Facebook Reviews

Updated April 24, 2015
952 reviews filtered by

1. It was helful

I worked at Facebook

Pros

Lots of learning opportunities in facebook

Cons

Too hard to do the interview

TheFacebook needs real managers

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Facebook full-time

Pros

Cool; (duh, it's Facebook!). Great resources, lots of 'candy' (e.g. free food, parties,...), super autonomous (do your job anyway you want as long as it gets done. Have a trip to Menlo Park; no problem, etc...). Great impact (did I mention the billion+ people using this thing?). Great culture (when applied - see notes below). Great benefits (salary, shares, medical, 401k,...)

Cons

Bad work / life balance - you better be jusr out of college with no wife/husband/partner; nor any children.
    They do not know how to deal with senior people. Managers are just employees who do more work; they do not have time or the need to help out. I have seen a few people get thrown under the bus by the boss - why defend your team when Menlo Parks complains because they do not know what you are doing; fix another task and get new employees.

Advice to Management

Get real managers. I have seen many people from your Seattle office leave or "get helped" to leave - they were not bad employees and you paid a lot to acquire them - you have a revolving door because you have junior managers - at best - running the office; and they report to even less trained managers in Menlo Park. You are making tons of money right now and it probably won't show up for quite some time, but, at one point, poor people management will cause pains to Facebook - in 5 years you will be like Google and in 10 you will be like Microsoft. Fix it now!
    I totally believed in the Culture and Values which Facebook says it has... I have not seen it applied evenly.

Outright amazing place to work if you 'feel' it ...

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

- Company really, really loves its employees, given they are delivering
    - High energy, talented colleagues. Tons of learning opportunities from others
    - Super perks - 4 months paternity leave, free food, social events
    - Freedom. Lots of rope to define own path in an area or on a team

Cons

- Expectations are high so a lot people are putting in long hours. I haven't had a problem with work/life balance, though.
    - Technical debt. Moving fast means adding layers vs. designing stable systems.
    - Crowding. Recent employee growth means it can be hard to find private space for meetings, calls, etc...

It's a privilege everyday

Current Employee - Client Partner in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Client Partner in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Zuck is a legend in his own time, his Friday Q&A's are can't miss and it is awesome to hear him handle the tough unexpected questions.
    Perks are world class
    Leadership listens to challenges that employees are facing and for the most part makes changes to correct.
    It is a fun culture and we have some pretty legendary parties
    It is stunning how transparent leadership is with the whole company.

Cons

The commute to Menlo Park
    Occasional Politics

Advice to Management

Keep facing the tough challenges head on
    Open a San Francisco office, this will eventually be a weakness because all younger companies are located in city.

Great company with awesome management & engineering

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Open culture: problems get discussed openly and fixed, not just being gossiped in the background
    - Great infrastructure, engineering talents: jobs get easier & more satisfying, you can grow faster than ever before & learn tons of new things on daily basis

Cons

- You often have to do crazy amount of work in a very short time
    - Not a startup anymore: You can't get super rich while waiting for some IPO. The stock value still grows, but already quite expensive.

Advice to Management

Keep doing awesome work, provide more and more opportunities for the employee to grow and learn new things

Spectacular engineering talent, but a pretty isolated environment.

Former Intern - Front End Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Intern - Front End Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook as an intern

Pros

The environment is really fast-paced, with a lot of freedom. As Facebook grows, there's more and more of a spectrum of different types of work environments and managerial relationships--all the way from entirely hands off, to much more hand holding if you need it.

Speaking as a UI engineering: You'll learn more here than pretty much anywhere else. When it comes to UI tech specifically, Facebook seems much more willing to work from first principles and carefully try new concepts at scale than other places.

Cons

Major Silicon Valley companies are frequently a bit isolated--and to some extent that's what makes them good at what they do, by helping them ignore the ways things have been done. In Facebook's case, I found the office environment very isolated from the rest of the area. There's walls all around the campus, and it's across a freeway from the rest of the Menlo Park area, so it takes planning if you want to interact with non-Facebook employees in a typical workday. Being so isolated doesn't seem advantageous as a situation for a company that's trying to make the world more open and connected.

Advice to Management

Find more ways to engage the surrounding georgraphic community with the Facebook community, embrace remote work tech and habits, and encourage workers to get off campus more and wander a bit and talk to people.

I work on the communications team at Facebook

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

-Relatively flat company
    -Most teams I know report they work pretty autonomously and are not micromanaged
    -Really talented people and I never feel like I'm competing with anyone for projects or time with leadership
    -Personally I feel like I have a good work/life balance minus the commute

Cons

-Like most companies, your experience will largely depend on your manager and your team
    -Working with teams can be very disorganized or frustrating due to lack of anyone following the same process
    -Personally, don't feel the compensation at FB can compare to the other large tech companies, including Google and LinkedIn

Big but cool place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Facebook was a cool place to work, but the company is a behemoth now. The perks are great and there are some really incredible people and projects at Facebook.

Cons

Work / life balance is a bit off here especially if you live in the city. The perks are great but the expectation is to stay at the office for ridiculous hours. Also, as the company has grown so have the politics.

Advice to Management

Fix some of the culture and politics, but overall doing a good job

Feels much more like big company than they'd lead you to believe in the interview process.

Former Employee - Operations in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Operations in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very smart co-workers, fast-paced atmosphere, great networking (strong ex-employee groups after you leave), constantly changing and evolving. Mark is a strong product leader. Ability to leverage the experience for more fulfilling opportunities after you leave.

Cons

Very difficult work environment - extremely political, it combines many of the worst elements of a startup (uncertainty, lack of structure, cult-like worship of leaders) and a big company (hierarchical, hard to advance, lack of trust and needless internal competition). Large amounts of nepotism around promotions. A general culture of fear - middle management is terrified of senior management. While very smart, your colleagues will also be extremely arrogant and willing to do anything to get noticed/promoted. In general, this is not a place to go to make friends or feel like you're working together as part of a team.

11. Facebook Summer Internship

Current Employee - Software Inter in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Software Inter in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

Very nice benefits and surrounded by smart people.

Cons

The conditions are too good so I want to come back.

Advice to Management

Nope.