FactSet Reviews

FactSet Chairman and CEO Philip A. Hadley
Philip A. Hadley

1. perfect place to start with

Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at FactSet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

flexible working hours, friendly team, free lunch four days a week, health insurance, etc

Cons

legacy code with lots of dependencies that you can't just delete and rewrite. but things are changing bit by bit.

Advice to Management

let people know more about each team before rushing into team allocation

Good at first - beware of the long-term

I have been working at FactSet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay: The pay, at first, when I joined FactSet was generous as a graduate.

People: The people on your level are the ones that make FactSet a great place to work. I can honestly say that in the time I have had here, it has been an excellent experience and I have never had tension with any of my co-workers. Many of whom, have become friends.

Environment: As a Software Engineer you are not client facing so are able to feel comfortable in your working environment to get coding done. People are able to talk to one another and share ideas and have general discussions.

Technologies: FactSet, fundamentally built a lot of the tools creating in-house propriety technologies, however that is slowly changing and transitional tools and skills are being brought into the company.

Career: If you wish to have job security and a guarantee that you will be rewarded for loyalty - FactSet is ideal. Those who have been at the company a long time and moved into management are rather happy with their roles. I am unable to predict the future, but modern technologies are now being introduced to FactSet which may mean newer engineers have better opportunities.

Cons

Pay: After realisation of the competitiveness in other companies, I realised pay here is definitely not matching software companies in London. As years went by, I realised that people in other companies were receiving bonuses and also larger pay rises which made me sceptical of the salaries here for Software Engineers. Alongside that fact, in company wide meetings we were all told that Sales would receive a "Chairman's Club", which meant they would have luxurious settings in Europe, US etc for meetings when they met their targets - meaning Software Engineers were angered and frustrated by this.

People: Regarding the management, it seems managers are not assessed, they are given the role of manager when they have been here for some time rather than actually accessing their skills. I think a real interview process is necessary when deciding who should become a manager - not word of mouth or "You have been here some time and proven you're a good Software Engineer", leading code and people are two different things.

Environment: The company promotes a start-up culture but that is beginning to fade as policies are being put in place that is beginning to remove this kind of culture.

Technologies: As a Software Engineer that had been in the company for many years, newer, transitional, technologies are now being brought into the company which I do not have much experience with - meaning when looking for new career choices in Software Engineering they are limited due to the older legacy technologies where most of the time was spent when coding.

Career: Motivation is key, unless you are self-motivated, work can become mundane. At times exciting projects arise but if you demonstrate that you are a trustworthy employee, the company will rely on you to do tasks that are irrelevant to your personal goals and achievements you wish to reach.

Advice to Management

Assess Management - Interview processes are necessary when choosing potential managers.

CFA certification is relevant to consultants - Look at giving Software Engineers specific certifications for the technologies they work with; recognition.

See problems, solve them. Some deep-laying issues go unrecognised until the problem becomes too large to deal with. Try to see this and keep in touch with employees.

Keep your word. When informing employees of opportunities they will receive and be able to excel in, ensure that it surfaces and doesn't fade due to external factors.

3. Good Young Culture

Current Employee - Investment Management Consultant
    Current Employee - Investment Management Consultant

I have been working at FactSet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Responsibility to get on with your own work
    - Smart young workforce with strong teamwork
    - Opportunities to travel to work with clients
    - Very good place to start a career

Cons

- The young culture can sometimes be too relaxed
    - No bonus comp scheme for Consultants
    - Sometimes people recognised for the wrong things
    - Unclear about the long term prospects after you get to Institutional Sales level

5. A great company to start your career with

I have been working at FactSet full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's fairly easy to get a job at FDS
    Free lunch
    Great life/work balance

Cons

long working hours (8:30-5:30)
    Factset does not tend employ experienced individuals, entry level positions only

Advice to Management

consider employing more experienced people,
    consider using employment agencies to get better candidates

6. Corporate environment with a startup-like feeling

Former Employee - Software Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in London, England (UK)

I worked at FactSet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of freedom. Free lunch, coffee, snacks and drinks. Social events. Good work environment.

Cons

Lots of proprietary, non-free software make it a challenge for newcomers. Lots of old, dated, proprietary code that's difficult to maintain.

Advice to Management

Rethink the technologies and libraries being used on the technical side, specially in some teams.

7. A very cool place to work at, even though you don't get much appreciation from management.

I have been working at FactSet full-time

Pros

Not too much pressure, work-life balance is good.

Cons

Not many ways to grow up in the company.

Advice to Management

Share more information on a daily basis, show your appreciation, rank up employees accordingly

Good place to work.

Current Employee - Associate Content Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Associate Content Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at FactSet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is a great work/life balance and there is a general nice feel around the place. There is not too much pressure applied and the compensation is OK.

Cons

Career Opportunities can be limited and it feels as though there is not a complete meritocracy in place, and people who have been here longer, get the promotions.

Advice to Management

Explain more about how compensation works, and try to make people feel more valued.

9. Software Engineer

I have been working at FactSet full-time

Pros

culture, people, free lunch, work life balance

Cons

old and out-dated technologies, a lot of meetings

10. interview

I have been working at FactSet

Pros

those interviewers are very friendly

Cons

not quite like the office culture

11. Great!

I have been working at FactSet full-time

Pros

Excellent training and great colleagues. Given early responsibility.

Cons

Depending on career aspirations there might be more of less opportunities.