Facebook

Updated August 18, 2014

4.3

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg
Mark Zuckerberg

Pros
  • The best thing about this place is that you have so many smart people around you (in 70 reviews)

• Free food, young and lively coworkers, downtown location (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • Not the most understanding environment when it comes to work/life balance (in 42 reviews)

• Long Hours and some times you cant balance work and your personal life (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

312 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Extremely cliquey, political, poor culture, lacking in communication and career growth.

Former Employee - Finance  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Finance in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

Amazing food, great campus and latest technology.

Cons

Management lacking in leadership and communication. Blamed is passed down to front line employee's. Very poor work life balance. Half the department left due to politics.

high expectations, low salaries

Current Employee - Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

-food
    -technological exposure
    -a lot of well prepared people

Cons

-salaries are ridiculously low
    -high expectations not well compensated
    -wealthy management doesn't seems to care about lower levels (IC-3s, IC-4s)
    -internal propaganda sometimes a bit annoying

Increase salaries, as seeing CEO giving away billions while struggling to live does not improve productivity or moral.

Not all it's cracked up to be

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

Working at a world leading company
    Excellent pay

Cons

Grueling hours
    Rude management
    Angry colleagues who are disillusioned with the company

You need to work this out otherwise more stories like this are going to leak out and then there will be trouble

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Mediocre managers at best

Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

There are a lot of smart people at Facebook. My colleagues are smart and nice. Even after I left Facebook, I kept my connections with them. With their help, I am able to land a job at a promising job at a top startup.

Cons

My manager knew very little about computer science and the basic principles about software engineering. I feel sorry for him when he mentioned the peer pressure at FB, and showed me "good" examples of code. I do not bother to work with him again.

When you hire managers from outside the company, you need to be careful about their technical skills. Hire more smart new graduates, instead of some mediocre managers from some other companies.

Used to be a great company

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

- Smart individual contributors
    - The managers who grew organically with the company are pretty good too.
    - Awesome product and impacting 1 billion people.
    - culture used to be good, but deteriorating. have to be careful

Cons

- I have noticed we are hiring more and more managers from outside which is bad for morale. In analytics, hiring leaders from outside is a top priority.
    - Many of these newly hired managers are not in sync with our culture. Even if that was not the case, it's still bad for morale.
    - Life work balance is too much skewed towards work.

Don't hire outside managers. Promote from within. I'm giving Mark an "approve" below. He's awesome but he should tell the M-team not to hire outside managers whenever possible.

Data Science

Current Employee - Data Scientist  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

Smart people, especially many with PhDs and other forms of strong academic performance.

Cons

Product Managers treat analytics as ad hoc data pullers. Data and development environment actively hinders cross analyst information and expertise sharing.

Clarify job roles differences between data science, analytics and business intelligence. Incorporate standardization and peer review principles of software engineering into analytics workflows.

Smart, boring people and no balance.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

The people are smart, and the scaling challenges are great. Where else does your code impact a billion people? The compensation is amazing.

Senior management are generally amazing people, smart, visionary and compassionate.

Cons

The focus on measuring means anything that can't be measured is ignored. It's easy to measure someone's ability to code on a whiteboard. As a result, the coders are much better than nearly everywhere I've worked, but that's it. Social skills and personality can't be measured. As a result there is no one here you would ever be friends. The internal surveys bear this point that people don't have friends at work. Similarly for managers, they are selected strictly for their technical ability. Again, they have zero compassion. In my time being here, I've never once felt like anyone cared if I was here or not. Not once has anything positive ever been said. It's really astounding.

Recruiting does an amazing job at making candidates feel wanted. That feeling disappears the moment you sign. After that, you have no manager or anyone who will care. You'll go into bootcamp where you'll have a "mentor". His role is to continue to do his job while counting the number of lines in your diffs to make sure you can make progress with no assistance.

After bootcamp, you'll have a manager who operates in the same mode. They are interested in the technology and not the people. To them, you are a resource to be maximized. They will tell you everything you need to do to improve, but never once say "good job". In boot camp, I kept meeting these amazing, visionary dynamic managers. I know realize they were the exception. Those people made me love Facebook during bootcamp, but that feeling wore off quickly once I interacted with the average line level manager.

Plus, beware of the reviews here. Recruiting will tell you point blank that they curate these reviews. The reason FB has the highest rating is because someone internally has a goal to achieve certain star ratings on this site.

Start selecting people for human relationship skills and focus less on pure technical ability.

The worst management experience of my career.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

More food then you could ever imagine, shuttle service, bike shop, events and more perks, and more perks and more perks.
    Lots of smart people and the ability to work from home on occasion.

Cons

Communication across teams and even within teams, career growth, salaries are so low in comparisons to the market value of the employees skills, privacy, and worst of all inexperienced management. The lack of compassion in this company is unbelievable, and the lack of mentorship is surprising.

Hire some adults! Learn to invest in your current employees career growth.

Salary is so low that you need to bring food home

Current Employee - Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

you have a big name on your CV

Cons

you will need to bring food and snacks home from the office if you want to survive

It's degrading have to systematically "steal" food from the office, please pay us more, salary is just average, promotions are non existent after a couple of years.

nice campus, bad salaries, lot of pressure

Current Employee - Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

-nice working environment
    -a lot of food

Cons

-low salary, you will starve if you are a single income family
    -salary + benefits does not compensate the huge effort you will make on a job here
    -lot of pressure to deliver or pretend to deliver something with impact

Company could definitely afford to pay above the average, instead is keeping people "hungry" with the excuse of free food and having FB name on CV.

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!