Fairchild Semiconductor

Updated September 14, 2014
2.7

Fairchild Semiconductor President, CEO, and Director Mark S. Thompson
Mark S. Thompson

Pros
  • Good working conditions, pay and benefits (in 5 reviews)

• Worked with great people many of them with the company 15 (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • There are many stories of upper management having "walls' between them and baseline employees (in 4 reviews)

• Management is encouraging office politics (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Opportunity With a Limited Life

Current Employee - Process Engineer  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Fairchild Semiconductor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Provided a challenging environment that never allowing things to become boring or tedious. Had the opportunity to get creative with the job and explore possible solutions that were outside the normal thinking process.

Cons

Fairchild has decided to close the fab and move production to another plant. This has obviously left everyone looking for new employment. Life in semiconductors is like a roller coaster, lots of ups and downs with no steady periods.

Make sure to not take things personally with employees when things go wrong. We're working hard to keep things running too. Listen to operators as they know more than you may think they do.

The company had lost it's focus on the customers and set strategy according to Wall Street.

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Irving, TX

I worked at Fairchild Semiconductor full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Salary and benefits were good. Co-Workers were good people. There were the remains of a good culture.

Cons

Upper Management created a poisoned atmosphere to work at. Constantly threatened with losing our Jobs.

Realize the value you have to your customer base and don't try to re-invent the company into something it will never be.

Great Place until new management took over a couple of years ago. (Not Mark T)

I worked at Fairchild Semiconductor full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Much of my experience with the company was very good even through difficult times. I was able to take on multiple different roles and expand my capabilities and career. Was treated very fairly and compensated well.

Cons

- Many things have changed in the last couple of years with the new top management. I have never seen the stress and fear level in an organization increase so quickly due to management changes.
    Previously it was a very good place to work. I am not optimistic about the future.
    - Has always been somewhat sluggish to respond to new opportunities quickly. Management has always been some what risk adverse.

Don't be so California Centric. Great things happen elsewhere also. Changing to work spaces vs cubicles will ultimately result in lower productivity not more collaboration. Has been tried and failed elsewhere.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poor Executive Management

I have been working at Fairchild Semiconductor full-time

Pros

The company as a whole has many great people to work beside (internal and external).

Cons

The executive team treats the production factories poorly. It's very difficult to stay motivated.

Follow our guiding principles just as we are being directed to follow.

Good to Whatever

Current Employee - FAE  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - FAE in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Fairchild Semiconductor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They have some good people and technologies. They have a good image in the Semiconductor space.

Cons

Unless you want to live in San Jose, CA be bi-lingual, ad love to tell your boss and upper management how great they are and how wonderful their ideas are stay away. If you want your opinion to count or even be asked for, if you like a positive can do attitude, if you like decisions to happen quickly based on good market information, look somewhere else. The atmosphere is either look for a new job before you are fired or hope to be laid off with nice severance package and then move down the street.

Actually live the words you preach instead of do as I say not as I do. Fairchild may have needed some people replaced and a more aggressive approach to their markets, but they did not need a kick to the groin, a complete changing of Management, and a Gestapo/KGB management culture. I have never worked at a place with more fear amongst the rank and file.

Dynamic

I have been working at Fairchild Semiconductor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great products, leader in industry

Cons

change management approach needs improvement

Build stronger bridge between old and new leadership

Management needs to settle down

I have been working at Fairchild Semiconductor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good working conditions, pay and benefits. Wonderful health plan and for young employees a wonderful education program.

Cons

Top management is going to micromanage itself out of business. Too many good ideas are being rejected on a daily basis. Good people are leaving due to animosity from COO. Just plain nasty to subordinates. Our talented people are leaving for better work environments available in the industry.

Start trusting your key employees in addition to or instead the top 3 "Experts". These top 3 are not as smart as they are considered to be.

The Power to Amaze? Not! Show me the products!

Former Employee - Senior Director of Development  in  South Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Senior Director of Development in South Portland, ME

I worked at Fairchild Semiconductor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good based technology. A few excellent technologists still remain but many have been replaced with inferior "yes men" that have been hand picked by a micro managing COO.

Cons

The new COO and his executive staff have created a culture of fear and dis-trust. If you challenge a strategy or their point of view and don't blindly agree with whatever they roll out you are a marked man.

The new COO talks about all the right stuff and paints a positive vision and strategy that you can get on-board with but his actions are completely opposite.

They've spent more time and money on re-branding and re-decorating than on technology and products. Very sad, the Board of Directors should be ashamed of this situation. Stockholders would be disgusted if they knew what's really going on inside the company.

Stop trying to implement a west coast super cool culture. Get back to basics, build a culture based on trust and empowerment. Focus on semiconductor technology and the possibilities that technology can enable.

I Loved working for this company from 1998 to 2012

I worked at Fairchild Semiconductor full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

A public company is run by a board of investors… as far as the CEO goes its like a box of chocolates ..you never know what your going to get… This could be a good thing…shakes things up

Cons

The new guy (Not MThompson) brought weekly parties, off site events, games and color crayons in the cafe to increase morale… This however seem to do the opposite. employees seen this as a waste of funds. We were told to open up share ideas…."NEVER do this" if your ideas are not shared by the "NEW" guy and his chosen few … your out!! not a happy place to work : (

Extreme struggles trying to find a long term business plan & buy-in from employees

Former Employee - Engineer  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Fairchild Semiconductor full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

A bridge to another job or gain experience in electronics design or manufacturing to help you later land another job in your career path.

Cons

There are many stories of upper management having "walls' between them and baseline employees. Unfortunately, these walls are physical, emotional and often involve nasty management dictates. You can literally watch & see the barriers between manager chiefs and worker peasants.
    Often the baseline employees have good ideas and connections to the electronic marketplace but management won't listen to them. This wall didn't exist before 2008.

Directly visit with your own employees without your "handlers," tear down your walls. Learn how to listen to your workers and let them guide a strategy for the electronics field. Do not build the strategy by yourself behind your walls. You can't know enough of the details to be successful and there have been way too many strategic plans dictated to them which crashed miserably. They don't trust your dictated paths.

Worked for Fairchild Semiconductor? Contribute to the Community!