FactSet

Updated October 17, 2014
3.7

FactSet Chairman and CEO Philip A. Hadley
Philip A. Hadley

Pros
  • There is a great work/life balance and there is a general nice feel around the place (in 81 reviews)

• very good work life balance; nice coworkers; no pushing; soft deadline; free lunch (in 106 reviews)

Cons
  • The company seems to balance out the work/life balance very well (in 11 reviews)

• No career path defined and joining diffeent teams is riven with red tape (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A open and friendly place to work that makes the contributions you place feel valued and compensated.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at FactSet

Pros

Benefits, Work Life Balance, and ability to work remotely when taking care of personal issues. The free lunches (mon - thurs), open stocked kitchen is quite an incentive and the ability to charge meals is a good way to keep up morale and improve productivity at a relatively low cost. Above average health care compensation also is strong reason to stay with the firm. FactSet has consistently taken a conservative approach to finance management placing them in a strong position in a tight economy. The sector also helps ensure job security since data and analytics become ever more important during times of extreme market volatility.

Cons

Jobs that are client facing can be tough since some of the people that you might work with are under high pressure and pass that pressure on to you. This might result in working long hours but FactSet provides all the tools to help the clients out while minimizing the burden on you. Management roadmaps aren't always clear and concise or when they are they don't always have status updates communicated downward. Working with older technology or hardware can also be quite frustrating however management seems to understand and are working to eliminate unreliable or outdated technology as budgets and end of life agreements allow.

Remain open, communicate clear and concise plans, regularly update employees of plans, and communicate clearly to all managers expected response and involvement in achieving the high level plans while defining quantitative measures of success.

FactSet is a tremendously well-run business who takes care of hard-working, top performers.

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at FactSet

Pros

FactSet is a hard-working, humble and performance-driven culture. My colleagues are great. I get to travel all over the country and work with leaders in the investment management industry. Benefits are tremendous. Office facilities are top-notch. Work is constantly challenging and rewarding. Our culture is our strongest asset that competitors simply cannot replicate. It starts at the top.

Cons

Consistently long hours. I would like to be paid more. I don't have many negatives to say. Negative reviews would only come from poor performers who don't work hard or disgruntled employees of a company FactSet acquired.

FactSet's senior management has all my confidence. They all carry themselves with humility, confidence and integrity. My advice would be to continue what they've been doing the past 5 years.

Best company to work for!

I have been working at FactSet

Pros

Young atmosphere and a lot of fun to work for.

Cons

I don't really know of any.

Keep up the good work!

great place for juniors

Current Employee - Senior Financial Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at FactSet full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great work place if you are junior and eager to learn Fixed Income valuation and programming, life is easy here

Cons

nothing much to complain really, the menu for snacks and drinks has not been changed for years, also wish the company could open an other branch in LA

A great company to work for and grow with

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at FactSet full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Competitive salary. EXCELLENT benefits package. Very accommodating hours (when appropriate). Many very skilled, intelligent and pleasant co-workers. Heavy emphasis on training and development; if you don't have a skill, but you wish to develop it, you can find resources at FactSet. If you are good at what you do you will succeed here.

Cons

As with any software company, we are often asked to fulfill certain tasks without being given the proper bandwidth and time to complete them at an acceptable level. For instance, while it's nice for developers to be able to take their computers home, the fact is that the laptops given to developers often strain at having developer environments for multiple languages, the compiled versions of our product, Outlook, and two instances of Excel open at once (this is not an unusual combination of programs that need to be open at a given time). Also, there is often a tendency to break away from the stated op plan and go chasing after relatively minor accomplishments. This doesn't strike me as happening much more than it would at another company, though.

Great company with great opportunities for advancement

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at FactSet full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Coworkers, Good Hours, Industry Exposure, Competitive Pay

Cons

Office Maturity, Prestige, Groupthink, Menial work at times

FactSet is in a great position to take market share from their competitors. At a certain point however, engineers and product development need to focus speed and stability over bell and whistles.

Great company, good people, good benefits!

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at FactSet full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great People, good lunch and health benefits.

Cons

Room for advancement can be limited at times.

Great place to launch a career, but long term opportunities here are questionable

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President of Key Accounts in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President of Key Accounts in Chicago, IL

I have been working at FactSet

Pros

On-site exposure to investment management professionals, opportunity to build network of relationships in buyside space, access to resources to learn about finance and financial markets, great training for new employees, benefits are exceptional

Cons

The promotion system is a mystery. At times it seems someone reaches into a bag and draws a name to decide who gets promoted. Some Consultants move up after a year, whereas some have been Consultants for more than three years. Seemingly no pattern to this. Also, a Consultant's skill set surpasses that of management in terms of ability to support clients very quickly. At that point if you don't have a clear vision of where your career is going, and make that known, you will be stuck in one place. You have to be extremely self-motivated to establish a long term career here.

Know our clients. Know our jobs. Ask questions.

Good place to work overall

Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at FactSet

Pros

Great work environment and great benefits

Cons

Once you're in sales you're stuck there

Keep on doing what you do

Best Places to Work, It's true

Current Employee - QA Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - QA Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at FactSet

Pros

Benefits, Free Lunch, Great Stock Purchase Plan

Cons

From a technical perspective they do not follow some of the normal SDLC methodologies

Supplement the growth of the company with improved processes.