Fairchild Semiconductor

Updated September 14, 2014
2.7

Fairchild Semiconductor President, CEO, and Director Mark S. Thompson
Mark S. Thompson

Pros
  • Good working conditions, pay and benefits (in 5 reviews)

• Worked with great people many of them with the company 15 (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • There are many stories of upper management having "walls' between them and baseline employees (in 4 reviews)

• Management is encouraging office politics (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

A company going thru growing pains in the process of upping a level

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Fairchild Semiconductor full-time for more than a year

Pros

A lot is changing for the better: new company cultural guideline; new ways of thinking; new ideas, etc. Also it has the culture of being every flexible: you can be at any place of the world working for Fairchild as long as you get the job done.

Cons

Too many meetings; top-heavy; a lot is changing but a person, an organization can only change so much at a time; the ideas are all good yet the implementation and execution is reflecting contradicting interpretations on the ideas.

Great

I worked at Fairchild Semiconductor as an intern

Pros

The people are really nice and good at their respective jobs.

Cons

Be ready for a lot of work.

None

They take care of their employees, but experience will vary with manager.

Former Employee - Intermediate Engineer Project Lead  in  Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Intermediate Engineer Project Lead in Portland, ME

I worked at Fairchild Semiconductor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The HR people I dealt with were all very helpful and friendly. There are pockets of excellence in strategic thinking, and people who are subject matter experts.

Cons

Management often has unclear or conflicting messages. There is pervasive mediocrity that is difficult to cut through.

Give more power to the proven agents of change. Don't swamp good people with firefighting.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

a good place to get experience fresh out of school, but don't stay

Current Employee - Engineering Technician
    Current Employee - Engineering Technician

I have been working at Fairchild Semiconductor full-time

Pros

LOTS of paid time off, annual bonus if they do well, mostly friendly co-workers, a lot of freedom, on site activities and gym, free coffee, good place to have on your resume when fresh out of school, paid continuing education.

Cons

The semiconductor industry has a lot of ups and downs but this place was closing and then not closing, then closing again a few times a year which made it very hard to think about financing a home or anything. TOO MUCH management, I dont even know how many managers were above me, way too many chiefs and not enough indians. no structured pay scale, everyone made vastly different amounts. I made $44k/yr, my next door desk neighbor made $145k/yr in the same job title, similar experience. site-wide shutdowns multiple times/year. Managers who aren't qualified to be in the position they are in. A total lack of safety, in every category imaginable, the only people who knew how to protect even themselves were on site for 40+ years. under-experienced engineers who dont have proper training. over-experienced engineers and techs who are just too lazy to be worth half what they are making. ancient equipment that can be a nightmare to service (I personally loved having to re-engineer broken equipment but after just a year it was getting old). Not a whole lot of GOOD experience, meaning you learn what you need to know to fix daily malfunctions in your area and that's it (Replace a card that failed and send it out for repair...), I'd prefer to fix it myself. The pay for the stress of the job and its responsibilities is far under par compared to national average. 12hour rotating shifts, some like them, some dont.

Quit. Less than 25% of you deserve to be where you are. None of you deserve the salary you're making for what you do, and I know what you do, being in the engineering office. Take educated willing to learn new hires seriously. Stop promoting people based on their golf game. Got really irritated with them when our engineering office was no longer allowed to have a picture of loved ones on our desk, yet HR offices are a cluttered mess of personal life, really???

Worked there for 31 years. Overall a good experience, with some ups and downs.

Former Employee - Process Development Engineer  in  West Jordan, UT
    Former Employee - Process Development Engineer in West Jordan, UT

I worked at Fairchild Semiconductor full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits. Shits available to accommodate almost any need.

Cons

New management team caused deterioration in moral. Things have gotten better, but may be too late. A lot of micromanagement.

Trust your employees, especially senior ones, to know how to do their jobs. Teat your employees as you want to be treated.

Dead Company Walking

Former Employee - Program Manager  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Fairchild Semiconductor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Watching the unravelling, and writing lessons learned for my Harvard business case study.

Cons

Inefficient companies should not exist. There has been no innovation for the past decade. In such a downward spiral, management and team are highly political (survival of the inept). It was a highly toxic environment in which I had to work long hours, more responsibilities added to your plate when there is attrition and no replacement hiring. It's also high bureaucratic, stodgy company from 50 years of existence. Don't go there unless you're looking for a paycheck to feed your kids. It will follow the path of vanishing breeds such as Polaroid, TWA, Woolworths, etc. Sad...

You made some $$$, now sell so a better company can unleash value (if there is anything left)

At the forefront of technology - great place to work and learn

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Fairchild Semiconductor full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

We worked at a remote site for Fairchild. The work environment was relaxed and, at the same time, intense, but always, enjoyable. The employees, at our site and other offices (East and West coast corporate), are exceptional. In today's marketplace, when comparing Fairchild to many other corporate entities, Fairchild stands out as they care for their employees. It was a great place to work.

Cons

Unfortunately, in the corporate world, nothing lasts forever. After many local lay-offs over several years, our facility was finally closed. Many of the final employees were offered relocation packages. Those who were not, were offered reasonable and fair separation packages.

Fairchild has provided me with more experience in 3 years than I would have received at any other company.

Current Employee - Process Engineer  in  West Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in West Jordan, UT

I have been working at Fairchild Semiconductor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There is freedom to learn new tool sets and advance your knowledge of the equipment and process. If you can get over the constant stress and pressure of working under the gun, there is a lot of opportunity.

Cons

The company has a severe lack of communication. Major decisions are made by executives without consulting with engineering managers or the engineers themselves. This leads to numerous problems that the engineers have to resolve when the problems could have been avoided in the first place. Management expects you to work 24/7 and come in to work in the middle of the night if there is a problem. There is a high turnover rate with upper management and many of them show a lack of respect for employees that have been there much longer than them.

If you want respect from your employees you need to give it.

Who do they want to be when they grow up?

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Fairchild Semiconductor full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pays well. Benefits are very good.

Cons

To much about politics and making a name. They have forgotten about the customer. Have even has to pay Stanford to teach them about customers.

Customers make you and customers break you. Fairchild has forgotten about the customer and only focuses on what makes management look good.

Overall positive-but uncertain company strategy

Former Employee - Engineer  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Fairchild Semiconductor full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Can be supportive of people. If you are a self starter, work hard and actively manage your career and aggressively tap into the people resources and opportunities you can do well and learn a lot. Worked with great people many of them with the company 15+ years with great depth of experience. Supportive learning environment.

Cons

strategy and direction do not feel cohesive, lack of focus on investments and vision for people and systems. Frequent re-organization which can feel chaotic- lead to communication breakdown and environment feeling a bit negative at times. You must be aggressive to be successful but without knowing that you are supported.

Lots of talent and ideas in the people to tap into

Worked for Fairchild Semiconductor? Contribute to the Community!