Facebook Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2013's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

4.7

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg
Mark Zuckerberg

Pros
  • The best thing about this place is that you have so many smart people around you (in 70 reviews)

• Free food, young and lively coworkers, downtown location (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • Not the most understanding environment when it comes to work/life balance (in 42 reviews)

• Long Hours and some times you cant balance work and your personal life (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

Working at Facebook is Fantastic

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart and driven colleagues
    Vision of management and Mark Zuckerberg to prioritize long term goals over short term ones
    Ability to work on a product that affects hundreds of millions of people
    Employees given large responsibilities relatively early in their careers
    Strong culture makes it fun to work here

Cons

Relatively understaffed which means you have more responsibility and ability to define your work but longer hours
    Facebook starting to grow and increase its level of bureaucracy although it is still limited

It feels more like home than a job

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time for less than a year

Pros

- The ratio of employees to customers is still large enough that everything you do has impact
    - Employees are trusted with working on what's important without the need for constant overview
    - Everyone is smart, but rarely feel the need to prove it.
    - The amenities allow us to focus on our work, and also make us feel valued. Plus not having to go grocery shopping in eight months has been nice.
    - The campus really does feel like a home. This is the first job I've had where I really am glad to head into work and actually get disappointed when I see how quickly the day goes by.
    - The managers are very technical capable, and know when to manage and when to step back.

Cons

- The size of the company makes communication a little harder, and it's more difficult to get to know people who you don't normally work with.
    - Conversely, there aren't enough employees to have people working on whatever pet project they want. The work they do has to have as much impact as possible (but the hackathons are a good chance to work on those pet projects for a bit)
    - Too much beer

Facebook is a great place to work because it feels more like a group of capable engineers all trying to build a project together, rather than a hierarchy of workers. As the company grows it is important to use that as an opportunity to do more exciting projects instead of having more people work on the same projects.

Software engineering intern

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Small team, intetesting task, good work place

Cons

need good knowlage of internet technologies for good work process where

improve orientation for noobies

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

One of the best places to work for

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Facebook as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Facebook's culture of moving fast and breaking things is really great. You really get code in production very fast and you can make a large impact over the world pretty quick.
    Also the no cubicles workplace is nice, and all the other perks

Cons

I don't see any major downside of working at Facebook. Everything was just great during my whole internship.

Amazing experience, amazing company

Current Employee - Sales Director  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Director in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Everyone there has an opportunity to make an impact. Company moves very fast and prides itself on running lean. This means autonomy and opportunity for almost every employee.

Cons

Intense environment is not for everyone. Mission driven company means many decisions are made based on relevance back to product and mission.

Brag a little more: Be more active in publicly explaining your business model. You can talk publicly about how well you're doing while at the same time remaining coy and humble.

Avoid Bureaucracy and Nepotism: Remember to move fast and don't let your size get in the way, it started to happen a little bit. And Don't promote people based on one person's personal goal (i.e. Sheryl's mission to help women) - it's like internet nepotism.

FB is a rollercoaster of openness and communication that focuses on your ability to have impact on the world.

Current Employee - Operations Engineer  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than a year

Pros

You're treated like a human being. You're well-fed. The corporate structure is designed so you can float to where you think you can do the best work with minimal hassle. Acquiring needed equipment is low friction. Above all, we believe in what we're doing.

Cons

Base salary is a little below comparable companies. Young employee base can sometimes lack tact or manners. High density office plan presents parking issues.

Scaling to tens of thousands of employees is the biggest threat to the company. Keep everyone focused and keep teams small and nimble.

Fun, challenging and rewarding

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Being surrounded by great minds who always strive for to better themselves
    Flexibility and Freedom to fix/work on the things you want to work on.
    Free food doesn't hurt either - and it is GOOD food.

Cons

my only real complaint is that you sometimes reviewed solely based on the impact your work has rather than the quality.

See the cons.

Opportunity of a lifetime to solve cutting edge problems.

Current Employee - Principal  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Principal in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Co-workers are not only super-smart, but they're also super-fun and relatively normal people. The job comes with a built in social life, if you want it. That makes it extremely easy for those who move to the Bay Area without knowing many people.

Cons

Explosive growth and rapid hiring makes it sometime feel like a ton of people are getting hired into the spaces where you think you'd be promoted.

Step our press game up. If we're confident our products are the best they can be, then we shouldn't keep having PR trouble.

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!