FactSet Reviews in New York City, NY

Updated October 15, 2014
3.7

FactSet Chairman and CEO Philip A. Hadley
Philip A. Hadley

Pros
  • Perfect work-life balance for example you will get mentor when you are on boarding (in 75 reviews)

• very good work life balance; nice coworkers; no pushing; soft deadline; free lunch (in 106 reviews)

Cons
  • The company seems to balance out the work/life balance very well (in 11 reviews)

• No career path defined and joining diffeent teams is riven with red tape (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

77 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

consultant

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at FactSet full-time (less than an year)

Pros

great company to work for

Cons

growing company, no longer a start-up mentality

Choose your team carefully; you're individual experiences will vary. Value experience over young.

Former Employee - Software Engineer I in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer I in New York, NY

I worked at FactSet full-time (more than an year)

Pros

FacSet is full of bright young, and somewhat upbeat recent college grads who are eager to learn and investigate new technology. Your experience here will be heavily dependant on your team and your manager and not the company as a whole. Some of the great things about FactSet include:

-loads of new things to learn
    -Loads of Modern Front End Technologies
    -Work with multiple languages (Java, C#, python etc etc.. we use all of them in someway)
    -Resume becomes extremely marketable very quickly (Thomson Reuters and Bloomberg will bombast your linkedin accounts)

Cons

-Inexperienced developers (Start an application from scratch with mostly recent grads, and no one on the team had serious experience working with any of the tools before starting the project)
    -Heavy handed with H1B visas (Team of 8 people, 12 of them including both managers are H1B visa holders)
    -Inexperienced managers. (Poor people skills, very unsympathetic, F.O.B. level foreign)
    -Too much bureaucracy (I need to go through 6-7 different processes and involve 10-12 people on the team in order to submit a bug fix or new
    -OLD ARCHAIC BACKEND, we have to write C++ code to compile with limited debugger and development tools on a OpenVMS cluster. HP is about to discontinue this server technology.
    -Nothing is documented. Not even 20 year old server technology that we invented.
    -difficult to relate to product (How sexy does "Financial Reporting/Analytic tools" sound to someone on a date?)
    -too "corporate" in the NY office. No one is upbeat or energetic and when you try to spread that enthusiasm you are met with a wall. (I guess that's a introverted engineer thing)

-HIRE MORE EXPERIENCED DEVELOPERS
    -HIRE FEWER H1Bs
    -MANAGERS SHOULD HAVE MORE THAN JUST A YEAR OF EXPERIENCE AT THE COMPANY
    -Allow members to change teams faster than 18 months. That's just a way to lose a skilled developer to a competitor.
    -FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP DEVELOPING ON VMS WE ARE STILL DOING NEW DEVELOPMENT WORK ON IT AS OF 09/08/2014.THROW THE TERRIBLE SERVERS OUT THE WINDOW! ITS A GOD DAMN NIGHTMARE FOR ANYONE TO WORK WITH. 30 STEPS TO RUN A PREBUILD. WHAT IS THIS CRAP!
    -Marquee cannot be an all in one software stop trying.
    - Again, HIRE MORE EXPERIENCED DEVELOPERS.

Good days and bad

I have been working at FactSet full-time

Pros

Good pay, upward mobility, supporting leadership, flexible

Cons

Hard to grow technically, ugly legacy codebase, centralized knowledge, hard to be proud of your code

Help employees grow technically, provide more training, guidance, use best engineers to teach, reduce pressure to deliver new products while maintaining old product, strategize for employee retention and software scalability, not just current client retention

Smart, nimble company with excellent corporate culture.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at FactSet full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very smart people building world class products. They are very employee-centric and invest a lot of time and money into employee development. I worked there for 5 years and always felt proud to call myself a FactSetter.

Cons

As with many small companies that are selective with their hiring to protect the corporate culture, once they start to grow and get bigger there is risk that the corporate culture changes or is diluted and also that with expansion comes execution and integration challenges from acquisitions, etc. There was a bit of that towards the end of my time at FactSet and from what I hear it continued for a bit. Although now things appear to be stabilized.

At the time I was there, there was not a clearly defined career path for most positions. They did not have even any titles that could be given as a sign of progress or promotion. This was a problem for many employees.

Invest more time and thought into growth of employees, titles and job promotions.

Great overall experience

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at FactSet full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Several career options. Guidance along the way.

Cons

It can be political and very high school like at times.

Rewarding work, too much politics

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at FactSet full-time

Pros

Good work / life balance, internal training opportunities. Company has a fairly flat structure, so opportunities for advancement are somewhat limited. Smart growth strategies are paying off.

Cons

Compensation is probably less than industry average. Need to better incentivize highly productive workers. Company has followed industry trend of offshoring many operational functions.

Need to better incentivize highly productive workers.

Good place to gain experience and start your career.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at FactSet full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good work-life balance, most people leave by 6:30

Cons

Career advancement tappers off once you reach a certain level.

Be more transparent with employees

Unbelievably dead work environment.

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in New York, NY

I have been working at FactSet full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Low pressure environment that lets you work 9 to 5 if that's your only priority

Cons

Unbelievably dead environment, low morale, no dynamism, high turnover, very distributed globally so 99% of interaction is by IM email etc

Great work life balance but poor management

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at FactSet full-time (more than an year)

Pros

very laid back work style, free lunch perks

Cons

compensation is comparatively low to other major competitors

Overall great place to work

Current Employee - Institutional Salesperson in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Institutional Salesperson in New York, NY

I have been working at FactSet full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good work life balance, acceptable pay, good benefits and perks. Great coworkers at all levels. Fun and energetic work environment. Offers incentives to take the CFA and pays for all expenses.

Cons

In a transition period, lots of reshuffling. Unorganized management. Management priorities can be a little off at times.

Develop a business plan before rolling out pieces of plans and creating confused/frustrated employees.