Fairchild Semiconductor

Updated September 29, 2014
2.8

Fairchild Semiconductor President, CEO, and Director Mark S. Thompson
Mark S. Thompson

Pros
  • Good working conditions, pay and benefits (in 5 reviews)

• The company as a whole has many great people to work beside (internal and external) (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • There are many stories of upper management having "walls' between them and baseline employees (in 7 reviews)

• Life in semiconductors is like a roller coaster, lots of ups and downs with no steady periods (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

analog ic design engineer

Former Employee - Design Engineer  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Fairchild Semiconductor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good environment, good team work

Cons

too much politics in the management

don't be too harsh

Great Opportunity With a Limited Life

Current Employee - Process Engineer  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Fairchild Semiconductor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Provided a challenging environment that never allowing things to become boring or tedious. Had the opportunity to get creative with the job and explore possible solutions that were outside the normal thinking process.

Cons

Fairchild has decided to close the fab and move production to another plant. This has obviously left everyone looking for new employment. Life in semiconductors is like a roller coaster, lots of ups and downs with no steady periods.

Make sure to not take things personally with employees when things go wrong. We're working hard to keep things running too. Listen to operators as they know more than you may think they do.

disappointing. No room for advancement

I worked at Fairchild Semiconductor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Easy job. Didn't have to try very hard. Didn't seem like anyone was trying that hard either.

Cons

Boring work. Always send place at best in the industry. There was nothing nee or interesting with this job.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

25 Year employee line maintenance. Wish it go on for 20 more

Current Employee - Line Maintenance  in  West Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Line Maintenance in West Jordan, UT

I have been working at Fairchild Semiconductor full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great co-workers and middle management. Family atmosphere will be greatly missed.

Cons

Was a great place to work couldn't wait to go to work had a great sense accomplishment thbefore new upper management came and killed everythinmanufacturing'm sure they were trying to cut overhead but in doing so may have cut the throat of the company, it seems to be dying a slow and painful death. Jobs are being transferred overseas and all the great development engineer's have been let go.

Upper management talks of new products coming out but when it takes over a year to transfer a product how can a new product be developed in time.

I have heard from upper management that they care about all employees and want the best for them but will put them out if they don't give into there ways.

As a last note if you are an American you will have no lasting job with this company for before this new regime gets through there will be no manufacturing jobs in the US.

Be careful what you ask for, you may just get

Hard Work, High Stress & Getting Yelled At

Current Employee - Accountant  in  South Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Accountant in South Portland, ME

I have been working at Fairchild Semiconductor full-time for more than a year

Pros

Career growth and many opportunities due to high turnover. Because of the lean culture everyone has to work together across all departments and areas. It's relatively easy to request or discuss things with other pockets of Fairchild which I have been told is very difficult at other companies.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations from management. Executive and senior management is living in the '70's where they think it is okay to scream, yell, swear at and belittle employees in public settings. It is important to note that these employees are junior level and not other executives. It is clear that this style is not effective due to the fact that many employees quit monthly while it is very difficult to backfill because of the terrible word on the street.

It's quite clear that the strategy of the company is to engage employees, yet the executives act like employees are useless. At the end of the day practice what you preach. At this point all employees think you are just giving them a line, because we know how you behave when the cameras aren't on you.

The company had lost it's focus on the customers and set strategy according to Wall Street.

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Irving, TX

I worked at Fairchild Semiconductor full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Salary and benefits were good. Co-Workers were good people. There were the remains of a good culture.

Cons

Upper Management created a poisoned atmosphere to work at. Constantly threatened with losing our Jobs.

Realize the value you have to your customer base and don't try to re-invent the company into something it will never be.

Great Place until new management took over a couple of years ago. (Not Mark T)

I worked at Fairchild Semiconductor full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Much of my experience with the company was very good even through difficult times. I was able to take on multiple different roles and expand my capabilities and career. Was treated very fairly and compensated well.

Cons

- Many things have changed in the last couple of years with the new top management. I have never seen the stress and fear level in an organization increase so quickly due to management changes.
    Previously it was a very good place to work. I am not optimistic about the future.
    - Has always been somewhat sluggish to respond to new opportunities quickly. Management has always been some what risk adverse.

Don't be so California Centric. Great things happen elsewhere also. Changing to work spaces vs cubicles will ultimately result in lower productivity not more collaboration. Has been tried and failed elsewhere.

Good to Whatever

Current Employee - FAE  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - FAE in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Fairchild Semiconductor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They have some good people and technologies. They have a good image in the Semiconductor space.

Cons

Unless you want to live in San Jose, CA be bi-lingual, ad love to tell your boss and upper management how great they are and how wonderful their ideas are stay away. If you want your opinion to count or even be asked for, if you like a positive can do attitude, if you like decisions to happen quickly based on good market information, look somewhere else. The atmosphere is either look for a new job before you are fired or hope to be laid off with nice severance package and then move down the street.

Actually live the words you preach instead of do as I say not as I do. Fairchild may have needed some people replaced and a more aggressive approach to their markets, but they did not need a kick to the groin, a complete changing of Management, and a Gestapo/KGB management culture. I have never worked at a place with more fear amongst the rank and file.

Poor Executive Management

I have been working at Fairchild Semiconductor full-time

Pros

The company as a whole has many great people to work beside (internal and external).

Cons

The executive team treats the production factories poorly. It's very difficult to stay motivated.

Follow our guiding principles just as we are being directed to follow.

The Power to Amaze? Not! Show me the products!

Former Employee - Senior Director of Development  in  South Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Senior Director of Development in South Portland, ME

I worked at Fairchild Semiconductor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good based technology. A few excellent technologists still remain but many have been replaced with inferior "yes men" that have been hand picked by a micro managing COO.

Cons

The new COO and his executive staff have created a culture of fear and dis-trust. If you challenge a strategy or their point of view and don't blindly agree with whatever they roll out you are a marked man.

The new COO talks about all the right stuff and paints a positive vision and strategy that you can get on-board with but his actions are completely opposite.

They've spent more time and money on re-branding and re-decorating than on technology and products. Very sad, the Board of Directors should be ashamed of this situation. Stockholders would be disgusted if they knew what's really going on inside the company.

Stop trying to implement a west coast super cool culture. Get back to basics, build a culture based on trust and empowerment. Focus on semiconductor technology and the possibilities that technology can enable.

Fairchild Semiconductor Photos

PCT office front door

+ Add Photo

Worked for Fairchild Semiconductor? Contribute to the Community!