Facebook

Updated November 13, 2014
4.5

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg
Mark Zuckerberg

Pros
  • You have occasion to work with super smart people from the industry (in 85 reviews)

• Amazing office culture and community and the free food doesn't hurt (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • Another thing that no one will agree with me on is the work-life balance (in 54 reviews)

• Long hours away from home, due to my own commute situation and long working hours (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

366 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A Management Nightmare

Former Employee - Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Looks great on your resume. Lots of perks (if that's what moves you). Interesting story to tell your friends.

Cons

If you're a manager, this place will drive you nuts. Employees are snarky, entitled, and disrespectful brats. They have no concept of critical thinking or any desire to do real work.

Unlimited sick days in the hands of overpaid children is impossible to manage, my team would somehow always manage to catch a "cold" on Fridays and Mondays. (Interesting that they would Tweet and post about their weekend party binges though.)

While Facebook does a great job recruiting Ivy League talent, I was underwhelmed by the level of intelligence of "Facebookers." They are so busy congratulating themselves on being "awesome" that they never stop to consider they didn't have any real world work experience to back that assertion up. It's really hard to manage and lead people who "know it all."

Kitchy inspirational posters everywhere you look. "Be Bold!" "Dare Greatly!" Yet, I didn't see any substantive work or product coming out of anyone, which makes sense since Facebook really is just a glorified website - users are the product.

Communication is an absolute nightmare. You are forced to "friend" everyone you work with and join an incessant amount of internal group pages where you had to filter through all the BS people would post (memes, YouTube videos, snarky hipster comments…clearly these people didn't have enough work to do) to get to any relevant work related information you needed to know for your job. I actually thought I was going to get dumber working there.

Meetings - the sheer volume was mind bending. None of them critical to doing actual work, more self congratulating on unearned awesomeness. Being social at Facebook was far more important than doing anything meaningful while you were there.

Anyone serious about doing meaningful work need not apply. You'll make it a few months and then quit out of frustration.

Grow up!!! You're not in Zuck's dorm room anymore.

Do not join the recruiting team, the rest of company is pretty good.

Former Employee - Recruiter in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are tons of perks but after 3yrs it doesn't matter if you are not happy with the team, job or the way you are treated.

Cons

I have many but I'll keep this short. I'd say the biggest problem is the recruiting managment and also the lack of growth opportunities.

Wow, so much to say here. Again to keep it short and sweet, I'd say stop treating people like they are work horses and move away from the belief that the more you beat them down the more you think you'll get out them.

On a side note, this is only for the recruiting team. The rest of Facebook's teams actually seemed pretty great with the exception of a few.

slow career and bad management

Current Employee - Software Engineering in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The office environment is good in general, also having a big name on your resume may be good for the future.
    Most of the colleagues are very prepared technically.

Cons

As company grows they are trying to cut costs, objectives are unrealistically set, bonuses and promotions are considerably lower.
    If you work here on visa, pay increases and promotions are slowed down even more.
    Mid management gets packed with responsibilities, the individual contribution is no longer relevant, the general philosophy seems to be "it's normal for people to leave the company" and that happens regularly after every performance cycle or stock vesting time.
    To counterbalance this, company seems to brainwash employees with slogans, posters are everywhere around the office to make "the culture", many company employees believe and talk with slogans.
    Life/work balance is simply set to "no life".
    I've seen managers complain if someone takes more than one week off in a row, or making jokes about family duties the first day someone returns from parental leave.

managers promoted from engineering are not always able to deal with people.

Extremely cliquey, political, poor culture, lacking in communication and career growth.

Former Employee - Finance in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Finance in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazing food, great campus and latest technology.

Cons

Management lacking in leadership and communication. Blamed is passed down to front line employee's. Very poor work life balance. Half the department left due to politics.

Not all it's cracked up to be

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working at a world leading company
    Excellent pay

Cons

Grueling hours
    Rude management
    Angry colleagues who are disillusioned with the company

You need to work this out otherwise more stories like this are going to leak out and then there will be trouble

It was fair - lots of opportunities to learn - few opportunities to work on interesting projects

Former Employee - Product Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (more than an year)

Pros

High compensation, generous time-off. Good food. (the hamburger place is always tasty). The propaganda is usually enticing and the sweet shop keeps you fat.

Cons

Company culture is broken. Office leadership is broken. Work is not challenging or interesting.

Before hiring new employees, please be honest with them about what working at Facebook is truly like and what the projects they will work on are in reality. Don't lie and use your company brand collateral to rope in smart and motivated people to only then suck their souls out of their bodies.

Immature company

Former Employee - Expense Analyst in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Expense Analyst in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Casual environment, healthy snacks provided, fun campus, pay is great

Cons

Many of the employees are arrogant, which seems to be encouraged by management. There are a complete lack of processes and an attitude of being too cutting edge to create them. They treat contractors like second class citizens. There is definitely a culture of us and them, also people are more than willing to throw others under the bus to look good. It would be a fun job if you're 22, but if you have worked at a company that is established, the immaturity is apparent.

You're still a young company, you're not "too ahead" to set up processes. Need to train employees better, not just sink or swim!!

Former member of recruiting team

Former Employee - Recruiting Team in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Recruiting Team in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The campus is awesome. There is an arcade, a coffee shop, tons of options for food, most of which are delicious. It was a fun atmosphere...outside of the recruiting team.

Cons

Recruiting team managers and director were not genuine. I always felt like they were fake. Talking behind your back and smiling in your face. No wonder all the good people in recruiting are now at pinterest!

Be nice. Be genuine. Care about your team members.

Great company, but disorganization + bad management = a terrible experience for me.

Former Employee - Designer in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Designer in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Really smart people, Zuck has weekly Q+As and answers everything

Cons

The Revenue org is the worst. There is a total lack of transparency, which is different that the Eng and Design orgs.

They say it's easy to transfer, but it's hard to find a role if you aren't a specialist.

It's not okay to block your employees from doing the work they were hired to do and for not telling them the work was on hold for 8 months.

Mediocre managers at best

Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

There are a lot of smart people at Facebook. My colleagues are smart and nice. Even after I left Facebook, I kept my connections with them. With their help, I am able to land a job at a promising job at a top startup.

Cons

My manager knew very little about computer science and the basic principles about software engineering. I feel sorry for him when he mentioned the peer pressure at FB, and showed me "good" examples of code. I do not bother to work with him again.

When you hire managers from outside the company, you need to be careful about their technical skills. Hire more smart new graduates, instead of some mediocre managers from some other companies.