Fairchild Semiconductor

Be The First To
Add Photos

Fairchild Semiconductor President, CEO, and Director Mark S. Thompson

Mark S. Thompson

Pros
  • Good working conditions, pay and benefits(in 5 reviews)

• Worked with great people many of them with the company 15(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • There are many stories of upper management having "walls' between them and baseline employees(in 4 reviews)

• Management is encouraging office politics(in 3 reviews)

Excellent family oriented company to work for.

Senior Layout Engineer (Former Employee) South Portland, ME

ProsFairchild works to balance work and family while incorporating company loyalty.

ConsAs with any Semiconductor company the cyclical nature of the industry, more proactive response is needed.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining of appropriate individuals to have a long term outlook for the company and not be reactive, but rather
    be proactive with how the semiconductor business is doing globally, that is say look for oppurtunities to outpace competitors.

The Power to Amaze? Not! Show me the products!

Senior Director of Development (Former Employee) South Portland, ME

ProsGood based technology. A few excellent technologists still remain but many have been replaced with inferior "yes men" that have been hand picked by a micro managing COO.

ConsThe new COO and his executive staff have created a culture of fear and dis-trust. If you challenge a strategy or their point of view and don't blindly agree with whatever they roll out you are a marked man.

The new COO talks about all the right stuff and paints a positive vision and strategy that you can get on-board with but his actions are completely opposite.

They've spent more time and money on re-branding and re-decorating than on technology and products. Very sad, the Board of Directors should be ashamed of this situation. Stockholders would be disgusted if they knew what's really going on inside the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to implement a west coast super cool culture. Get back to basics, build a culture based on trust and empowerment. Focus on semiconductor technology and the possibilities that technology can enable.

Dynamic

ProsGreat products, leader in industry

Conschange management approach needs improvement

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild stronger bridge between old and new leadership

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Extreme struggles trying to find a long term business plan & buy-in from employees

Engineer (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsA bridge to another job or gain experience in electronics design or manufacturing to help you later land another job in your career path.

ConsThere are many stories of upper management having "walls' between them and baseline employees. Unfortunately, these walls are physical, emotional and often involve nasty management dictates. You can literally watch & see the barriers between manager chiefs and worker peasants.
    Often the baseline employees have good ideas and connections to the electronic marketplace but management won't listen to them. This wall didn't exist before 2008.

Advice to Senior ManagementDirectly visit with your own employees without your "handlers," tear down your walls. Learn how to listen to your workers and let them guide a strategy for the electronics field. Do not build the strategy by yourself behind your walls. You can't know enough of the details to be successful and there have been way too many strategic plans dictated to them which crashed miserably. They don't trust your dictated paths.

Management needs to settle down

ProsGood working conditions, pay and benefits. Wonderful health plan and for young employees a wonderful education program.

ConsTop management is going to micromanage itself out of business. Too many good ideas are being rejected on a daily basis. Good people are leaving due to animosity from COO. Just plain nasty to subordinates. Our talented people are leaving for better work environments available in the industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart trusting your key employees in addition to or instead the top 3 "Experts". These top 3 are not as smart as they are considered to be.

No future.

Strategic Marketing Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsDecent amount of work demand
    Decent amount of work demand

ConsSmall salary and politics all over.
    Very authoritative management and you are not allowed to talk your idea unless you are definitely his man.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing.

I Loved working for this company from 1998 to 2012

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA public company is run by a board of investors… as far as the CEO goes its like a box of chocolates ..you never know what your going to get… This could be a good thing…shakes things up

ConsThe new guy (Not MThompson) brought weekly parties, off site events, games and color crayons in the cafe to increase morale… This however seem to do the opposite. employees seen this as a waste of funds. We were told to open up share ideas…."NEVER do this" if your ideas are not shared by the "NEW" guy and his chosen few … your out!! not a happy place to work : (

Challenging projects

Staff Applications Engineer (Current Employee) Mountain Top, PA

ProsMost of the projects are challenging enough to keep you interested.

ConsMany late night phone calls and after hour meetings are expected.

Cha-cha-cha-changes...

ProsEnjoy peer interactions
    Have learned a lot about the industry
    Awesome cafeteria onsite
    Decent benefits

ConsNot a lot of room for growth in my area
    Management seems to be working on a lot of initiatives that may or not "get the ship righted", including letting go of some long-tenured employees
    Compensation is below industry/national standards

Advice to Senior ManagementIf employee engagement is important, then aim to engage all of your employees, not just the ones you determine to be "the" talent. It takes a lot of folks to support the talent, and they deserve to be engaged meaningfully, too.

Measure twice, cut once when it comes to releasing talented, tenured individuals. New blood is good, but having "tribal knowledge" is important, too. Either find a good way to record that before letting it go, or suffer some consequences that could lead to lost business because someone "didn't know".

Salary equity with industry norms is a wise move. Job performance indeed plays a part; however, paying for a skill set that can be shown to support the bottom line (we have all been told our roles do that) should not be just the bottom of the scale to "leave room for growth".

Aggressive management types

ProsPeople are nice. There is a sense of team work environment.

ConsPay relatively low. Stressful environment.

Worked for Fairchild Semiconductor? Contribute to the Community!