Facebook

Updated January 25, 2015
4.4

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg
Mark Zuckerberg

Pros
  • You have occasion to work with super smart people from the industry (in 85 reviews)

• Amazing office culture and community and the free food doesn't hurt (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • Another thing that no one will agree with me on is the work-life balance (in 54 reviews)

• Long hours away from home, due to my own commute situation and long working hours (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

383 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Incredible impact

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook as an intern

Pros

The (numerous) perks aside, Facebook is one of the few places you'll be able to easily make an impact on large amounts of people, no matter your role. Once reviewed, code can make it to the live site by the next week. Everyone has an equal level of access to the entire codebase and can see each others' projects; openness is big within the company.

Cons

When you work alongside so many intelligent people, it's easy to feel like you're not as good as your peers. Having your work have this much impact can be stressful, especially when you break some feature and have to push out a fix. Moving fast is a blessing and a curse.

Great to company to work for

Current Employee - Production Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Production Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get a lot of autonomy and are trusted to make right decision. High performance is expected, but is also recognized and rewarded with promotions/rises.
    Very interesting and diverse technical challenges. If something is broken - you're free to work with other teams on stuff that affects your team.
    No bs attitude and not much of politics happening at the office.

Cons

With all perks you get, some people loose themselves and forget to do their job - that's a quick way to get fired.
    Not a good place if you don't like changes/learning new stuff all the time.

Phenomenal for Those Who Are Driven by the Mission

Current Employee - Director in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Mission driven, entrepreneurial, benefits, high growth, focus more on results, hard-working but supportive in terms of achieving balance, fun environment, jerky behavior not as tolerated as other environments

Cons

chaotic at times, growing pains, hard to keep up, more emphasis on individual contributions than strong management

Empowering, exciting, relaxing and stressful at the same time ;)

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The impact on the world one can have is sometimes hard to fathom.
    Also, most of the employees are just such decent human beings that it really skews the perspective on the world's population.

Cons

As it is probably the case with most US tech companies, people tend to work a lot and it kinda creates stress for ones that want to have a personal life as well.

Figure out the problem of "celebrities" in the management - there are some really bad ones.

Facebook set me up for success

Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Facebook is a top tech company like Google, LinkedIn, Apple and many others. All of these companies offer basically the same thing: great engineers, good money, free food, impacting zillions of people and interesting tech problems. Facebook has a few things that set it apart:

1. Open-ness. Root on every box, access to every source repo. I very rarely had to wait to receive credentials to do anything. At other jobs you're often blocked sitting at your desk for a few days waiting for access to some repository.

2. Control over your career. You don't get hired into a specific team -- you choose it (in recent years they've added a list of teams you can choose from, but there's still a lot of variety). And if you get bored or feel stalled, you're encouraged to switch teams.

I don't think other companies offer those things. The real list of pros is huge, but since they could be applied to other companies I don't include them here.

The only reason I left is because I always wanted to start my own startup. Otherwise I would have stayed forever.

Cons

With everyone switching teams all the time there is often a lot of lost tribal knowledge. So there's parts of the codebase that no one understands anymore.

Since the Great Shift to Mobile there's been a focus on quality at the expense of moving fast. I really liked the Move Fast and Break Things mentality of Facebook when I joined, and though people disagree with me, I prefer it to the "don't ship it until it's perfect" mentality (I think many of the independent Facebook apps waited too long to launch).

Another thing that no one will agree with me on is the work-life balance. I have noticed a trend of people working less, hackathons running during the day, etc. I think your average employee is less driven and moves slower than a few years ago. This used to be a place where people were obsessed with shipping above all else. It isn't that anymore. This is a pro for some people but not for me. I'm giving it a 5 because I think it's good for your life, not because I agree with that balance.

I wish the PR team was more proactive rather than reactive. I understand how press cycles work, but Facebook does try to do the right thing and constantly gets skewered. I think shaking this team up a bit would help.

Enriching experience

Current Employee - Intern - Monthly in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Intern - Monthly in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone is easily approachable, very diverse and open culture, free food and drinks, state of the art technologies to learn from.

Cons

No sleeping or napping pods.

Internship at FB

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Free food
    flexible
    smart people
    good pay
    nothing else

Cons

Busy
    tired
    code is hacky
    can work from home
    food is not good

Awesome

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

1. Great working environment
    2. Free food and frequent offsites

Cons

1. Very steep learning curve

A Management Nightmare

Former Employee - Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Looks great on your resume. Lots of perks (if that's what moves you). Interesting story to tell your friends.

Cons

If you're a manager, this place will drive you nuts. Employees are snarky, entitled, and disrespectful brats. They have no concept of critical thinking or any desire to do real work.

Unlimited sick days in the hands of overpaid children is impossible to manage, my team would somehow always manage to catch a "cold" on Fridays and Mondays. (Interesting that they would Tweet and post about their weekend party binges though.)

While Facebook does a great job recruiting Ivy League talent, I was underwhelmed by the level of intelligence of "Facebookers." They are so busy congratulating themselves on being "awesome" that they never stop to consider they didn't have any real world work experience to back that assertion up. It's really hard to manage and lead people who "know it all."

Kitchy inspirational posters everywhere you look. "Be Bold!" "Dare Greatly!" Yet, I didn't see any substantive work or product coming out of anyone, which makes sense since Facebook really is just a glorified website - users are the product.

Communication is an absolute nightmare. You are forced to "friend" everyone you work with and join an incessant amount of internal group pages where you had to filter through all the BS people would post (memes, YouTube videos, snarky hipster comments…clearly these people didn't have enough work to do) to get to any relevant work related information you needed to know for your job. I actually thought I was going to get dumber working there.

Meetings - the sheer volume was mind bending. None of them critical to doing actual work, more self congratulating on unearned awesomeness. Being social at Facebook was far more important than doing anything meaningful while you were there.

Anyone serious about doing meaningful work need not apply. You'll make it a few months and then quit out of frustration.

Grow up!!! You're not in Zuck's dorm room anymore.

Analyst - Finance

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

-Food
    -Drinks
    -Pizza

I can go on and on..

If you are smart and you think you can improve things..this place is for you.. Doesn't matter if you are a contractor or fulltime.. I was a contractor for over a year..Honestly My team falls in a high-visibility zone due to applications we support.. But if you can make a brand or name for yourself, you got it..

As a contractor, I was counted one amongst fte's.. I never really cared who an FTE was or who contractor was.. I did face some biasness but it was because I was hard on FTE's in other departments to get the work done.. But playing smartly I got things across..

As a contractor I had a say in how we could improve things for our team and yes I managed to get things in there because I was able to demonstrate success through prior work given to me..

I was one of lowest paid contractors per say and handling very menial work yet I was considered a key asset in the team..

Cons

-work-life gets tricky occasionally..
    -I cant say it for all contractors but FTEs should have some drink rounds etc with contractors and appreciate the work.. it will help ppl feel acknowledged and may be you can get more motivated contractors.

- If you think everything is important than you need to sit down and reconsider your goals.

- some managers have no idea of what is important and whats not.

- just because someone can get some work done doesnt mean he/she should do all work..