Fairchild Semiconductor

Updated February 25, 2015
2.8

Fairchild Semiconductor President, CEO, and Director Mark S. Thompson
Mark S. Thompson

Pros
  • Good working conditions, pay and benefits (in 5 reviews)

• The company as a whole has many great people to work beside (internal and external) (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • There are many stories of upper management having "walls' between them and baseline employees (in 8 reviews)

• Life in semiconductors is like a roller coaster, lots of ups and downs with no steady periods (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place for Electrical Engineers and Computer Engineers in Maine

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in South Portland, ME
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in South Portland, ME

I worked at Fairchild Semiconductor as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

- Relaxed work place
    - Many good managers with engineering background
    - Willing to provide training and enrichment
    - Free Coffee, good cafeteria

Cons

- Company goals/strategy were a moving target
    - Resistance to change to new software tools

Need to settle on a market segment and stick with it. I also found there was a disconnect between the strategy level and implementation level. Need to open up those lines of communication and be willing to listen, explain, and discuss.

Worst management team in semiconductor industry!

I worked at Fairchild Semiconductor

Pros

I liked my team - the team that I built and developed myself. Good salary. It's about time San Jose becomes the HQ!!!!!!!

Cons

I had 2 managers. The one in Portland was the reason I left the company. The other one hired me. I also had some bad inheritance from my boss (who was with FSC for over 30 years!) and got forced out - he couldn't take changes. Most of the people he hired in Portland are gone. He hired a highly paid underling who did absolutely nothing while getting a high salary while driving in a BMW. I was hired by someone else who did not like my boss in Portland. I don't blame him. Every time I travel, I always hear Maine did this or rather Maine did not do this or that. For the longest time, it was soooooo Portland central hat the people who worked there got so complacent. How are you going to compete being a semi company out in the middle of nowhere!!

Fire the remaining management team members out of Portland. They really need to understand the global landscape rather than hiding in the little Portland hole!! Shake things up at the top. Too many people work there for way too long and just can't embrace change!! FSC will NEVER be the leader and will get gobbled up as long as Mark T. is at helm. He's been there for way too long too!! Get rid of managers who's unwilling to change especially those that's been there for 10+ years!!

Downward Spiral

I have been working at Fairchild Semiconductor full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great place for Exempts/Managers. It's amazing how the Fab personnel continue to dwindle yet the non Fab personnel just keep growing and growing.

Cons

Not so good for the Fab personnel. Resources continue to dwindle. Management spends the bare minimum and shows little to no investment back into the Fab or its Fab personnel. Used to be a great place to work when it was National Semiconductor. Future is quite dismal as work is beginning to get transferred to Foundries. The writing is on the wall. Morale is at an all time low.

Here's a tip, treat your Fab people like they matter to you. Treat them like the highly skilled and talented people they are instead of canon fodder or a pariah to be eliminated that you do now.

Workplace culture

Former Employee - Director in Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Director in Portland, ME

I worked at Fairchild Semiconductor full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Salary and Benefits are good.

Cons

Work-Life balance is compromised particularly across multi-national time zones
    Poor resource development practices, borderline harassment
    Systems and Tools are inadequate and/or outdated

Need to overhaul how people are treated in general with emphasis on basic performance assurance practices and policies. Develop true open-door policies for employees.

Invest in systems and tools that enhance ERP capabilities and P2P practices.

It was a good ride while it lasted

Current Employee - IT Staff in West Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - IT Staff in West Jordan, UT

I have been working at Fairchild Semiconductor full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A bittersweet review of the Pros since ultimately, we will be out of a job next year, but Fairchild has offered many opportunities in the 20+ years I have worked there.They offered very good benefits. They have the best Educational Assistance program I have ever known. They allowed for me to get a degree and other certificates without incurring any debt. They paid for it all and it is something that will help me move forward after I am no longer an employee.
     Ever since the announcement of the closure, and even before then when the rumors were going around, the site management has encouraged employees to take advantage of the educational assistance and any other opportunities to help us when it's time to move on.
       The severance package they are offering is fair. They are providing out placement, a job fair, and other support services to help us out.
       I'll miss the on-site gym which included a variety of classes for a minimum monthly fee.
     I will miss the great people that work there too.
     I am definitely leaving there much better off than when I started.

Cons

I used to have great respect for Mark Thompson. At one time, he wanted to keep manufacturing jobs in the U.S. He made a deal with our then governor, Jon Huntsman, five years ago that our site would provide more high paying jobs in exchange for tax breaks and other business-friendly perks. They even started to convert our site to an 8" facility to keep us competitive. It gave us a false sense of security. Meanwhile, Mark brought in the new COO, and it went downhill fast. They pulled the plug on the 8" conversion, and as soon as the five year agreement time was up, they pulled the plug on the whole site.

Not much to say here. Fairchild corporate management has gutted the company of personality and is only focused on what they can get out of it.

Interesting Smart company - good for co-op

Former Intern - Process Engineer in South Portland, ME
    Former Intern - Process Engineer in South Portland, ME

I worked at Fairchild Semiconductor as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great experience. Varied work. Good culture. Secure job - I worked there during the recession and they tried hard to keep all they could.

Cons

Strict work with the potential for odd hours since the fab is 24 hours. There were some internal complaints about possible limited promotion opportunities, but I wouldn't know for sure.

Make sure you promote a friendly team culture. Some managers were certainly more approachable than others, which is understandable, but at times it made work very unenjoyable.

Highly Specialized Positions with Limited Growth Potential

Current Employee - Engineer in South Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Engineer in South Portland, ME

I have been working at Fairchild Semiconductor full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It is amazing to be able to work in a high tech field in the Greater Portland area. The pay is decent for the area and the benefits are great. The location is convenient to everything and it is nice to have on-site dining services. The semiconductor industry is always changing so the daily grind gets mixed up from time to time with interesting new projects.

Cons

The company has been moving all operations to the west coast leaving limited growth potential on the east coast. There has been a tremendous amount of brain drain in recent years and the future of the SP facility is always in question by the employees. The HR department is basically useless when it comes to career development and not nothing more than to refer you to your manager.

Your latest corporate strategy is focused on dual sourcing and should include spreading out some of the talent across multiple sites rather than consolidating operations in San Jose.

Recent changes make it a less desirable place to work

Former Employee - Finance in South Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Finance in South Portland, ME

I worked at Fairchild Semiconductor full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

competitive salaries, good benefits including equity comp and good people to work with at the Maine location

Cons

New senior management has moved most upper level jobs out of Maine which can restrict growth opportunities at this location. Recurring restructuring and layoffs are common.

Long Term Retired Employee

I have been working at Fairchild Semiconductor

Pros

Benefits early in my career were very good but degraded over time.

Cons

Company went downhill when it went public. No long term vision.

Luck counts. Right?

I have been working at Fairchild Semiconductor

Pros

Good benefits. It's close to home.

Cons

hard to find management that actually cares.

Everyone has a part in this company making it good.

Fairchild Semiconductor Photos