FactSet

www.factset.com

FactSet Reviews

Pros
  • Perfect work-life balance for example you will get mentor when you are on boarding (in 66 reviews)

• very good work life balance; nice coworkers; no pushing; soft deadline; free lunch (in 97 reviews)

Cons
  • The company seems to balance out the work/life balance very well (in 11 reviews)

• No career path defined and joining diffeent teams is riven with red tape (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to get your foot in the door, but don't be fooled -- there is life after FactSet!

Consultant (Former Employee) Norwalk, CT

ProsGreat benefits package and perks, such as free lunch M-Th, free beverages and snacks all day. They also provide top of the line laptops to every employee and workstation supplies which come in handy when you are sitting at your desk all day. If you are just out of college and working as a Consultant the work environment is young so many people tend to like that. FactSet also has a great 5 week training program to get new employees up to speed on the software and culture at the company

ConsVery long hours, nasty salespeople that never say thank you for the hard work you put in, but are happy to take credit for said work in front of management and clients. Lots of inter-office politics (although it is a corporate environment so that's not surprising) and managers who shouldn't be managers. There is also this attitude held by many senior Consultants that they shouldn't have to help you (being the new guy) because no one helped them back in the day. It leaves a very bad taste in your mouth. They also coach young employees who have never worked at another company that there is no life after

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so close-minded to change.

After a year of hard work - little to show in salary - all of it was put into a "bonus"

Product Developer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThey are willing to train you in an area you have little experience with. No one else would do that. However a major reason is they can have you work cheaper than a more experienced person.

ConsAfter a year of hard work I got a very nice bonus, but no salary increase. I was told it's the economy. If they really valued me, give me some salary increase and some bonus. It would work out to the same this year. In 2010 when the economy is better is the only time they would see this increase. It tells me they only care about me for the short term.

Advice to Senior ManagementMeet with regular employees in NY, not in Norwalk. Get to know them..

Factset is a premier place to work at

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Norwalk, CT

ProsFactset has got to be one of the most giving companies to its employees. Free lunch, fruit, snacks, drinks; literally anything you could ask for. You have dual monitors to be more productive, very nice chairs and the quality of work is pretty fun.

ConsYou have to work pretty hard; long hours and work/life balance is not the easiest to pull off. But, if you like what you do, it is actually not bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management has actually weathered the financial crisis with great vision, and I am very impressed with the c-level officers/presidents of our company. We are growing, despite being in a treacherous market for our customer base. That is amazing.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsFree food. Great people. Challenging work. Cool offices. Forefront of technology. Direct contact with leading financial pro.'s. Free drinks. Free snacks.

ConsNo beer in the fridge. Too many men.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood recent acquisitions. A single, universal platform would be better to market, as opposed to juggling user specific platforms. Streamline development and support - bring resources together as opposed to allocating them across platforms. There are some very smart people at this firm.

Very young company, Average age 25 so many children employed.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Norwalk, CT

ProsBenefits are above average and exceptional.

ConsPolitical and promotions based more on popularity than work achieved.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromotions to management positions are given due to longevity at company as opposed to competency.

Experience can vary greatly based on group/management

Software Engineer III (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsHuge attention to work life balance. Everyone gets a laptop for maximum flexibility. Benefits are very good. Work can be pretty interesting, and there are opportunities for contributions outside your core competency if you seek them out, which also keeps things interesting.

ConsIndividual experience can vary widely based on manager. Some managers work hard to help reports succeed, exposing achievements to upper level management and providing opportunities for growth and technical challenges, with proper feedback along the way. Others not so much, which can be extremely frustrating if you'd like to get on the "fast track."

Advice to Senior ManagementWork harder to make opportunities more universally known and available. Screen managers more carefully and provide better training so that they'll be better equipped to grow their reports professionally within the organization.

Good Place To Work

Consultant (Current Employee) Norwalk, CT

ProsThe Benefits are very good.

ConsNorwalk is not the greatest location.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening to those under you.

Great place to work, great place to grow

Engineer (Current Employee) Norwalk, CT

ProsAt FactSet you've got great coworkers, people who love what they do and are super smart. Many people join FactSet right out of college and have spent their entire careers here, so there is a deep understanding of technology, our products and our customers. We are always learning something new and get to work on great projects. The technology we are exposed to is cutting edge and there are so many opportunities to learn and apply new skills. There are also many different internal opportunties if you want a change of pace. People take pride in their work and are dedicated to making our clients happy.

ConsNot much. Some office locations are hard to get to if you want to take public transport. Offices are located in financial districts which leads to expensive housing.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep FactSet true to its culture, don't get distracted in these turbulent market conditions trying to chase the next big thing.

I mostly like it.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Norwalk, CT

ProsIt has some of the advantages of a big company and a little company rolled up together. There's a lot of room for people to work on new projects and products, but you have the resources and perks of a larger company.

ConsLots of information seems to get lost. You need to track everything to really know what's going on throughout the company. There's very little internal documentation, and what does exist is out of date. It's clear what you're rated on as far as promotions go, but there's less transparency about other aspects.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould come up with a better way to ensure different groups don't step on each others' toes, but still get work done without being bogged down by process.

Good company.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Norwalk, CT

ProsGrowing company even in tough times. Accessible leadership. Good compensation and benefits packages.

ConsFast growth = young leaders without much experience and lack of formal mentoring and leadership development programs leave many new managers fending for themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood work situating the company poised to take advantage of market opportunities.

Worked for FactSet? Contribute to the Community!