Fairchild Semiconductor

Be The First To
Add Photos

Fairchild Semiconductor President, CEO, and Director Mark S. Thompson

Mark S. Thompson

Pros
  • Good working conditions, pay and benefits(in 5 reviews)

• Worked with great people many of them with the company 15(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • There are many stories of upper management having "walls' between them and baseline employees(in 4 reviews)

• Management is encouraging office politics(in 3 reviews)

Dead Company Walking

Program Manager (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsWatching the unravelling, and writing lessons learned for my Harvard business case study.

ConsInefficient companies should not exist. There has been no innovation for the past decade. In such a downward spiral, management and team are highly political (survival of the inept). It was a highly toxic environment in which I had to work long hours, more responsibilities added to your plate when there is attrition and no replacement hiring. It's also high bureaucratic, stodgy company from 50 years of existence. Don't go there unless you're looking for a paycheck to feed your kids. It will follow the path of vanishing breeds such as Polaroid, TWA, Woolworths, etc. Sad...

Advice to Senior ManagementYou made some $$$, now sell so a better company can unleash value (if there is anything left)

At the forefront of technology - great place to work and learn

Engineer (Former Employee) Colorado Springs, CO

ProsWe worked at a remote site for Fairchild. The work environment was relaxed and, at the same time, intense, but always, enjoyable. The employees, at our site and other offices (East and West coast corporate), are exceptional. In today's marketplace, when comparing Fairchild to many other corporate entities, Fairchild stands out as they care for their employees. It was a great place to work.

ConsUnfortunately, in the corporate world, nothing lasts forever. After many local lay-offs over several years, our facility was finally closed. Many of the final employees were offered relocation packages. Those who were not, were offered reasonable and fair separation packages.

Fairchild has provided me with more experience in 3 years than I would have received at any other company.

Process Engineer (Current Employee) West Jordan, UT

ProsThere is freedom to learn new tool sets and advance your knowledge of the equipment and process. If you can get over the constant stress and pressure of working under the gun, there is a lot of opportunity.

ConsThe company has a severe lack of communication. Major decisions are made by executives without consulting with engineering managers or the engineers themselves. This leads to numerous problems that the engineers have to resolve when the problems could have been avoided in the first place. Management expects you to work 24/7 and come in to work in the middle of the night if there is a problem. There is a high turnover rate with upper management and many of them show a lack of respect for employees that have been there much longer than them.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want respect from your employees you need to give it.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Who do they want to be when they grow up?

Account Manager (Former Employee)

ProsPays well. Benefits are very good.

ConsTo much about politics and making a name. They have forgotten about the customer. Have even has to pay Stanford to teach them about customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementCustomers make you and customers break you. Fairchild has forgotten about the customer and only focuses on what makes management look good.

Overall positive-but uncertain company strategy

Engineer (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsCan be supportive of people. If you are a self starter, work hard and actively manage your career and aggressively tap into the people resources and opportunities you can do well and learn a lot. Worked with great people many of them with the company 15+ years with great depth of experience. Supportive learning environment.

Consstrategy and direction do not feel cohesive, lack of focus on investments and vision for people and systems. Frequent re-organization which can feel chaotic- lead to communication breakdown and environment feeling a bit negative at times. You must be aggressive to be successful but without knowing that you are supported.

Advice to Senior ManagementLots of talent and ideas in the people to tap into

Floating or Sinking Ship?

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI can always claim I worked for a once upon a time storied company - start of the "Silicon" Valley - a badge of honor for a San Jose native.

ConsI knew a Fairchild engineer prior to joining Fairchild - he had been laid off and unemployed for over 2 years. This should have been a "red" flag for me not join but I took the job for a promotion and title bump (huge mistake since I'm now confronted with the same dilemma). Fairchild is stuck in quick sand right now with management power struggle where key executives are jockeying themselves for the inevitable. In the meantime, team morale is low. No growth prospect for any of the product lines muddled in politics for the most part. Pay is not as competitive to other Bay Area companies - c'est la vie....

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's too late - you're running out of time for any of turnaround strategy. There is no vision at the top anyway.

Great people to work with

ProsVery smart people at Fairchild (lots of engineers). Definitely learn a lot from them. Plenty of opportunities to travel as well.

ConsNot for the faint of heart. Semiconductor companies always seem to be either hiring or firing. Hopefully the new leadership this past year will remove some of the other cons.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the same travel rules for ALL employees.

Yearly roller coaster, but great place to work!

Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsExcellent benefits, company matching 401k, flexible times for personal reasons

ConsOften hits hard times around Q4. Likes to perform layoffs as part of short-term cost-cutting measure

Advice to Senior ManagementSeriously analyze the effects of short-term cost cutting measures that affect long-term results! People are your most valuable resources.

Good place to learn and gain experience

Engineer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsGood environment to learn and grow

ConsThere is too much fragmentation.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess fragmentation and top managements need to step in to have better collaborative work between groups.

Good place for both career advancement and family life

FAE (Current Employee) Modesto, CA

ProsCompany is driven to do well but also leaves room for having life outside of work. Pay and benefits are very good. Plan going forward is solid with good focus. Excellent Strategic customer focus through out the company.

ConsPoor Regional Sales plan with to much focus on regional revenue (shipping) and not enough focus on growing design wins and working across regions to grow second level revenue. Learning to have more upside capacity but slow to setup causing severe pain in regional sales chain.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on grow brand awareness and winning sockets, less focus on losing sockets based on price at CM. Focus and teamwork on important end equipments and winning at the top customers. Utilize the knowledge gained here to produce better support material to be used by both regional sales and distribution to expand customer pool.

Worked for Fairchild Semiconductor? Contribute to the Community!