial. E.g, the most common public perception on facebook ads is that they are essentially irrelevant to them. Because of its sheer size, there will always be clicks/imps/revenue or whatever. You could either spend time optimizing these metrics, or instead, think about the most fundamental issue (that of irrelevance) and bring in some paradigm shift, thus making ads a real product.

Another example is Facebook Home. Who really cares about a fancy UI with chat heads? Give me something real, like a completely new and better way to use/benefit from smartphones than the existing platforms. Then your phones will actually be bought. The question here is why go for these meaningless small goals and not for real world changing stuff that the company prides itself on being capable of?

Do yourself a big favor and train employees on their weekly manager meetings. As of now, they are useless and can hurt engineers who really have no clue on what's expected of them. While you're at it, also train management and employees on setting concrete expectations.

Does not "connect" with contractors

Current Employee - Legal Triage Technician in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Legal Triage Technician in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free food. Free transportation. Get to put Facebook on your resume. Casual work attire.

Cons

If you are a CONTRACTOR you will be treated like a second class citizen, you will have no voice. Will not be considered for advancement, even if there are positions available. Actual employees work less than the contractors. FB hires contractors to do work that will be constantly needed, front desk, kitchen staff, IT Help Desk to name a few. It's as if they don't want the "help" to be officially apart of their team. The FB you see online is not the same as in the office.

You have more than enough money. Hire people and give them job security. Especially for people that are doing jobs that won't be going away. 2+ years as a "contractor"......Give me a break!

Not a good place for a career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than an year)

Pros

1. Great benefits and perks
    2. Passionate and dedicated employees
    3. Fun and exciting environment

Cons

1. No career growth and lack of internal career paths
    2. Low compensation
    3. Lots of politics within the company (many ex-Yahoos and AOL employees are in management)
    4. Bad culture and habits brought in from ex-Yahoos and AOL employees are making a big negative impact on culture and morale at the company
    5. Mark Zuckerberg, aka Zuck has received good ratings in the past but of late he has been very distracted and not focused on how the company is run internally, he should own it and step up by making management changes to course correct the ship before it becomes another AOL.

Do something to address the low compensation issues and morale/culture issues within the company, make changes to management particularly in the engineering and sales organizations since the same traits that they had at Yahoo and AOL are starting to show at Facebook as well.

Disappointing, boring.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Perks, free and delicious food, free other stuff, 21 days vacation, good for resume.
    Free schedule, nice office, gym onsite etc.

Cons

They say they're chaotic. IMO, it's a too fancy word for that. I would say that the code-base is a mess. The corporate value "move fast and break things" is understood too literally by some engineers. That's why the product is very unstable and the UI beyond two most frequently used pages is clunky. The job is boring. Things gets done extremely slow and the quality is very far from being perfect.
    Too much of narcissism (we're building an awesome product, we provide really sick user experience, we're ninjas, batmans and supermans etc. etc. etc.). Maybe it's good for some people, but not for me.

No advise

not different from any other organization except for the benefits

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

vision of its founder is strong

Cons

too much office politics
    nepotism outweighs meritocracy
    teamwork is limited, more individualism

Unprofessional company

I worked at Facebook as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The compensation. Free breakfast, lunch and dinner is available, as well as healthy snacks, coffees and teas. Flexible hours.

Cons

I can't speak for all departments, but in the one I worked, no one wanted to take the time to train you, even on new programs. I saw so many people not take responsibility for their work, and deadlines were repeatedly not met regardless of the effect that it had on partners. FB employees would "work" from home but their tasks were never accomplished. People rarely communicated with each other, preferring to stay isolated with their earbuds in. Unfortunately, getting things accomplished often requires teamwork. The atmosphere was extremely political - friends of the boss lasted, everyone else did not. People think working at Facebook will be so amazing, but it wasn't. It was a big disappointment. I had no doubt that once they went public, the stock would nosedive because these people aren't used to accountability. In my particular case, my contract was immediately terminated after I spoke to someone about a co-worker who was harassing myself and another employee. I was assured that an investigation would still take place, but I found out much later, that it never did.

Reach out to employees and contract workers alike to get anonymous feedback on how the departments and employees are doing. If your departments aren't meeting deadlines, find out why, don't . Demand professional behavior.