Facebook

Facebook Reviews in San Francisco, CA

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg

Mark Zuckerberg

Pros
  • The best thing about this place is that you have so many smart people around you(in 70 reviews)

• Free food, young and lively coworkers, downtown location(in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • Not the most understanding environment when it comes to work/life balance(in 42 reviews)

• Long Hours and some times you cant balance work and your personal life(in 24 reviews)

296 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Need to suck up to management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Menlo Park, CA

Pros- Some of the smartest engineers I've ever worked with
    - Great free food and perks (dry cleaning, snacks, etc)
    - Lots of opportunities to make things happen -- great bottoms up culture
    - Mostly very nice people who try to help each other out

Cons- Engineering management runs the show -- you need to suck up to them to succeed, and if you dare disagree, prepare to leave
    - Poor quality management -- many are set there by level and for being smart technically, but aren't good people and career managers
    - Terrible work/life balance unless you actively set barriers and don't do some things
    - Sloppy coding -- hacking is more prized than good structure and elegance
    - A bit overly full of itself and entitled

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more selective with managers and get people who communicate well and genuinely care about their employees. Some of this can be trained / mentored but there are folks who really just shouldn't be people managers.

It was really Awesome <3 Love you mark <3 <3

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA

ProsGreat Teamwork! , Great CEO ,Great Engineers

ConsLess work life management , Over work ,

Advice to Senior ManagementGive employment better and keep respect

Fun company, bad product in my opinion.

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Menlo Park, CA

ProsLots of interesting problems to solve.

ConsLots of boring problems to solve.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on keepin on.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I can honestly say it's the best job I've ever had.

Technical Sourcer (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA

ProsThe autonomy, it's culture (move fast and break things), the people are very supportive and helpful, and the work/life balance.

ConsBecause things are constantly in flex, your job is always changing (sometimes for the better or worst). No structure when it's needed at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementPolitics will exist in any company so it's not too major, but the relationships you have with management does seem to influence career advancement which should never be the case. A good manager makes a huge difference on the employees experience. There needs to be trust and support established with your direct reports.

Sometimes good, sometimes a bad place to work.

SCO-Infrastructure (Former Employee) Menlo Park, CA

ProsBenefits, perks and pay are good. Most people are very nice.

ConsFacebook could have been a great place to work, had it not been for the management in certain departments. When half of the people in your group quit, because they couldn't work for the new management, there is a problem. Yet upper management seemed to not notice this.

There is no work/life balance at Facebook. Good luck getting time off, as you don't have time to leave your desk to take a vacation or have a day off, and don't have backups to support you, so if you do get a day off, your desk is piled with the work that didn't get done when you were gone.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure the people you hire for management positions, are a good fit to Facebook culture. Because some managers shouldn't even have been hired in the first place, and FB lost a lot of good people for this reason.

Managers: Make sure that you stick to your words when asking us to trust you, and not stab your star employees in the back.

Recruiting role at Facebook

Recruiter (Former Employee) Menlo Park, CA

ProsFacebook itself is a great place to work but your experience varies based on the team.

ConsBecause everyone is a high performer, the bar is really high and competitive. Work life balance is not a possibility.

An awesome place to work

Intern - Monthly (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsI like the culture there.

ConsThe working time is a big stressful.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am not really familiar with the management given the length of time I stayed.

The worst management experience of my career.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA

ProsMore food then you could ever imagine, shuttle service, bike shop, events and more perks, and more perks and more perks.
    Lots of smart people and the ability to work from home on occasion.

ConsCommunication across teams and even within teams, career growth, salaries are so low in comparisons to the market value of the employees skills, privacy, and worst of all inexperienced management. The lack of compassion in this company is unbelievable, and the lack of mentorship is surprising.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some adults! Learn to invest in your current employees career growth.

wild ride, decent pay, demanding standards

Operations Engineer (Former Employee) Menlo Park, CA

Pros-life changing experience

-work on world class infrastructure

-dynamite resume material

-make hundreds of connections with other people in the industry, as they filter out to other companies over several years you will have connections everywhere

-Interview training. Your interview game for the next job will be vastly improved.

-Perf evaluations pretty fair.

-Worth it. You can pivot your experience at Facebook into a job anywhere else, often with less stress and more money. Lots of companies use Facebook a recruiting filter.

Cons-Work/life balance.

-The technical bar for managers is very high, which means a lot of them aren't actually very good managers.

-Perf evaluations are about impact, and that basically means glory laden projects. Don't count on your manager, you need to make it rain.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen I think of IC quality at Facebook, my impression is universally excellent, exceptions are even better than that. I have never seen a greater concentration of awesome.

That is not what I think of the quality of managers at Facebook. Some are pretty bad.

Excellent

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA

ProsOpen culture, everything is transparent to everyone; move fast like a startup rather an big company; engineer here is very nice

Constoo many good food, you have to control your mouse from gaining too much weight; it is IPO so not much change to getting rich

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!