Facebook Reviews

1. Amazing Company - Really Fast Pace

Current Employee - Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

Amazing people
    Great tools, culture, and benefits.

Cons

Super fast pace. I spent 8 years in consulting and this is consulting speed.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great job! This is an amazing place to work.

2. Get up excited to go to work!

Current Employee - Recruiter
    Current Employee - Recruiter

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been in this field (recruiting) for quite some time...I've worked for start-ups and large, F50 companies and Facebook is by far the best place I've ever worked. This is one of the only companies I've worked for were you live and breathe the mission/values and you can see how they are a part of your daily life. In my team, I'm treated like a professional and given the freedom to work with my clients the best way for me to have the most impact. I'm not going to speak for eveyone, but work-life balance is here for me. The benefits and compensation are ultra-competitive and I feel the company really listens to our needs. I trust in Mark and the rest of the leadership team to put Facebook in a position to succeed.

Cons

For me personally, the only down-side I see is there can be a lack of career growth/advancement opportunities. Some of that has to do with the relative "flatness" of the organization, but it's still a CON.

Advice to Management

As we continue to grow, please hold on tight to all the things that have made this company an amazing place to work.

3. Industry Manager

Current Employee - Industry Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Industry Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

This is the best place I have ever, and probably will ever work. You have autonomy and every resource to drive your own success, business impact, and career growth.

Most companies have a mission; some say they follow it, and extremely few are actually mission led. Facebook truly believes in making the world more open and connected; including those people who aren't even online yet. Every role and department ladders back to that.

In advertising sales, we have the goal of building our client's businesses by connecting them to the consumers who matter to them. More importantly, we ensure that people on Facebook are seeing ads that are relevant and high quality, this delivers shared value both for the advertiser and the end person using our products. We also have proven and measurable results across verticals, which drives continued client interest and adoption.

Having come from another founder led company, Mark is incredibly brilliant, open, honest and hard working. He surrounds himself with fantastic people, listens carefully, cares about the people who work for him, and makes long view decisions for the health of the company.

Management and the people who work at Facebook follow leadership's example, everyone rolls up their sleeves to get the work done, and is incredibly grateful to be here.

As a woman it's also inspiring and impactful to have female leadership at all levels, and colleagues who are incredibly encouraging. I personally experienced this when a male peer encouraged me to apply for a management position on our team. He referenced the known bias that women are less likely to apply if they don't have 100% of qualifications vs. men who take it as a suggestion. Beyond gender, the entire company strives for diversity and acceptance.

Cons

You have to be very self driven to succeed. Seeking out and maintaining internal relationships is critical for success. If you enjoy titles, offices and structure, this is not the place for you!

We have a saying at Facebook, "nothing is someone else's problem". That means you might be having a CMO level meeting with a client, and then helping clean up the meeting trash afterwards.

Advice to Management

As we grow continue to take feedback on regional and middle management results seriously. Greater transparency on compensation by roles/departments would help with career decisions.

5. No surprises

Current Employee - Partner Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Partner Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No surprises - Facebook is a great place to work. Clear vision from management, total autonomy to get your job done, fantastic perks and lots of career support.

Cons

It can be hard to keep up with all of the information and changes. It can also be hard to wrap your head around the sheer scale of what we do and how fast things are growing.

Advice to Management

Management should keep doing what they're doing.

6. Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Facebook is a great company with awesome perks. Perks are similar to Google's so you will be well taken care of in those terms. Also, the pay is very good.

Cons

Management tends to over complicate things. A lot more layers of management then when I first started two years ago.

Advice to Management

Promote employees that deserved to be promoted and not the ones that suck up.

Team Lead

Former Employee - Team Lead in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Team Lead in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook

Pros

Smart people. Cutting edge technologies. Amazing food.

Cons

Some huge, out-of-control egos in management, especially at the middle layers. Couple that with the general immaturity of the company and you'll see some very poor judgement and "Game of Thrones" style politics in a few departments.

Average tenure of a staff engineer is about 4 years - mostly because after the initial stock grants vest there is near zero incentive for anyone under a Director level to stay any longer.

Culture creates and fosters entitled whiners - so much so that it is a running joke inside the company, with groups such as "Patently Absurd Requests for Facebook Offices" making fun of it all. But then again, this company is largely made up of the "participation trophy" generation, who have been told they were super-special since they were born. Being hired by Facebook amplifies that self-esteem level well beyond eleven.

It is never spoken about, but staff turnover is huge. The washout rate of n00bs is likely around 40%. Truly talented staff move around, so team continuity is rare.

Zero work-life balance - unless you happen to have a kid while working there.

Advice to Management

Fix the broken review and calibration cycle, especially the schedule and unspoken stack ranking. Strive for higher competence levels in departments outside of Engineering - starting with HR.

Stop heaping huge rewards on people who ship shiny, Zuck-pleasing products that utterly fail in the marketplace.

Intern

I worked at Facebook

Pros

Great workplace
    Working on very interesting problems
    Really smart and motivated people

Cons

Too fast paced. Easy to burn out!
    I didn't have a good experience with my managers.

Advice to Management

I think there are small subteams within Facebook which may not be very well managed.

9. Overall Happy

Current Employee - Technical Sourcer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Sourcer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

- Great Benefits
    - Collaborative Environment
    - Transparency from leadership
    - High hiring bar - you really are working with the best and the brightest!
    - Strong company mission that is truly reflected throughout the company

Cons

- very hands off management approach (some might like this)
    - frequent reorganizations (maybe due to frequent manager changes because of growth)
    - lacking a diverse workforce (although this is changing)

In it for the long haul

Current Employee - Front End Engineer in West Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Front End Engineer in West Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook (More than a year)

Pros

High impact work solving real problems, often in a way that significantly changes social and economic reality for hundreds of millions of people across the world, and in ways that can transform our approaches to solving tech problems. Working among super smart people.

Cons

The bar is very high, so at times it can be quite stressful keeping up.

Best experience of my career life.

Current Employee - California in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - California in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

1. a mission that has meaning to me, 2. smart people I learn from, 3. big challenges to tackle every day.

Cons

I have to carefully manage my time. I don't like to think of it as work/life balance because that's not realistic but work/life integration is very achievable and something I constantly have to work at.

Showing 856 of 1,028 reviews