Facebook

Updated January 28, 2015
4.4

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg
Mark Zuckerberg

Pros
  • You have occasion to work with super smart people from the industry (in 85 reviews)

• Amazing office culture and community and the free food doesn't hurt (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • Another thing that no one will agree with me on is the work-life balance (in 54 reviews)

• Long hours away from home, due to my own commute situation and long working hours (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

389 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Empowering, exciting, relaxing and stressful at the same time ;)

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The impact on the world one can have is sometimes hard to fathom.
    Also, most of the employees are just such decent human beings that it really skews the perspective on the world's population.

Cons

As it is probably the case with most US tech companies, people tend to work a lot and it kinda creates stress for ones that want to have a personal life as well.

Figure out the problem of "celebrities" in the management - there are some really bad ones.

Enriching experience

Current Employee - Intern - Monthly in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Intern - Monthly in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is easily approachable, very diverse and open culture, free food and drinks, state of the art technologies to learn from.

Cons

No sleeping or napping pods.

Internship at FB

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Free food
    flexible
    smart people
    good pay
    nothing else

Cons

Busy
    tired
    code is hacky
    can work from home
    food is not good

Awesome

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

1. Great working environment
    2. Free food and frequent offsites

Cons

1. Very steep learning curve

A Management Nightmare

Former Employee - Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Looks great on your resume. Lots of perks (if that's what moves you). Interesting story to tell your friends.

Cons

If you're a manager, this place will drive you nuts. Employees are snarky, entitled, and disrespectful brats. They have no concept of critical thinking or any desire to do real work.

Unlimited sick days in the hands of overpaid children is impossible to manage, my team would somehow always manage to catch a "cold" on Fridays and Mondays. (Interesting that they would Tweet and post about their weekend party binges though.)

While Facebook does a great job recruiting Ivy League talent, I was underwhelmed by the level of intelligence of "Facebookers." They are so busy congratulating themselves on being "awesome" that they never stop to consider they didn't have any real world work experience to back that assertion up. It's really hard to manage and lead people who "know it all."

Kitchy inspirational posters everywhere you look. "Be Bold!" "Dare Greatly!" Yet, I didn't see any substantive work or product coming out of anyone, which makes sense since Facebook really is just a glorified website - users are the product.

Communication is an absolute nightmare. You are forced to "friend" everyone you work with and join an incessant amount of internal group pages where you had to filter through all the BS people would post (memes, YouTube videos, snarky hipster comments…clearly these people didn't have enough work to do) to get to any relevant work related information you needed to know for your job. I actually thought I was going to get dumber working there.

Meetings - the sheer volume was mind bending. None of them critical to doing actual work, more self congratulating on unearned awesomeness. Being social at Facebook was far more important than doing anything meaningful while you were there.

Anyone serious about doing meaningful work need not apply. You'll make it a few months and then quit out of frustration.

Grow up!!! You're not in Zuck's dorm room anymore.

Analyst - Finance

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

-Food
    -Drinks
    -Pizza

I can go on and on..

If you are smart and you think you can improve things..this place is for you.. Doesn't matter if you are a contractor or fulltime.. I was a contractor for over a year..Honestly My team falls in a high-visibility zone due to applications we support.. But if you can make a brand or name for yourself, you got it..

As a contractor, I was counted one amongst fte's.. I never really cared who an FTE was or who contractor was.. I did face some biasness but it was because I was hard on FTE's in other departments to get the work done.. But playing smartly I got things across..

As a contractor I had a say in how we could improve things for our team and yes I managed to get things in there because I was able to demonstrate success through prior work given to me..

I was one of lowest paid contractors per say and handling very menial work yet I was considered a key asset in the team..

Cons

-work-life gets tricky occasionally..
    -I cant say it for all contractors but FTEs should have some drink rounds etc with contractors and appreciate the work.. it will help ppl feel acknowledged and may be you can get more motivated contractors.

- If you think everything is important than you need to sit down and reconsider your goals.

- some managers have no idea of what is important and whats not.

- just because someone can get some work done doesnt mean he/she should do all work..

An incredible hidden experience

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Perks, culture, values, motivation, determination, people, compensation, arcade, gym, shuttles, free food, just about everything you could think of. They also have unlimited sick days. People really care about your health here.

Cons

No one outside of this company knows how amazing this is. One of the biggest flaws I believe. I try to explain our values to outsiders and they don't believe me. You try to look them up on the internet and you won't find them. It's almost to the point of ridiculousness. I would love for this to be fixed and I sure hope it does!

Don't be afraid to give Facebook a voice of its own. It needs to share the amazing respect and values that it has to achieve its goals.

Awesome place to work.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Amazing experience, good peers and good benefits.

Cons

Cannot think of any real problems with this place.

Immature company

Former Employee - Expense Analyst in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Expense Analyst in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Casual environment, healthy snacks provided, fun campus, pay is great

Cons

Many of the employees are arrogant, which seems to be encouraged by management. There are a complete lack of processes and an attitude of being too cutting edge to create them. They treat contractors like second class citizens. There is definitely a culture of us and them, also people are more than willing to throw others under the bus to look good. It would be a fun job if you're 22, but if you have worked at a company that is established, the immaturity is apparent.

You're still a young company, you're not "too ahead" to set up processes. Need to train employees better, not just sink or swim!!

It was fair - lots of opportunities to learn - few opportunities to work on interesting projects

Former Employee - Product Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (more than a year)

Pros

High compensation, generous time-off. Good food. (the hamburger place is always tasty). The propaganda is usually enticing and the sweet shop keeps you fat.

Cons

Company culture is broken. Office leadership is broken. Work is not challenging or interesting.

Before hiring new employees, please be honest with them about what working at Facebook is truly like and what the projects they will work on are in reality. Don't lie and use your company brand collateral to rope in smart and motivated people to only then suck their souls out of their bodies.