FactSet Reviews

526 reviews filtered by

1. consultant

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at FactSet full-time (less than a year)

Pros

great company to work for

Cons

growing company, no longer a start-up mentality

2. Sales Specialist

I have been working at FactSet full-time

Pros

Great work environment, good work-life balance, decent pay, free lunches monday - thursday, casual fridays

Cons

The one con I would have is the current compensation structure. It is not very clear on what you will make during each pay period.

Take some time to review comp structure.

Choose your team carefully; you're individual experiences will vary. Value experience over young.

Former Employee - Software Engineer I in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer I in New York, NY

I worked at FactSet full-time (more than a year)

Pros

FacSet is full of bright young, and somewhat upbeat recent college grads who are eager to learn and investigate new technology. Your experience here will be heavily dependant on your team and your manager and not the company as a whole. Some of the great things about FactSet include:

-loads of new things to learn
    -Loads of Modern Front End Technologies
    -Work with multiple languages (Java, C#, python etc etc.. we use all of them in someway)
    -Resume becomes extremely marketable very quickly (Thomson Reuters and Bloomberg will bombast your linkedin accounts)

Cons

-Inexperienced developers (Start an application from scratch with mostly recent grads, and no one on the team had serious experience working with any of the tools before starting the project)
    -Heavy handed with H1B visas (Team of 8 people, 12 of them including both managers are H1B visa holders)
    -Inexperienced managers. (Poor people skills, very unsympathetic, F.O.B. level foreign)
    -Too much bureaucracy (I need to go through 6-7 different processes and involve 10-12 people on the team in order to submit a bug fix or new
    -OLD ARCHAIC BACKEND, we have to write C++ code to compile with limited debugger and development tools on a OpenVMS cluster. HP is about to discontinue this server technology.
    -Nothing is documented. Not even 20 year old server technology that we invented.
    -difficult to relate to product (How sexy does "Financial Reporting/Analytic tools" sound to someone on a date?)
    -too "corporate" in the NY office. No one is upbeat or energetic and when you try to spread that enthusiasm you are met with a wall. (I guess that's a introverted engineer thing)

-HIRE MORE EXPERIENCED DEVELOPERS
    -HIRE FEWER H1Bs
    -MANAGERS SHOULD HAVE MORE THAN JUST A YEAR OF EXPERIENCE AT THE COMPANY
    -Allow members to change teams faster than 18 months. That's just a way to lose a skilled developer to a competitor.
    -FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP DEVELOPING ON VMS WE ARE STILL DOING NEW DEVELOPMENT WORK ON IT AS OF 09/08/2014.THROW THE TERRIBLE SERVERS OUT THE WINDOW! ITS A GOD DAMN NIGHTMARE FOR ANYONE TO WORK WITH. 30 STEPS TO RUN A PREBUILD. WHAT IS THIS CRAP!
    -Marquee cannot be an all in one software stop trying.
    - Again, HIRE MORE EXPERIENCED DEVELOPERS.

5. Good days and bad

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at FactSet full-time

Pros

Good pay, upward mobility, supporting leadership, flexible

Cons

Hard to grow technically, ugly legacy codebase, centralized knowledge, hard to be proud of your code

Help employees grow technically, provide more training, guidance, use best engineers to teach, reduce pressure to deliver new products while maintaining old product, strategize for employee retention and software scalability, not just current client retention

Software engineer

I worked at FactSet

Pros

Work life balance in the company

Cons

There are no opportunities for location change

Smart, nimble company with excellent corporate culture.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at FactSet full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very smart people building world class products. They are very employee-centric and invest a lot of time and money into employee development. I worked there for 5 years and always felt proud to call myself a FactSetter.

Cons

As with many small companies that are selective with their hiring to protect the corporate culture, once they start to grow and get bigger there is risk that the corporate culture changes or is diluted and also that with expansion comes execution and integration challenges from acquisitions, etc. There was a bit of that towards the end of my time at FactSet and from what I hear it continued for a bit. Although now things appear to be stabilized.

At the time I was there, there was not a clearly defined career path for most positions. They did not have even any titles that could be given as a sign of progress or promotion. This was a problem for many employees.

Invest more time and thought into growth of employees, titles and job promotions.

8. Good company to work for.

I have been working at FactSet (more than 8 years)

Pros

Free lunches, laid back atmosphere, surrounded by really smart and motivated people. FactSet is a great company for new graduates and experienced professionals alike.

Cons

FactSet is an engineering company with content, sales and development adjuncts. As such, these other areas are de-emphasized. At times project management and application development can become overly bureaucratized. Overall, it is still a great place to work.

Flexible, good starting place.

Current Employee - Research Specialist in Norwalk, CT
    Current Employee - Research Specialist in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at FactSet full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible work hours, great culture and people. Free lunch! Good benefits. Easy going culture.

Cons

Lower pay than competitive companies. Freedom and flexibility at times leads to lack of structure.

Has been a great company but new management has different values

Current Employee - Vice President
    Current Employee - Vice President

I have been working at FactSet full-time

Pros

Great benefits, develop a great network in the financial community, given a lot of responsibility early in career, community service, free lunch

Cons

Change in leadership, lack of loyalty, below average compensation, constantly reorganizing departments, tons of internal politics, much of the office space is outdated

Stop the constant reorganization and promotions based on politics. Get back to the values that have made the company great in the past

11. Best company , Great people great culture

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Norwalk, CT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at FactSet full-time (more than a year)

Pros

People , everybody is really friendly. Lots of team outings and social gatherings.

Cons

Great company to work for , love to have Table tennis .