Facebook

Facebook Reviews in San Francisco, CA

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg

Mark Zuckerberg

Pros
  • The best thing about this place is that you have so many smart people around you (in 70 reviews)

• Free food, young and lively coworkers, downtown location (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • Not the most understanding environment when it comes to work/life balance (in 42 reviews)

• Long Hours and some times you cant balance work and your personal life (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights
296 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Used to be a great company

Analyst (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA

Pros- Smart individual contributors
    - The managers who grew organically with the company are pretty good too.
    - Awesome product and impacting 1 billion people.
    - culture used to be good, but deteriorating. have to be careful

Cons- I have noticed we are hiring more and more managers from outside which is bad for morale. In analytics, hiring leaders from outside is a top priority.
    - Many of these newly hired managers are not in sync with our culture. Even if that was not the case, it's still bad for morale.
    - Life work balance is too much skewed towards work.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hire outside managers. Promote from within. I'm giving Mark an "approve" below. He's awesome but he should tell the M-team not to hire outside managers whenever possible.

Drink the koolaid

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA

ProsFacebook is definitely a great place to work. If you're young (or not) and energetic, you can still do big things here. As an engineer, you still have a lot of control over the direction of your product, at least on the teams I've experienced. I think management is pretty good here as well, and you definitely work with really great engineers. The pay is great, the benefits are awesome, you are largely treated well, but this is a company you can definitely bite into too hard and overwork yourself. The place is still a lot more open internally than other corporate machines, less so since going public. Also, you get the sense that Mark has a vision, and really wants to execute on that. Time will tell if the spur of acquisitions lately are worth it, but he definitely has the balls to act on where he thinks the product is moving.

ConsI think it says a lot that I can't think of a lot of cons. AND I'm planning to leave the company this year.

-There are a lot of egos here. Definitely not representative of everyone, but some people slip through the cracks and it can be a drain working with them.
    -The company is starting to feel really big. It's getting harder and harder to do anything very different as you have to convince more and more people that this is a good idea.
    -If you're living in SF, then the location is pretty inconvenient. That and you'll just shove all your free FB swag in a drawer and never look at it again with all the tech protests lately. You can stand out on your team and do a great job at FB, or have a life outside of work. Choose one. I chose the former for too long, and now need to reprioritize.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have been very happy with management at Facebook. Managers have always tried to grow me, my expectations are clear, my efforts are greatly rewarded, and they try to align me with projects where I will shine. I think the important thing, as we grow, is to hold onto some of the old Facebook. "Move Fast, Break Things" well try not to break stuff, but it would be good to keep the cadence up on engineering and the processes that have crept in over the years to a minimum.

The best place to start!

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA

ProsRare engineer-driven culture. Many holidays and PTOs. Easy to switch to new team. So many training opportunities.

ConsYou can have to watch your own personal career path closely. FB managers are young people and not all of them are good at grow people. Some of the managers are great but you need to work on your part hardly.

Advice to Senior ManagementEverything is great. It is a big company now and will become greater and greater. Zuck is the best CEO.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Still a great place to work

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA

ProsEven after 4.5 years, the work is inspiring and the new challenges are exciting. Still the smartest employees in the business with a broad view of the world, which allows the company to serve many different cultures.

ConsMiss the small company atmosphere of knowing everyone and getting down and dirty on multiple projects at once.

Huge impact, fun work and lots of autonomy

Product Manager (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA

ProsFacebook combines the best aspects of working at a large public company (lots of resources and lots of institutional knowledge) and a hot startup (lots of super smart people and tons of autonomy). Going to work is a ton of fun. I look forward to tackling new problems each day.

ConsThe work schedule is pretty intense. Nice thing is that everyone works really hard here. So you don't feel like you're in it on your own. But you definitely have to work pretty hard here.

Great Perks and Great Pay

Technical Project Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsWorking Conditions are great, the perks are also very good.

ConsNo cons, this company was great to work with.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo issues with upper mangement.

Facebook is a great place to work!

User Operations Specialist (Former Employee) Menlo Park, CA

ProsInnovative, hard-working, fast paced, friendly, fun, challenging work environment

ConsDepending on department, there are a lot of cliques. Being close friends with employees in the company is definitely a huge plus to advance in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemain subjective. Put aside friendships when evaluating people.

great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Menlo Park, CA

ProsNo limits to what you can touch and achieve. Your surrounded by smart people.

ConsVery fast paced, have to hustle to do well.

Fantastic place to work

Consultant (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA

ProsIncredibly smart people. Hierarchy agnostic. Ideas bubble up. Best ideas win, but key is to articulate them compellingly. Fantastic benefits.

ConsAs FB grows, so do interdependencies. Key is to maintain scrappy startup feel while scaling up and ensuring coordination and communication.

Advice to Senior ManagementKey is to transition to more mature stage.

product designer

Product Designer (Former Employee) Menlo Park, CA

ProsFlexible hours, free food, young energetic super talented people, fast moving/fast learning environment, compatible salary and perks, relatively flat company hierarchy, overall tech-y design-y open company culture

Consoffice is too cold, with free food everywhere, great sweet shop, it's really really easy to gain weight

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!