Facebook Reviews

Reset
4.6
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg
Mark Zuckerberg

Pros
  • Your surrounded by smart people (in 85 reviews)

• Free food and frequent offsites (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work/life balance at Facebook (in 54 reviews)

• No work/life balance; long hours; must work a lot just to stay afloat; difficult for those with families and/or small children (in 26 reviews)

1. Positive Feedback

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook (Less than a year)

Pros

Best company for an intern! Everything is free and there is a good hotel to live!
    Worked on an independent project. (This is really good compare to some interns in Canada..)

Cons

Really good company and no big cons..
    Ok.. food is not good as heard..

Advice to Management

My manager offers me minimum help as usual.

Great benefits, changing culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Facebook is working on some inspiring things & it's cool to be a part of it.

Many of the people they hire are extremely bright.

Benefits are awesome.

Cons

Work/Life Balance is non-existent. As is career development opportunities & mobility on the non-technical side.

Management is really poor & gets increasingly detached and political the higher up you get.

They tend to reward/promote people who can make themselves look good, rather than people who actually get stuff done. This wasn't the case when I joined; but, the culture has shifted dramatically in that direction.

Advice to Management

The culture is shifting pretty dramatically, and the ability to actually affect change is decreasing. The company is starting to suffer from a lot of "big company" problems that will affect it's ability to succeed in the long run.

Data Scientist

Current Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I get to work every day on interesting problems together with incredibly smart and committed coworkers. The internal tools we have in place to perform analysis are world class.

Cons

It's very hard to advance your career if you want to have work-life balance. The fast pace and the high demands foster burnout in a lot of employees.

Advice to Management

I can only speak for Management in Analytics: The load of work in Analytics is poorly distributed. Some Data Scientists have to support several products while others get away with simply keeping track of a metric.

I would advice management to keep a check on the workload distribution, as a lot of the most talented data scientists see their careers stall as a result of this imbalance.

Getting Corporate

Former Employee - Data Scientist in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Data Scientist in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Food
    - Health care benefits
    - Fringe benefits
    - Nice campus
    - Corporate shuttles
    - State of the art tech stack
    - Extremely smart coworkers
    - Visionary and bold top management

Cons

Work/life balance can get hurt as a lot of folks at the office are single and do not understand the needs of having a family.

The company is getting bigger. This means more room for backroom politics and aligning people without ruffling people's feathers.

Very talented individual contributors (and/or good at politics) are being promoted. As a result, instead of having well rounded managers, you end up having either extremely career driven or super awkward managers. Some of those middle managers are very green, making it even more painful.

Some women feel like they have to be extra tough at work because of the Leanin coolaid, making them very hard to work with.

Advice to Management

Continue the great job at investing for the future of the company.

Try to be a little more sound at the way promotions to middle management roles works.

Current Employee - Product Designer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Product Designer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

It much better working environment than most of the companies.

Cons

no such cons for company like facebook

Software Engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for with amazing co-workers and benefits. One of the best places to get exposure to problems of scale, great opportunities to move internally and learn new technologies.

Cons

Work life balance might be a little tough to attain.

Advice to Management

Improve work life balance.

Loving My Job

Current Employee - Product Specialist in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Product Specialist in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Every single day I am learning something new on the job-- I love being constantly encouraged and stretched in my role! Plus, I have the opportunity to work with people who are absolutely best in their fields.

Cons

Facebook moves extremely fast -- it can be tough to stay on top of all the product/strategy changes. Innovation is extremely important to us, so we have to make sure that all of our operational teams can keep up.

Software Engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1) Company has unique culture to make everyone a full stack all-round engineer. So if you come from companies you getting used to own an area and close the door, don't come to Facebook you can't survive.

2) Company benefits is almost the best (only some much smaller companies can beat it from some certain perspectives, but it's still much better than Google and slightly better than Linkedin). Thinking about the # of days in PTO (6 days more than Google or Microsoft), food/Micro-Kitchen (which is way better than Google/Microsoft, especially Micro-Kitchen), and almost everything else you can tell..

3) Company has very good perspective, not only due to its unique properties as a social network, but also due to its CEO Zuck who does the right things most of the time..

4) Due to reason 3), you can see people here working with more passion and happiness, there're always lots of great projects to choose from and they just don't have enough people to work on.

5) Bootcamp project is unique among large companies (I'm seeing other smaller companies like Dropbox has similar stuffs but).. This project almost make sure you can land on a team you have passion with. Whereas in companies like Google you mostly drop onto a team blindly..

6) Culture here is younger, people are generally nicer than many other companies (where you can see arrogant people sometimes), collaborative, sharing and respectful.

Cons

1) Due to its unique culture you can find yourself be "on your own" many times. You need to be able to survive under this condition.

2) Company tends to grow way too fast, some culture has getting not as good as it used to be.

3) This company does fire people.

4) In some team especially front-end you may find engineering driven less than design driven, also you find yourself very busy in some teams.

10. Recruiting Program Specialist

Current Contractor - Recruiting Program Specialist in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Contractor - Recruiting Program Specialist in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone has heard of the perks that come with working here: free food, casual dress, flexible hours, commuter shuttles, etc. However, what I really really like are the work and the people! The company really puts an emphasis on recruiting people that are amazing to work with and making sure you have everything you need to succeed.

Cons

I have a long commute on the free shuttle

Advice to Management

Keep it going!

A Spectacular Ride

Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook

Pros

- change the world, nudging a billion people at a time
    - working with the best minds around. I graduated at the top of my class, both high school and college...and so did everyone else
    - they take great care of their employees needs
    - a pace of change, despite the company's size, that will blow you away
    - an unlimited set of interesting and challenging technical problems

Cons

- they talk about "work-life blending" instead of balance, but what this means in reality is that work generally dominates your life (along with your newsfeed)
    - a growing focus on financial compensation instead of intrinsic motivators
    - at the pace and scale of the company, an individual's perceived impact is shrinking
    - using user engagement metrics as a poor substitution for user sentiment / satisfaction
    - especially in the last few years, converging with the model of most other major companies

Advice to Management

Focus on the Impact
    Move Fast, Be Bold
    What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Showing 451 of 1,028 reviews