Facebook

Facebook Reviews in San Francisco, CA

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg

Mark Zuckerberg

Pros
  • The best thing about this place is that you have so many smart people around you(in 70 reviews)

• Free food, young and lively coworkers, downtown location(in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • Not the most understanding environment when it comes to work/life balance(in 42 reviews)

• Long Hours and some times you cant balance work and your personal life(in 24 reviews)

296 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Still trying to be a start up even though we're a big company. Still fun, smart and a great place to be

Technical Project Manager (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA

ProsFun culture, super smart people, great benefits (for non married folks), still retains the "let's do everything at a breakneck speed" mentality. The hierarchy is still pretty flat. You are always in charge of your destiny so it's pretty much up to you to step up or sit down. If you sit down too long, you won't last. This is a company of doers, not debaters. There is opportunity everywhere as long as you have the attitude to do something with it. Most everyone is incredibly helpful.

ConsMoving fast doesn't always mean doing it right - While you're pretty much allowed to try anything, as a large company, we should slow down and mature some of the processes in order to maintain a high quality of shipped products as opposed to letting the culture of "fail fast" cause duplicate work.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in managers. By this I mean, allow a manager to focus on managing most of the time if it's right for the role. While its admirable that managers always need to work as well, not being graded on managerial skills creates unnecessary employee relations issues. At any other place, the manager can be one of the most critical advocates to a worker's career. Facebook is the only place I've ever been at where we can really have our managers bring out the best in folks and focus only on that role since the hierarchy is pretty flat. No where else has that opportunity. And while managers are general awesome, the management role is just not being used to its full potential.

This is absolutely the best company to work for!

Ios Software Engineer (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA

ProsThe people. The work. The culture. The perks. The CEO.

# ^ $

ConsSome code is messy (but a lot isn't). The branding could use some love.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing. Also make our brand better.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Extremely open and fast moving company.

Software Engineer IV (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA

ProsYou ship code within your first two weeks. Hundreds of millions of people around the world care about what you do. Pay and benefits are great, particularly RSU offerings. You're expected to move up (and get raises, bonuses, more RSUs) quickly. You can do pretty much whatever you want and work on whatever you want. There aren't a lot of rules, other than security/privacy practices. Even on mobile apps, your code ships fast.

Facebook's onboarding process is the best I've ever seen, and I've worked at a lot of other major companies. You're hired as an engineer, not as someone to fill a specific job. Then you spend your first six weeks getting to know how all of the company works, filling in small holes on code bases that you aren't familiar with (web, Android, iOS, data analysis stuff), and learning what problems in the company you most want to work on, before you pick your team. Every large software company should be doing this.

ConsThey do claim ownership of code you write outside of work, unless you run it by legal first.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't ever get rid of Boot Camp. Adding on iOS and Android camp afterwards is a great idea; I wish it had been there when I started.

Please change the "we own all you do, even outside of work, unless you clear it first" policy. It might turn Silicon Valley die-hards off, particularly the startup dreamers who want to get their feet wet first at a company known for moving fast. I think we'd want to snag those people and convince them to pursue their ideas with us, rather than frighten them away with the thought that they might legally give away their big idea when they come to it. Even if we lose a few, or most, I'd rather have them with us for a while.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pretty good place to work

Account Manager (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA

ProsThe campus is insane, great place to be, delicious food, positive environment overall. Young team overall, great benefits.

ConsThe company has grown a lot and with that came politics and an unusual (at least for me) level of competitiveness amongst colleagues. Constant re-orgs make it a little difficult to grow, as you end up changing managers all the time and you role changes as well. The advertising product is far from stable and they keep changing everything all the time, which confuses the team and the marketplace (and makes the sales process more challenging).

Excellent

User Operations Analyst (Former Employee) Menlo Park, CA

ProsGood pay, excellent environment, tons of perks, opportunity to work with several teams, beautiful office, Opportunities for mobility within the company, everyone feels like they're on the same team

Consrepetetive work, cult-ish, but only if you feel that way,

Awesome place to work that has huge impact, lots of fun, and a ton to learn

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA

ProsHuge impact on billions of people while working with awesome, insanely intelligent coworkers at a pleasant office. Great free food and perks. Lots of autonomy and big problems to solve. Engineer driven culture. Down to earth, available CEO.

ConsBeing on-call and dealing with lots of product uncertainty. Long commute if you live in SF. Work-life balance tends to steer toward work.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's nothing I'd advice them that I wouldn't and haven't said in person.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Facebook - MPK is a great place to work

Platform Operations Analyst (Former Employee) Menlo Park, CA

Prosthe food is incredible, the people are bright and fun, there's opportunity to effect millions of people with what you create

Consmove fast break things may mean that the project you're working on will not work out. so while they execute things quickly they also kill things off quickly. also that commute is rough if you live in the city.

Advice to Senior Managementspend more time with your employees

Excellent culture

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Menlo Park, CA

ProsI had the privilege of working at this company as an intern a few times. Of all the internships I've had, this company's culture best aligns with my own. The teams tend to be small, the work environment really feels like home. The food is ok, but I mainly ate at the salad bar. I love that as an engineer, I'm not restricted in the type of equipment I get, and that I can get whatever I need to improve myself.

ConsThis isn't the best place, if you want to have an excellent work life balance, since it's really easy to just stay at work all the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementNever lose that sense of small company feel just to have more control or order.

Great company

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Menlo Park, CA

Prosgreat company and online prodict

Consnot that many significant cons

Advice to Senior Managementkepp doing what your doing

Nice place to work. Interesting problems.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA

ProsNice fast paced culture, that encourages folks to take risks.
    Smart set of co-workers.
    Nice perks. Laundary, food, loaded micro-kitchens, pay etc etc.

ConsCan be a little haphazad.
    Managers are promoted in-house, and sometimes they can be inexperienced or not very good.
    Timelines can be aggressive.

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!