Faircount Media Reviews

Reset
Ross Jobson

1. Wish I Could Stay

Former Employee - Account Executive in Tampa, FL

I worked at Faircount Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great publications and excellent work environment. I've been in advertising for 10+ years and wish I had found Faircount sooner. Benefits are exceptional, flexible pay plans, and paid training are all things that I had never seen before in my travels. If the wife hadn't gotten transferred, I would still be there.

Cons

Can't say anything other than the occasional IT snafu. You have to like an open-office environment(I do), as your co-workers are right across from you, and sometimes it gets loud.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! If I come back to Tampa, I hope you'll have me back.

2. This was the worst I ever had

Current Employee - Phone Dailer in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Phone Dailer in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Faircount Media

Pros

I can't remember any. This job is for who has no other choice

Cons

Everything. Training is a joke. Don't have any question because you are on your own!

Advice to Management

What management if there was one but I never meet them!!!!!!!

3. Rude and Dishonest

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Tampa, FL

I worked at Faircount Media

Pros

Pay Rate/Compensation not bad
    hours not bad
    breakfast on fridays.

Cons

#1 - Not Honest People your working for.
    I was constantly yelled at for things like: Identifying myself to employees at other companies, answering direct questions with direct answers. I was encouraged to lie, or lie by omission, to potential clients (ug)

#2 - They still think this is sales 101 from 1980. They think a good salesman should be trickery and rude. I was told, WORD FOR WORD: 'It's ok to be mean to them..." in reference to potential clients. They will have you push 'urgency' instead of value, which is really ridiculous. This approach may have been helpful when they started 20 years ago and had no clients, but now they have a list of prestigious clients, have done good work, and still sell like hustling beginners instead of focusing on the value they can offer.

#3 - 'Managers' will constantly talk to you like you're their poor dumb child, they will constantly berate you to 'help you get it right.' Again, this is 2015, get with the times.

#4 - WILL PROBABLY STIFF YOU ON LAST PAYCHECK, THEY DID IT TO ME. While it was only a couple hundred bucks off, if this isn't concerning for the prospective employee, I don't know what would be.

How can you tell my review is 100%?

Watch carefully when you show up to interview. You will notice a couple empty seats here and there on a floor of around 20ish. You will immediately notice just how polished the CEO's delivery is when he's telling you about the company, and how it seems like they do the introduction thing every singe week. That's because they DO. With a sales floor no bigger than 25 seats, they are still having to hire new people every 1-2 weeks. They are technically hiring more people every hear then their entire sales floor worth of agents. When a company has turnover this high with decent pay, it should tell you one thing: Poor. Management.

If you last 2 months, it will be a lot longer than most I'm betting.

So again, the cons:
    Not Honest.
    Behind the times(in an ethical way, which will probably kill them off soon enough)
    Managers constantly berate you
    Can't Trust Them to do Payroll Honestly.

Advice to Management

You have a good product, you've now been around the block a couple times, cut the baloney!
    Get with the times, this is 2015. Anyone can look into anyone else, especially commercially. People DO NOT like working with people they feel they can't trust, and can verify your trustworthiness with a ton of 3rd party resources.

Don't short people on their paychecks. For a couple hundred bucks, I'm not even going to bother calling your company back. What I am going to do(and any tech savvy intelligent person would do) is just leave honest reviews anywhere your company name comes up to warn people what they are dealing with.

If you short a paycheck 5 dollars, and know you did it, you're thief, plain and simple. If you want to be in business in 2015 with other respectable companies, and you think you can do it with people crying 'Thief thief,' by all means go ahead.

5. Came for the job, stayed for the career.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Faircount Media full-time

Pros

Excellent training program. The training and tools that are provided are second to none. Best products on the market. Working for such agencies as the US Army, US Coast Guard, Sundance Film Festival, NASA gives instant credibility and name recognition. The best part is you get to work on DIFFERENT projects through the course of the year, keeping it fresh and exciting. Benefits are exceptional with health insurance, 401k, disability, TOP, etc.

Cons

The pipeline coming from business development is a critical component to the job. They have to keep new projects coming in while at the same time freshening up annuals. Get a stinker of a project and it impacts your wallet.

Advice to Management

Each manager brings his own intangibles to the job, but what is lacking is consistency. Focus on communication and maybe some skill set training for the managers that are managing teams.

6. Find your groove, and let the money start to flow

Former Employee - Account Executive in Tampa, FL

I worked at Faircount Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of things I loved about working at Faircount. Our projects were great, and had were immediately recognizable to the advertisers we were calling. We got to do our own research rather than being handed crappy leads, this really helped set focused salespeople apart from the ones who weren't game to put in the work. The commissions were the best part. Nothing motivates a good salesperson like the number on that check. There were constant sales incentives to make it more interesting and the management was awesome.

Cons

It is challenging at times to keep your leads fresh and your angles tight throughout a project's life-cycle. BUT, if you can manage that, it makes day to day operations such as calls, pitches, deals, etc. that much easier to come by. And more calls and pitches, equals more money.

Advice to Management

You have done a great job in finding dedicated managers that have a genuine interest and almost a stake of pride in the projects that they work on. That little edge of competitiveness pushes not only sales managers but their teams as well to bust their butts on all the projects to see who is at the top at the end of the year when the dust settles.

7. Can't learn this in college!

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive

I worked at Faircount Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with Lawrence Wayne Robert, Ross, and Robin was an amazing experience that took me to California, SOFIC, the largest SOCOM Conference in the world. Put me in touch with CEO's of billion dollar companies around the world, high up military and government personnel, and startup companies with amazing new products and services. I was able to keep a pulse on the world and research massive amounts of information to succeed. Excellent company and position.

Cons

Nothing I can even think of to put here.

Advice to Management

It was a genuine pleasure!

Dont Bother

Former Employee - Sales in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Sales in Tampa, FL

I worked at Faircount Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management and employees are somewhat pleasant. Free Wi-fi and coffee. A pretty good training program. Ample parking. Casual Fridays you can wear jeans.

Cons

Employees are coming and going every week even though there are only 30 seats in there. Multiple people there are convicted felons. Numerous people were back for a second or third time, seems unusual. A good fit if you're a felon with no conscience. I was approached my first week and asked if I wanted to buy drugs. Script you read from is loaded with 20-30 year old sales tactics. If client doesn't want to pay that rate, guess what, If I can get my manager to sign off on this and I'm not sure he will...or a spot just opened up. I was there for a month, 2 weeks were training, before being let go.

Advice to Management

They are stuck in their ways. No advice would be taken.

Boiler room

Current Employee - Account Executive in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Faircount Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice C.O.O., nice training staff, good training program, very motivated company

Cons

True boiler room, 100+ calls a day. They don't need talented sales people with proven track records of awesomeness, they need monkeys to push buttons. This is where talented sales people go to die.

Advice to Management

Your small team of sales managers are stabbing you in the back by disrespecting you verbally, and by allowing you to trust them and burning through talented people that are actually working through the smoke breaks that everyone else is taking. Half the people that work for you do drugs, come to work on drugs, and you need to pay more attention to the work environment.

Should I stay or should I go ....

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Faircount Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nicely executed custom print magazines. Well written editorial content. Some good people. Decent benefits, interesting topics and process.

Cons

WORST of the WORST you have a 50/50 chance of being stuck with a "manager" that FAILED Anger Management training. Their bad day becomes your nightmare, it's a churn & burn shop in a stress filled outbound call center. It's unnerving to hear your colleagues (or you) being called out and humiliated in an area smaller than most waiting areas at the airport, and there is no where to hide even when it has nothing to do with anyone working there......

The seating is wide open and like a sardine can. There are lots of parasites under a lot of pressure to produce and they will scam you. Quickly you'll see how often the same companies have been called.

Best to pass this gig up.

The glaciers will be melted by the time they change course for $$$ print ads for their custom "cocktail table" magazines. The best clients historically have been part of the Fed Govt /Armed Services/ DOD with vendors sucking up buying $$$ print ads with insignificant online reach. If you're aware of the current political environment then you know that money is drying up like Lake Mead and the bad managers get even worse.

Advice to Management

Pointing a finger at your sales team leaves 3 fingers pointing back at YOU. Fire your lazy, ill-tempered "managers" they are not worth a flip, longevity does not = excellence.

Fool me once, shame on you.

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Faircount Media full-time

Pros

What Faircount sells is not what is being delivered. The concept of an exclusive audience being reached by a critical governing body sounds great. The reality is after a period if years major advertisers are not renewing and that is based on results and likely lack of enough exposure. You will never get written audience volumes nor proof of delivery, though they claim the publication is mailed.

Cons

Getting paid, leads being stolen, managers that have no advertising experience outside of the company, an extremely high turnover rate, lack of repeat business killing publications and no creative pipeline of new markets

Advice to Management

Not my job, I posted this for future employees. The truth will catch up to you.

RSS Feed </> Embed