FactSet Reviews

Updated October 22, 2014
3.7

FactSet Chairman and CEO Philip A. Hadley
Philip A. Hadley

Pros
  • Perfect work-life balance for example you will get mentor when you are on boarding (in 77 reviews)

• very good work life balance; nice coworkers; no pushing; soft deadline; free lunch (in 106 reviews)

Cons
  • The company seems to balance out the work/life balance very well (in 11 reviews)

• No career path defined and joining diffeent teams is riven with red tape (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Software Developer 2

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in New York, NY

I have been working at FactSet full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazing work life balance

Cons

Legacy tools are going to become a huge problem over the next few years - management tends to ignore these issues
    Some teams are amazing to work on while others can be terrible

Management does not typically pay attention to the experience of their subordinates

Systems Engineer

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Norwalk, CT
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at FactSet full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Love to promote from within. Systems is respected but not compensated as well as software.
    Great work life balance. Good benes for single worker or 1 working parent in family.
    Like to make our own vs buying software from external.

Cons

Glass cielings are evident in systems.

Fantastic Work-Life Balance

Current Employee - Engineer in Norwalk, CT
    Current Employee - Engineer in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at FactSet full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great environment, sweet benefits, and enjoyable work. Everyone has a lot of respect for work-life balance and the company tries hard to make the happiest employees they can. Lots of room for upward growth; almost everyone upper management started out as an engineer or other entry level position. FactSet wants you to stay for a long time.

Cons

Depending on what you do, you are likely going to be exposed to a lot of business/finance world. If you don't have any interest in that field, you may get a little bored.

Keep doing what you're doing. The perks are great, keep them up!

great place for juniors

Current Employee - Senior Financial Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at FactSet full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great work place if you are junior and eager to learn Fixed Income valuation and programming, life is easy here

Cons

nothing much to complain really, the menu for snacks and drinks has not been changed for years, also wish the company could open an other branch in LA

consultant

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at FactSet full-time (less than an year)

Pros

great company to work for

Cons

growing company, no longer a start-up mentality

Sales Specialist

I have been working at FactSet full-time

Pros

Great work environment, good work-life balance, decent pay, free lunches monday - thursday, casual fridays

Cons

The one con I would have is the current compensation structure. It is not very clear on what you will make during each pay period.

Take some time to review comp structure.

Choose your team carefully; you're individual experiences will vary. Value experience over young.

Former Employee - Software Engineer I in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer I in New York, NY

I worked at FactSet full-time (more than an year)

Pros

FacSet is full of bright young, and somewhat upbeat recent college grads who are eager to learn and investigate new technology. Your experience here will be heavily dependant on your team and your manager and not the company as a whole. Some of the great things about FactSet include:

-loads of new things to learn
    -Loads of Modern Front End Technologies
    -Work with multiple languages (Java, C#, python etc etc.. we use all of them in someway)
    -Resume becomes extremely marketable very quickly (Thomson Reuters and Bloomberg will bombast your linkedin accounts)

Cons

-Inexperienced developers (Start an application from scratch with mostly recent grads, and no one on the team had serious experience working with any of the tools before starting the project)
    -Heavy handed with H1B visas (Team of 8 people, 12 of them including both managers are H1B visa holders)
    -Inexperienced managers. (Poor people skills, very unsympathetic, F.O.B. level foreign)
    -Too much bureaucracy (I need to go through 6-7 different processes and involve 10-12 people on the team in order to submit a bug fix or new
    -OLD ARCHAIC BACKEND, we have to write C++ code to compile with limited debugger and development tools on a OpenVMS cluster. HP is about to discontinue this server technology.
    -Nothing is documented. Not even 20 year old server technology that we invented.
    -difficult to relate to product (How sexy does "Financial Reporting/Analytic tools" sound to someone on a date?)
    -too "corporate" in the NY office. No one is upbeat or energetic and when you try to spread that enthusiasm you are met with a wall. (I guess that's a introverted engineer thing)

-HIRE MORE EXPERIENCED DEVELOPERS
    -HIRE FEWER H1Bs
    -MANAGERS SHOULD HAVE MORE THAN JUST A YEAR OF EXPERIENCE AT THE COMPANY
    -Allow members to change teams faster than 18 months. That's just a way to lose a skilled developer to a competitor.
    -FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP DEVELOPING ON VMS WE ARE STILL DOING NEW DEVELOPMENT WORK ON IT AS OF 09/08/2014.THROW THE TERRIBLE SERVERS OUT THE WINDOW! ITS A GOD DAMN NIGHTMARE FOR ANYONE TO WORK WITH. 30 STEPS TO RUN A PREBUILD. WHAT IS THIS CRAP!
    -Marquee cannot be an all in one software stop trying.
    - Again, HIRE MORE EXPERIENCED DEVELOPERS.

Good days and bad

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at FactSet full-time

Pros

Good pay, upward mobility, supporting leadership, flexible

Cons

Hard to grow technically, ugly legacy codebase, centralized knowledge, hard to be proud of your code

Help employees grow technically, provide more training, guidance, use best engineers to teach, reduce pressure to deliver new products while maintaining old product, strategize for employee retention and software scalability, not just current client retention

Smart, nimble company with excellent corporate culture.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at FactSet full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very smart people building world class products. They are very employee-centric and invest a lot of time and money into employee development. I worked there for 5 years and always felt proud to call myself a FactSetter.

Cons

As with many small companies that are selective with their hiring to protect the corporate culture, once they start to grow and get bigger there is risk that the corporate culture changes or is diluted and also that with expansion comes execution and integration challenges from acquisitions, etc. There was a bit of that towards the end of my time at FactSet and from what I hear it continued for a bit. Although now things appear to be stabilized.

At the time I was there, there was not a clearly defined career path for most positions. They did not have even any titles that could be given as a sign of progress or promotion. This was a problem for many employees.

Invest more time and thought into growth of employees, titles and job promotions.

Software engineer

I worked at FactSet

Pros

Work life balance in the company

Cons

There are no opportunities for location change