Fairfax County Public Schools

Updated January 29, 2015
4.1

Fairfax County Public Schools Superintendent Dr. Karen Garza
Dr. Karen Garza

Pros
  • Many resources and professional development opportunities (in 10 reviews)

• Great Benefits and retirement options (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • work-life balance is a little bit hard sometimes (in 3 reviews)

• Students and Parents scare Administration when they threaten to complain to school board (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

The experience has been amazing.

Current Employee - First Grade Teacher in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - First Grade Teacher in McLean, VA

I have been working at Fairfax County Public Schools

Pros

Great support, Salary, Summers off, great children programs

Cons

There are no bad things about this job!

Great benefits!

I have been working at Fairfax County Public Schools

Pros

Room for growth and movement throughout division.

Cons

Currently in the 5th or 6th year of freeze on step increases. Outlook os bleak.

Excellent School Diatrict

Former Employee - Teacher in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Fairfax County Public Schools full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great support system for new teachers
    Good pay
    Professional development opportunities
    Coworkers are friendly
    There are a lot of schools...jobs in the district

Cons

Too many IEPs for students with special needs
    Traffic is terrible
    Class sizes are getting too big
    Too much testing

Doing great work with and for great people!

Current Employee - Current Human Resources Specialist for 12 Years in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Fairfax County Public Schools

Pros

Successful education of all of our students in prek-12 is our highest priority. We strive to hire and retain the best staff to help close the student achievement gap. Our people are genuinely motivated, supportive, and working collaboratively.

Cons

Budget deficits and/cuts, implementing too many HR process changes at once, and not investing time to explore full potential of our technologies via smaller scale studies create bigger and long-term challenges for our growing school system.

Consider doing smaller scale feasibility studies for projecting potential savings and increasing parental involvement in successfully educating students prek-12 via their completion of daily online pre-recorded classroom lessons. The lessons should be pre-planned curriculum and instruction (C&I) reflecting best practices. The system should be accessed via unique user log-ons and have secure email feature for communication between student/parent/teacher of record in any language. Teacher of record will have more time to analyze their students' achievement data, to provide supplemental individualized education plans for gifted and challenged students, to contribute to enhancing the next version of the daily online pre-recorded classroom lessons, and to collaborate with C&I coaches and school adminstrators. These enhancements to pre-recorded lessons throughout teacher of record's performance evaluation cycle can serve as their artifacts.

Huge school system with both perks and downfalls

Former Employee - General Music Teacher
    Former Employee - General Music Teacher

I worked at Fairfax County Public Schools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

One of the most well known, well funded school districts in the country - it shows
    Great teacher development opportunities
    Experience is very much school dependent. Great leadership at a school makes all the difference
    Generous sick leave, health insurance and other benefits

Cons

Big county often times means more bureaucracy
    Compared to other districts in the DMV, some others have better salaries, benefits, work atmosphere
    Experience is very much school dependent. Poor leadership at a school makes all the difference
    Only 3 personal days a year could be better

Substitute Teacher

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Fairfax County Public Schools

Pros

During my four year tenure here as a Substitute Teacher, I have been afforded the ability to observe the professional culture. I am happy to report that not only have I been satisfied with the way in which I have been treated as an employee, but I have also recommended others apply and become a Sub in the county.

Cons

One of the major cons of the Fairfax County Public School system as it pertains to Subs is the amount of time they allocate for Subs to arrive at their appointed schools once they have accepted the job online. If you accept a job the morning of the assignment you are only permitted 45 minutes to arrive. If you live within the county, then 45 minutes is a practical amount of time to arrive at you appointed school. However, if you live in a surrounding county, as I do , then 45 minutes, based on the apparent traffic, is not enough.

Please, consider extending the arrival time of your substitute teachers dependent upon the distance lived and the basic travel time for your employees based on their designated location.

It could be SO MUCH BETTER...

I have been working at Fairfax County Public Schools full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Interesting work that has the potential to be exciting work, somewhat flexible telecommuting situation, friendly and knowledgeable co-workers and staff.

The new Superintendent, Dr. Karen Garza, is a refreshing change and a much needed step in the right direction.

Cons

FCPS Department of Information Technology is a top down managed organization that leverages fear based management styles, management acts as if they would like employee feedback but, solicitation for feedback rarely, if ever, gets beyond the solicitation stage, The organization is risk and change averse, applying the same strategies over and over again to address problems that require unique and creative approaches. I rarely, if ever, see CTO and Director level personnel in the building. The same employees are submitted and recognized for performance awards time and time again. Middle managers enable and are "yes" people to senior management.

Solicit employee input and advice on a regular, recurring basis. Realize that you have some very good people who can provide the organization with creative ideas and input as opposed to the same stale strategies and recurring meetings that require the valuable time and attendance of already overworked teachers and curriculum specialists. Value the time of your constituents by limiting those meetings or only having them for compelling reasons that invite, encourage, and embrace constituent input. Don't allow middle managers to waste tax payer money on unnecessary, high dollar technology items. Change middle management structure so that it doesn't encourage "territorial" and territory protection behaviors. VALUE your employees, NURTURE them, and RECOGNIZE the fact that they are problem solvers not just employees.

Top Notch School System

Current Employee - Safety and Security Assistant in Burke, VA
    Current Employee - Safety and Security Assistant in Burke, VA

I have been working at Fairfax County Public Schools

Pros

Friendly staff, diverse population, great administrative team

Cons

School is very large and the hallways can be confusing

Excellent School District

Current Employee - Teacher in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Teacher in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Fairfax County Public Schools full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Working for this school district is wonderful. Good students, good resources, good training, smart colleagues. It is a great district in which to work.

Cons

There are no cons to speak of. The district is excellent.

Very little advice to management. The district is excellent.

Great

I have been working at Fairfax County Public Schools

Pros

fun working enviorment in the schools

Cons

the pay is tough but thats normal

Fairfax County Public Schools Photos

Fairfax County Public Schools 903 (Photo thanks to Flickr user Gerard Donnelly with permission, All rights reserved.)
Historical fly by