FairPoint Communications

Updated October 14, 2014
2.5

FairPoint Communications CEO and Director Paul H. Sunu
Paul H. Sunu

Unstable - always threatened with layoffs

I worked at FairPoint Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Middle management seems to care

Cons

Union employees are under the impression that they are entitled and the company owes them

Recognize those that actually want to work to make the company better

This company is highly leveraged and treats its workers with no respect. They took on more than they could handle.

Current Employee - Telephone Technician in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Telephone Technician in Portland, ME

I have been working at FairPoint Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The pay is good but they have slashed all the benefits to nothing. Although the CEO got a huge raise this past year.

Cons

Their systems are horrible. Customers either get double or triple billed or don't get billed at all. Their systems have a hard time placing a simple telephone order for service. I believe they are headed for bankruptcy for a second time.

Management doesn't get treated any better. Very poor Human relations company.

A decent company that is losing track of it's focus

Current Employee - Central Office Technician in Manchester, NH
    Current Employee - Central Office Technician in Manchester, NH

I have been working at FairPoint Communications full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Decent pay and benefits.Flexible time off if you need it

Cons

company that has no directions anymore because of the constant upper management turn around's.
    There use to be a lot more job growth but the company is looking to outsource all office work to low wage states or out of the USA. Then use low wage out of state contractors to do all the outside work

FairPoint Communications NNE has problems coming out of the old and into the new

I have been working at FairPoint Communications full-time

Pros

FairPoint pays well for the area and benefits are similar to any other company in the area.

Cons

For a large, for profit corporation FairPoint has a long way to go with managing their business. Today they consistently harbor old style, militaristic, hierarchical and power hungry managers (for the most part). This is old and demeaning at best for the individuals that have to work under such managers. The title drives the attitude and they are very top heavy. Too many VP's and Directors and its in tilt mode!

Hire managers who are people savvy who can motivate and inspire rather than intimidate and choke the life out blood out of the "underlings". You need people who will build the trust.

Expectations Fell Short

I have been working at FairPoint Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Team work amongst workers, the company has potential, but decisions are made in a vacuum and without little though to long term consequences. Decent benefits.

Cons

No direction from senior management/leadership, poor work/life balance, always reinventing processes. Little opportunities for training or development. Too political.

Listen to employees and reward for good performance, stop cutting benefits, share vision and stragetic goals

Issues

I have been working at FairPoint Communications full-time

Pros

A lot of good people who work extremely hard and make the best out of everything.

Cons

Where to start? Executive Leadership is lacking and unrelaistic, they don't understand the market they own and they don't care too. There is no company vision or direction from the top down.

Listen to your employees, they know what they are talking about. They simply want the company to be successful.

Current Happy Employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ellensburg, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ellensburg, WA

I have been working at FairPoint Communications (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, benefits, commissions; opportunities for wage increases. We have a great trainer. We have underwent many changes in the 7+ years I have been employed here, and it has not always been easy--however, we are left with a (smaller) work crew now that for the most part like/love their jobs and truly care about the company. The management in our office is supportive, and the employees in the office are supportive of each other--We are in this together!

Cons

A little short staffed at times...

I am very happy with management in our area. We had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Sunu a couple times in our office, and genuinely liked him. We know and understand that it's up to all of us to retain and add new business, or there will be the possibility of layoffs

Lack of organization and competence within management and worker infrastructure

Current Employee - Outside Technician in Salem, NH
    Current Employee - Outside Technician in Salem, NH

I have been working at FairPoint Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The pay is very good, benefits are decent, and vacation time is ample. There is the opportunity to expand this company beyond DSL and land line service but that is uncertain at this time. The company has downsized their footprint with both reporting locations and fleet vehicles. New vehicles are being added which helps to boost employee morale.

Cons

If you have a high work ethic you will find yourself at a crossroads as you try to maintain efficiency but are hampered by the lack of organization and ability by managing bodies. Effective communication is greatly lacking within the company and the managing body as a whole is aging and has a "old" way of thinking. In most cases there seems to be a serious lack of any communication or management skills which degrades employee morale and hampers work efficiency for the end user. As a result of this often times workers are the subject of derogatory comments and gossip as a direct result of management's lack of ability or competence. This behavior further compounds the consistent negative outlook that so many employed here share.

Communicating effectively with your peers and co-workers would go great lengths to bettering the work environment. Trim the excess amount of aging management that still is within the company, freeing up room for forward thinkers and help to enable a positive work environment. Push fiber optic internet service to Manchester and the surrounding areas.

Not so great

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, VT

I worked at FairPoint Communications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits were okay. The culture in the office I worked at was pretty poor. The office was old, dirty and disgusting. Basically a dumping ground for the newer office.

Cons

Leadership was lacking, no promotions, training. Perhaps it was just my department, but the director was a joke. He had no idea what was going on. I had more experience and knew more about the area I worked in than most of the people, including the managers, in my department, yet, the manager treated me like I was a moron. Of course, the managers in the department were his "friends" from former organizations.

There was also a huge separation between union and non-union employees.

Great Exp

Former Employee - Unix Systems Administrative in Manchester, NH
    Former Employee - Unix Systems Administrative in Manchester, NH

I worked at FairPoint Communications as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Good people, Good work culture.

Cons

I do not have anything negative to say.

I do not have any advice to people I worked with.