Facebook Reviews

Reset

1. No surprises

Current Employee - Partner Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Partner Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No surprises - Facebook is a great place to work. Clear vision from management, total autonomy to get your job done, fantastic perks and lots of career support.

Cons

It can be hard to keep up with all of the information and changes. It can also be hard to wrap your head around the sheer scale of what we do and how fast things are growing.

Advice to Management

Management should keep doing what they're doing.

2. Awesome culture, fantastic projects great people

Current Employee - Software Engineer V in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer V in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time

Pros

Your working on big problems that impact on the lives of millions of people. Work with exceptionally talented people. The perks are outstanding too

Cons

Expectation to always be online and responsive even after hours. People work hard, and quick release cycles mean you're always very busy

Advice to Management

Keep being awesome!

Best experience of my career life.

Current Employee - California in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - California in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

1. a mission that has meaning to me, 2. smart people I learn from, 3. big challenges to tackle every day.

Cons

I have to carefully manage my time. I don't like to think of it as work/life balance because that's not realistic but work/life integration is very achievable and something I constantly have to work at.

In it for the long haul

Current Employee - Front End Engineer in West Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Front End Engineer in West Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook (More than a year)

Pros

High impact work solving real problems, often in a way that significantly changes social and economic reality for hundreds of millions of people across the world, and in ways that can transform our approaches to solving tech problems. Working among super smart people.

Cons

The bar is very high, so at times it can be quite stressful keeping up.

6. Fast moving, always learning

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Autonomy, Inspiring Leadership, wonderful benefits, colleagues feel like family, mission driven company

Cons

Work life balance is a challenge, but there's a real movement from management to try and tackle that.

Great People, Great Mission, Feeling a bit big at the moment.

Current Employee - Quantitative Researcher in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Quantitative Researcher in New York, NY

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, lots of learning opportunities, good people, good mission.

Cons

Often tone-deaf to real-world (non-SV) problems; undergoing significant growing pains; lots of outside hires for upper management positions; increasing eng/non-eng/sales splits

8. Amazing company

I worked at Facebook full-time

Pros

Love the culture, things move quickly, and the place is always innovating. You will grow a tremendous amount here. Very smart, driven peers, and a multitude of growth opportunities.

Cons

The work environment is very challenging, so you should be at the top of your game if you work here.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what youre doing. Mark has a clear idea for the future of the company, so I wouldnt be able to tell him something he hasnt already thought of.

Great place to work

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

- Big company: you get to see and learn a lot since it's transparent

Cons

- It's a fairly big company now, and at higher levels you need to know how to navigate and influence in a bigger company.

10. Positive.

Former Employee - Designer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Designer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Facebook

Pros

Salary, and exciting projects to work on.

Cons

Work life balance fell through the cracks

Landslide win over Google for career growth

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I just left Google and joined Facebook, and felt so much happier. The reasons are:

1. The real impact
    At Google I joined a team whose product is only used by less than 1000 people, and even for that product I was assigned to do a peripheral part, whose functionality actually doesn't matter at all. Just for that module, I had to write unit test for every silly part of the code, and took long iteration cycles. I admit those are good engineering coding trainings, however taking precious time in my life to work on something that doesn't matter is just a waste of my life.

In Facebook things just move so much faster. There are standard software engineering review process but not as rigid. Just during training (boot camp) weeks, I had tasks to change very important part of Facebook's core code, and the second day after I check-in my code, it got shipped to almost 1 billion people. As a software engineer I cannot recall a moment I felt better for my job.

Then I joined a team that's extremely important to Facebook's revenue. A mistake in the code I changed could cause Facebook million dollar a day. However Facebook just trusted us, allowed us making mistake and having quick iteration cycles to test ideas fast. If I make a coding mistake in my team in Google it might cost Google nothing in terms of revenue as my product was small, however the development process was so strict I could not have chance to try my innovations or test my ideas. But in Facebook that's all possible.

2. The organizational structure
    Google's organization is now very structured and hierarchical. Facebook is having more layers, but the working style is still flat, and social-network style. Speaking to people in different teams, form an idea, lead a virtual team and complete it, this style is still valued. My boss is more like a mentor helping me navigating through the ideas, rather than an authority telling me what to do.

Cons

1. I don't quite like the office decoration style. A little bit stressful and factory like.
    2. The compensation is better than Google but not as good as other smaller companies.
    3. Despite good acquisitions for solidify the position in social media, social networks, there is still uncertainty about the future of this company.

Showing 851 of 1,020 reviews