FactSet

FactSet Chairman and CEO Philip A. Hadley

Philip A. Hadley

94 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Incredible learning experience!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at FactSet as an intern for less than a year

ProsAmazing, friendly people always willing to help. Learned a lot about corporate work life and company culture. Free lunch was a huge plus!

ConsNone that I know of.

Better management needed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at FactSet full-time for more than 8 years

ProsFree lunch, locality, work, life balance. Summer fun. The volunteer work FDS does. Salary isn't bad. Training is very intense.

ConsManagers play favourites, they promote in length of time, not work ethic. There are many micro managers. There are employees there that do nothing all day

Advice to Senior ManagementWeed out bad managers

Good place for preparing an interview for top tech companies

Software Engineer I (Current Employee)

I have been working at FactSet full-time for more than a year

Pros- Work and life balanced, Laid back
- Free snack and beverage

Cons- Nothing to add to your resume after even one year.
- Nothing to learn, because most techs that are used in this company are out of date. You have to get used to the old system.
- If Green Card is critical to you, don't think about this company. After three years?? NO GUARANTEE!!
- No bonus, and stock option. Satisfied with your salary if you are a software engineer not senior.
- Don't imagine that you would get good review from your manager for first three years. Even if you do your best, they don't care. It will depend on your manager, but it is hard to find a good manager in this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about how to make people not leave this company. Stop talking about the best working place ranking.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

FactSet is a great place to feel respected!

Recruiter (Current Employee)

I have been working at FactSet full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat atmosphere, great people, free lunch, flexible, given a ton of responsibility and trust by upper management

ConsFree food is too tempting!

A good place to work, but need to beef up its appeal

Lead Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at FactSet full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWork life balance. Friendly people. Ample physical cube/office space.

ConsCompensation could be more competitive, and tilted more to reward performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to create an environment that appeals to ambitious and aspiring technologist -- be it more drastic higher pay for high performance , more freedom in adventuring new technology, or other means.

As a tech company, it got to strive hard to avoid becoming appealing to the mediocre B-performers but boring the A-performers.

Great company to start career

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

Proswork life balance
opportunities to learn on both development level and product level

Consrelatively slow on technology updates

FactSet is a great place to work

Lead Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at FactSet full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFactSet compensates very well, especially those who exceed expectations.

Many of the other benefits are also very nice.
- Employees start with 3 weeks' paid vacation.
- Monday-Thursday you get a subsidy for the cafeteria that is enough to cover lunch.
- Parents of newborns enjoy paid maternity/paternity leave.

The projects are interesting and challenging. FactSet is very goal-oriented, so others are motivated as much as you are.

The culture is healthy, and goals tend to be aligned from team to team.

ConsFactSet has made some business decisions over the years that have put it in the position of needing to hire more engineers than it can.
- What FactSet was doing 20 years ago was state-of-the-art. The environment that we operate in today is archaic. Engineers have to put a lot of effort in to simply maintain what we have. They also will not typically get experience in what is the industry standard.
- We can't simply switch to what is state-of-the-art today because FactSet's clients do not like change. Over the years, bugs have become features. It is extremely difficult to make major infrastructure improvements, even if that means we fix bugs in the meantime.

Work-life balance is good, but more can be done to improve it.
- Many engineers have on-call responsibilities. Senior management and people in other departments do not appreciate how difficult it can be to work all night and then have to work all day.
- Having been at FactSet many years, I have seen perks diminish and go away entirely. I suppose these are natural growing pains, but I wanted to list these things anyway.
  - Home internet reimbursement for people with on-call responsibilities.
  - The ability to invite a date / spouse to the holiday party.
  - A summer picnic.
  - Lunch on Fridays.
  - The lunch subsidy is not increased for inflation.
  - Tuition reimbursement. (Used to be 100%. It went away entirely, then came back capped at what FactSet can deduct.)

These complaints are far outweighed by the positive side of working at FactSet. Overall, I am a happy employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow engineering to fix old bugs or make minor behavior changes to upgrade the infrastructure, even if clients push back. In the long run it will make the software easier and cheaper to maintain. The long-term benefits will far outweigh the short-term loss of some revenues.

Public recognition and compensation for those with on-call responsibilities.

Bring back some of the things that made FactSet an even better place to work 10 years ago.

Great start to a career, but the company is going through growing pains

Software Engineer II (Current Employee)

Pros+ Pay is great
+ Benefits are top notch
+ Many projects can be interesting
+ OK work/life balance, but there may be times when you will have to pull all nighters
+ Could be on-call, which is always a bummer

Cons+ Upper management can't get their QA strategy correct
+ Timelines are arbitrary and poorly thought out
+ Some managers shouldn't really be managers

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company needs more QA state-side.

Great company to start off and to gain a lot of knowledge

Software Engineering Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at FactSet as an intern for less than a year

ProsAs an intern, I was given a self-contained project that I worked on along with a team that worked in the related area. I had a manager throughout the whole process to whom I would report to and bounce ideas off. Although he was my 'manager', he seemed more like a friend and everyone there regardless of how higher up your position was seemed friendly and really vested in your development.
The company really cares about its employees: there is always a stocked kitchen full of snacks and lunch is free Monday to Thursday and free bagels on Friday
There were a decent number of lunches and events set for the interns such as going to Six Flags
The interns lived right next to the office and it was great just being able to wake up quickly and walking over to the office
The general atmosphere of the workplace was a jovial and friendly; the people definitely made this company a great place to work!
The work/life balance is excellent and people would come in around 9 and leave at 5. There was definitely not a culture of staying in the office very late at all !

ConsIts databases are slightly outdated but they are transitioning quickly and most of the technologies that I worked with were all cutting edge
The salary might be a little lower than other companies in the same area but its benefits and work/life balance make up for this lower payment in many ways.

Advice to Senior ManagementDoing a great job but I just feel that FactSet could be a little more ambitious than it is currently.

I love FactSet!

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at FactSet full-time for more than 5 years

Proswork & life balance, interesting projects

Conscan't think of any right now

Worked for FactSet? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at FactSet reviews and ratings in Connecticut — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for FactSet CEO Philip A. Hadley. All 94 reviews posted anonymously by FactSet employees.