Factual

Updated February 10, 2015
4.2

Factual Founder & CEO Gil Elbaz
Gil Elbaz

Factual is invested in furthering its employees careers.

I have been working at Factual

Pros

One of the best things about Factual is how much management cares about the well being of its employees. My managers have meetings with me on a regular basis to discuss "workplace health." Basically, they ask if I am happy with what I am working on, and if I feel that what I am working on is helping me progress toward my career goals. This really makes me feel that Factual is invested in me.

Cons

People in the company worry that Factual is not growing fast enough. I think this stems from the difficulty of conveying Factual's technical benefits to non-technical customers.

Fun and challenging Big Data Start-Up with a world class CEO

Current Employee - Operations in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Factual full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The perks are amazing, and the company places a lot of value on culture. People at Factual aren't just coworkers, they are friends. Internally the company creates social groups to accommodate a wide variety of interests - from beer to hiking to surfing to board gaming. Depending on your team, there is quite a lot of flexibility with regard to hours. Get in late and work late if that's your thing. Also, unlimited vacation with approval. I personally have never heard of anyone being denied a vacation request.

The work is challenging and there is a lot to be done. If you show the capability, you will continually be provided with opportunities to grow.

Cons

Compensation is below market, though recent raises have alleviated that to some extent. Depending on your role, you may need to direct your time. If you have trouble working without structure, Factual may not be a great fit.

Be sure to communicate clearly with the company, make plans for infrastructure as company continues to grow.

It was a good experiencing interviewing with them

I have been working at Factual

Pros

Friendly Nice Good People Helpful

Cons

Tough Questions Hard Interview Internship

Great company, smart employees, growing every day

I have been working at Factual full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great engineers, driven sales and marketing team, continuously growing the business and the team, exciting environment with a lot of upside. Great work-life balance.

Cons

Independent work environment and very high expectations, but thats what it takes to make a successful work environment.

Interesting work, great people

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Factual full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I've been able to contribute by doing work that aligns with what I've done before, but also learn by doing the sort of work I've never been anywhere near. Management is very technically capable, and the company has enough momentum that high-quality design and small, continuous improvements are recognized and valued. My coworkers are some of the best I've worked with, but without the egos that can come with that level of skill.

Cons

The salaries are, at best, industry median. There's some merit to the idea that people should be excited about the work rather than the pay, but it's a false dichotomy. With that said, as the business grows (and it is growing, fast) this should work itself out.

Great company, Management leaves something to be desired

I worked at Factual full-time

Pros

Wonderful office culture, great people, relaxed environment. Company is doing worthwhile work and will be around for a long time. Fun activities and great, thoughtful parties. Very active in the LA Tech MeetUp scene, great flexible time off policy.

Cons

Management wasn't the best with clear communication, almost no guidance received in situations where guidance would be both appropriate and necessary. Greeted with very high expectations out of the gate, and met with sincere disapproval if something was not done up to par, despite almost a complete lack of guidance. One particular higher-up was outright hostile at things not being done a certain way, which was very uncomfortable.

Clearer guidelines from the start, effective professional communication needed. Criticisms need to be much more constructive.

Factual Response

Jan 23, 2015People Operations Manager

We appreciate the feedback on what it's like to work at Factual so we can continue to improve and remain a great place to work.

Top-notch engineering culture at a top-10 startup.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Factual full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Factual combines the upside, energy, and opportunities of an early- to mid-stage start-up with the stability of a well-funded, profitable private enterprise. Between the founder (with the extremely successful AdSense under his belt) and the VC's (Andreesen Horowitz and Index Ventures), the company has the legs to build a business without the distractions of worrying where next month's payroll is coming from.

The engineering culture is top-notch-- very challenging problems with the opportunity to experiment and innovate with cutting-edge tech. This has been the best, most fruitful season in my career to date. Big data is one of the top 3 or 4 opportunities in tech, and it's been exciting to see the company get traction and contribute to products across the spectrum of big names in tech and Fortune 500 companies.

Slightly-better-than-average startup perks-- stocked kitchens, active social activities, on-site boardgaming and ping pong/pool, gym subsidy, catered lunch weekly.

Cons

Very high technical bar means new engineers have to prove themselves-- so starting comp is low. Generally, within 1-2 years, compensation, factoring in equity upside, is as good or better than industry average.

Mentorship is limited-- engineers often are expected to fend for themselves, and the company rewards initiative and excellence.

Communicate and sell company objectives and plumb lines so that all employees know what the company is pulling toward.

Part of a Great Team

Current Employee - Technical Sourcer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Sourcer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Factual full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The opportunity to work on great projects and have a big impact on the success of the company. VERY intelligent people all around with a friendly and collaborative company culture. There are a lot of opportunities to learn new skills, and be a part of a bigger open source community. This is a young company so the equity portion of the comp package is going to have a strong upside.

Cons

Base salary portion of the compensation package is lower than the big company that I left, but I feel that the equity portion of the comp package is going to make up for that in the long run. There is no hiding in small organization and there is a lot of work to be done.

Continue to evaluate the compensation package as the market changes

Great internship experience

Former Intern - Data Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Intern - Data Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Factual as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Learned a lot and got to do many different things I chose to do.

Cons

Compensation is lower than industry average.

Increase compensation rate

It is a pretty good start-up company with lots of talent engineer

Former Employee - Data Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Data Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Factual full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

unlimited vacations, manager is pretty nice. can learn lots of cutting-edge technology. and there are lots of experienced engineer there.

Cons

salary is not so high as a start-up company. there are no clear career development plan for the engineer, it is not suitable for people who are just graduated from university.

Factual Response

Jan 23, 2015People Operations Manager

Thanks for your review, we appreciate your feedback.