Fairfax Media

Be The First To
Add Photos

Greg Hywood

A great evolving business

ProsA great team both young and old. An impressive suite of products that clients like and deliver results. Despite the many changes in recent years there are still good progression opportunities for those who work hard and align their skills to the evolving needs of this business.

ConsFairfax is continually evolving and those who cope well with change and a level of uncertainty may find that a struggle. There is still a level of division between the digital and traditional sides of the business which may frustrate those wanting experience across both print and digital products.

Great role. Fantastic Culture, No leadership.

ProsWorking on different brands and briefs every day.
    Internal stakeholders right cross the business - product, marketing, events - make the experience worthwhile.

ConsMinimal leadership and no motivation. Managers are out to making themselves shine, not their teams.
    Don't value good staff. Don't give pay rises often.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward long term employees. Teach your managers to motivate and inspire the teams. Set process and practices in writing.

Excellent innovative media company, with a great culture and emphasis on reshaping the business for the digital era

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sydney (Australia)

Prosexcellent office in Pyrmont. Gym, showers, cycling facilities.
    Flexible working and working remotely
    The latest technology (Macbook Pro/Airs) and X1 Lenovo, Google Apps instead of Office/Outlook.
    Great place for technology workers.

ConsFairfax Media is navigating a difficult people as a result of the decline of print media. Some times bad (cost saving), but also good (getting away from traditional Oracle/Microsoft products and moving to cloud services)

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

People make the place!

Adverising Consultant (Former Employee) Auckland (New Zealand)

ProsGreat people to work with, fast paced working environment, good thorough processes already in place. Good hours, not expected to work insane amount of hours like other media.

ConsPoor pay, left behind in a digital age, don't value good staff. A tone of redundancies are happening and make for a terrible culture amoungst staff. While I was there this was just starting to gain momentum. Use to be an amazing place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet real, you are behind the ball by about 10 years, instead of poorly playing catchup do something new and innovative instead of rehashing other companies products and doing a terrible effort at it in the online space.

Excellent company to work for

Account Executive (Former Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsConstant training on new products and technologies, friendly fun working environment, highly regarded company.

ConsHarder to progress due to the size of the company and number of employees.

A company most staff consider as a stepping stone in their career development

Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsWell known company with products that matter. Work on products that are used by the majority of Australian population.
    Modern culture embracing the latest technology.
    Strong team bonds where people do work together for a common goal.
    Internally very agile which gives it a startup feel. Employees empowered to improve systems.
    Fun environment located in a really cool location.

ConsManagement undervalues staff, seems to consider them disposable and replaceable.
    Struggles to understand investment in technology can save considerable time reducing staff effort. Often prioritises spending less at the expense of employees having to do considerably more work.
    High staff turnover causes considerable workloads on existing competent staff.
    High pressure environment due to sites being so well known and critical.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople matter, they should be looked after and valued.

Botched potential

Journalist (Former Employee) Adelaide (Australia)

ProsIf you're a young journalist looking for an opportunity to explore different avenues within journalism, Fairfax is decent, especially if low pay is not a concern.

ConsLack of vision from leaders, who often promoted the wrong people. Illegal compensation practices are widespread.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff!

junior pm project coordinator interview

Junior PM Project Coordinator (Current Employee) Sydney (Australia)

Prosvaried work that sounded challenging

ConsQuestion team work, not sure about company culture in general.

Advice to Senior Managementfocus on results and keeping people happy.

Never again

Project Manager (Former Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsCompany is looking to innovate. When I worked there the company moved to activity based working (=hot desking), which was excellent

ConsVery poor change management, change is occurring on top of change, not properly managed with staff dissatisfied and having low morale. Lack of structure or clear direction. Leadership is poor.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink of your employees.... It was really not a pleasant place to work with so many changes org changes occurring that were not managed.

No culture, no leadership

General Manager (Former Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsThe potential is really interesting, if seriously challenged. But it's feeling like the death of a thousand cuts, with none of the big "strategies" changing the outlook. When I joined the place it was full of really highly motivated people who loved the place. They are hard to find now, though the potential is there if leadership is fixed.

ConsMessages from the top management are not credible. Constant re-shuffling. Blame shifting. Really poor sales strategies compounding what are desultory product plans. Spin at the top becomes a circus of finger pointing at the operational level.
    Organisation is confused. Very little ownership and accountability, even at the top.
    The really weird thing is that operational staff in key areas are cut to levels that are self-defeating while the head office layer gets fatter and fatter. It's really obvious that the business needs to push accountability down and get rig of the HO waste.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit. Same to the board.

Worked for Fairfax Media? Contribute to the Community!