Factory Design Labs

Factory Design Labs Reviews in Denver, CO

3.8

Scott Mellin

24 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Outstanding culture and overall a good place to work

Former Employee - Senior Staff Accountant in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Staff Accountant in Denver, CO

I worked at Factory Design Labs full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture. Fun and entertaining. I didn't appreciate that at the time but the company really handled the lost of clients in a great manner. They tried to take care of employees that had lost their jobs and overall were pretty well run. Great at change management. Cutting edge technology at every level. Great learning opportunities. You get to be involved in many aspects of the company and wear multiple hats. Management listens to your ideas.

Cons

Some people took themselves too seriously. Some desk squatters that sit at their desk all night just cause they think it makes them look good. Quite a bit of favoritism. Better employees have been constantly passed on or even fired for less capable employees. Lost some really really good people because of political reasons.

Keep the great culture. Thanks for the great experience.

Worst place I've ever worked!

Former Employee - Creative Director in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Creative Director in Denver, CO

I worked at Factory Design Labs full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice lower level talent.

Cons

Worst, fear driven environment I've ever experienced. Design driven, not idea driven. Total lack of leadership. No advertising experience. From the CEO to account to creative. The blind leading the blind. The clueless chairman and board is so snowed and intimidated by the CEO, they let him run that company into the ground.

Get a real CEO that wants to work and make a great company out of what is now a sinking ship.

It started with a lie

Former Employee - Product Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Factory Design Labs full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great location and paid parking. Workspace is modern and affable. Excellent music. Account management is strong for a digital ad agency.

Cons

- Took the position because I was told a major client was signed - this was not true
    - Losing this client resulted in major layoffs, but the details we poorly handled
    - This pattern of client loss has persisted since
    - Communication from Sr Management is untrustworthy
    - Lost a lot of solid technical talent
    - At this time the agency appears rudderless, not learning from the past

Adapt to the new world.

Quality Establishment

Former Employee - Art Director in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Art Director in Denver, CO

I worked at Factory Design Labs full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Amazing talent, global clients, freedom of expression, culture of creativity...

Cons

Risky business. They hire on large amounts of accounts and creatives with intentions of holding on to and/or expanding their client roster, but if one leaves (like one did while I was employed), you're gone. They love the layoffs, so be prepared.

Realize the talent you have under the roof and don't loose them to a bad business model.

No staff loyalty, unstable company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Factory Design Labs full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Sports brands to work on, fun atmosphere, fast moving environment, young agency with a lot of energy and passion.

Cons

Although successful in the past, this is now a very unstable agency - staff hired and disappear within months. Staff putting in extremely long hours and promised things that don't end up happening. CEO is out for himself. Staff are fearful for their jobs. Old style advertising model.

HR should stop posting fake positive reviews on Glassdoor (scroll down to consecutive, excessively positive reviews Dec 2012). Instead of saying you are a great agency and have a great culture - try to BE one. Stop lying. Reward those who deserve rewarding.

Management tends to be out cycling, skiing, drinking and flying internationally, when the problems happen and its the lower level staff who are putting in the hours that get blamed when the agency starts to drown. They tend to fire the wrong people and not identify where the real problems are coming from. CEO should stop wasting money and spend it where it actually benefits the agency.

The Power of Orange Rules!!!

Current Employee - Executive in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Executive in Denver, CO

I have been working at Factory Design Labs full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Factory is a really big family. The teams work together on behalf of our clients and everyone helps each other. People work extremely hard here as they always want to deliver for Factory and the clients. It's a work hard, play hard culture. People either thrive in the organization or quickly Get ejected. There is no room for creative egos or people who don't get their hands dirty. Everyone here is in it to win.

Cons

A service business is always hard no matter where you work. The hours and client demands can be too overwhelming for some. Factory is quick to promote you if you are really good and quick to exit you are not.. It's that simple. You have to be awesome to make it at Factory.

Keep up the good work. Your past growth and successes speak for themselves. Factory is a really cool place, like no other agency out there. Thank you for the opportunity to work here.

FDL is something different

Current Employee - Creative in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Creative in Denver, CO

I have been working at Factory Design Labs full-time

Pros

If you've ever worked in the outdoor or action sports industry, you know they hate traditional advertising. Factory is the same, there is a different way of doing things here. It's not about water-cooler talk of what other agencies are up to, it's about being focused on creating work you are proud of and finding insights that speaks to core consumers to call bullsh*t when work is not authentic.

Cons

It's a passionate business. People work really hard. Emotion can lead to a bad break up in any relationship. In the past, there has been some negative blood that ran through the building, but those people have left. The building feels alive and healthy. Everyone is trying their best and there's a great sense of community.

The bad press on Factory sucks. It misrepresents all the hard work and genuine effort people put into their jobs everyday.

A chance to flex my talents and still learn something new everyday.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Factory Design Labs full-time (more than a year)

Pros

A great culture with a lot of smart people who are really into their craft and willing to work together. Creative, fun, and professional.

Cons

While FDL is pretty lean there will always be unneeded process and bureaucracy. It might be inevitable at this scale, but it sure can inhibit execution.

Next to practicing my craft, sharing it with others is vital. In 2013, no creative entity should resist an openness to communal participation in their industry(s).

Great opportunities, supportive team and supervisor

Current Employee - Operations in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Operations in Denver, CO

I have been working at Factory Design Labs full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Great benefits: HR really cares about it's people and will do pretty much anything to make you happy and comfortable in the workplace
    -Fun culture: young, friendly, adventurous crowd. Frequent happy hours and lunches that are always a good time
    -Supportive supervisors: I've always heard you're lucky to find a good boss. My supervisor is extremely caring and supportive..always looking and helping me to advance my career. Not to mention my department team. Couldn't be happier.
    -Location. Shops, restaurants
    -Clients- Factory looks to win business it's people will enjoy working on and relate to

Cons

-Turnover: I guess that's advertising for you. Factory doesn't keep people around that aren't pulling their weight, which can create some bad press. Expect to work hard and prepare to rock at your job...(everyone else around you will too)

A little recognition goes a long way. The smallest "good job" means the world to new employees. I think this is improving tremendously..Keep it up!

Community, Culture, Opportunity, and FUN

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Denver, CO

I have been working at Factory Design Labs full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Factory is a place where you work hard, play hard. Sure there are some weeks that are extremely busy with tight deadlines, but it is always balanced with weeks that you have Birthday Happy Hours, or Holiday lunches etc. Factory pays out bonuses every quarter and this years Q4 was HUGE! Only way you don't get a bonus is if you can't remember to do a time sheet. Sure time sheets are a pain but HELLO........BONUS BABY! It's a no brainer to me. Plus, as part of our Christmas bonus everyone who works here got a free Iphone 5 and has been put on Factory's plan.... That means no cell bill as long as you work here. Besides all the great perks, the people who work here all have a similar interests, motivations and drives. This creates an environment where you can speak freely, build a strong team with great communication and allows you to focus on your goals rather than how to get everyone on the same page. Managers and executives make themselves available and approachable. There is always opportunity to move up, both in your department or if you want to explore another department. Execs often walk around the office just asking how everyone's is doing... not with work, but with life. What other company do you know whose execs actually care like that? Finally, Like I said work hard, play hard,... and factory know how to play hard, between Ski days, Golf Days, Holiday Parties at MCA, with Sushi, beef wellington and Live music (Nate Rateliff, who has opened for The Fray and Mumford and sons to name a few), Factory knows how to create awesome events that only enhance to our culture, fun and vibe of the every changing Factory.

Cons

At times there is a slight disconnect between departments, mostly just perceptions left from people who no longer are at FDL.

Keep up the interaction with everyone! It really gives people a boost to know that you care about them as a person, not just the work they produce.

Factory Design Labs Photos