Fairview Health

Updated September 30, 2014
2.7

Fairview Health Chairman and Interim CEO Charles Mooty
Charles Mooty

Pros
  • Decent benefits, staff mostly has good work ethic, tries to honor work-life balance, felt a "part of" something special (in 3 reviews)

• Good Salary, the knowledge that you are working for one of the largest healthcare orgs in the area, good benefits (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Sewage back up in patient care area without evacuation of patients (in 3 reviews)

• Many long-term employees have left under unpleasant circumstances (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

We'll rounded experience

I worked at Fairview Health as a contractor

Pros

Culture work values time flexibility customer friendly

Cons

Nothing negative to say about the company

Glad I had the experience of working here....too bad the potential for a wonderful place to work is not recognized

Former Employee - Peri-op Staff  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Peri-op Staff in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Fairview Health part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Cons

Extremely poor communication, will "get rid of" PERCEIVED non complying employees, lots of favoritism among management, zero tolerance for new ideas

Take a good, solid look at yourselves, and do a through inventory of why there are problems in the department....could it possibly be you?

My experience at Fairview was pretty good overall.

I worked at Fairview Health

Pros

Good Staff
    Decent Pay
    Great location
    Great mission and vision
    Great New Leadership
    Always looking for Improvement in the community

Cons

Not enough coordination between the departments
    Lacks good communication
    Difficult to follow department head
    Departments have their own agendas

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Some really good people and some really bad ones.

Current Employee - Senior Data Analyst  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Data Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Fairview Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love working with such close contact to the actual caregivers. It did feel like the work I was doing could directly impact the care patients were receiving. There were also a handful of coworkers who were downright brilliant - but, unfortunately, they weren't always the ones in the management positions.

Cons

I was working as an analyst in a relatively new group. My coworkers were really nice, but I wasn't convinced that the team had much of a solid vision. We seemed to be another cog in the giant wheel of healthcare spending, and weren't really working towards any greater good.

Innovation doesn't hurt, I promise :)

Beware

Current Employee - IT Professional  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - IT Professional in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Fairview Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The pay checks usually clear, but don't expect them to ever get larger.

Cons

The outlook for this company is grim; there is no money to do anything unless it is putting out a fire. In fact, that is the only way anything gets done is if there a breach, a failure, an emergency.
    The most unqualified people are watching the most critical systems. The most overqualified people are doing mundane tasks. There is no room to move, no chance to advance, no plan for improvement or training unless you are hired in far below your market value (then enjoy the training while you can get it).
    Things move slow where there are no fires. Vendors are brought in to do the serious, fun, resume-building work because noone wants to be set up for the blame game if something goes wrong.
    The best employees just disappear. No explanation and the ones left behind are often the ones that got fired somewhere else.
    This is simply the most toxic environment I have ever witness and I am ashamed to tell people I worked here as long as I did.

All of management, at least in the IT department, needs to be reevaluated. There is a lot of unprofessional vendor favoritism going on and most decisions are not being made with Fairview's long-term best interest in mind.

Fairview is a great environment to help people in our community.

I have been working at Fairview Health

Pros

Great staff. Fun working with patients and helping those in need.

Cons

Stressful environment to work in sometimes.

Customer Service Rep

Former Employee - Patient Service Representative  in  Edina, MN
    Former Employee - Patient Service Representative in Edina, MN

I worked at Fairview Health part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The staff members are wonderful to work with. Other staff in the hospital are also great to work with. Working in any emergency room setting is very interesting and you never know what to expect from day to day.

Cons

Not much opportunity to advance. Had to work every weekend. I think it would have been better to rotate weekend shifts.

Rotate weekend shifts among staff or hire people that only want to work weekends. Increase opotunities to advance through training.

No sense of direction in the upper echelon

I worked at Fairview Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Up until the restructuring in 2008, everyone in IT did what they had to to provide the customer, and each other, with excellent service

Cons

After the 2008 restructuring, the atmosphere is one of "CYA" and nobody in IT does anything to help others without a formal request being entered into the system. They implemented ROWE (Results Only Work Environment) in 2009 which didn't work so well as mgmt. did not determine how results were going to be measured. Salaries for staff are kept on the low side of mid-range. Sr. Leadership withholds information to the worker bees so we are kept in the dark about the future of the organization.

Get with the program. Many of the managers in IT should be relieved of their duties and new blood brought in, but new eyes won't survive if the "old timers" are still there; they are a brick wall to growth opportunities, change and advancement.

Fairview Health has been a great place to work. Very flexible with schedule changes due to having schedulers 24/7.

Current Employee - Nursing Station Technician  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Nursing Station Technician in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Fairview Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people to work with (both management and co-workers), resources are pretty amazing compared to other locations I have worked at. There are many different ways to be involved in how the workplace runs (various groups that are nursing unit specific).

Cons

Most paraprofessional positions require that the person works day/eve, day/night, or straight nights, so the schedule is never really consistent. It takes a long time to put any changes into effect, but once implemented, the workers help improve processes on the nursing floor.

Dead end job.

Current Employee - Medical Assistant
    Current Employee - Medical Assistant

I have been working at Fairview Health part-time for more than a year

Pros

Supportive coworkers.
    Good choice of locations.

Cons

No raise in over a year. The review process is arbitrary and doesn't reflect actual performance other than which boxes were checked on the EMR when caring for a patient.

Nurses are forced to hurry patient care, sacrificing quality.
    No chance for advancement.
    Increased workloads regularly without incentive to perform.
    Poor communication throughout the organization.
    Poor training for new employees.
    Low morale.
    Mediocre benefits.
    Constant staffing problems. Top heavy. Management and administration outnumber patient care staff.

Fairview doesn't appear to care about its employees. Perhaps the cost to recruit and train new employees would go down if you were able to retain more? Patient satisfaction will rise when the people that care for them are satisfied as well.

Worked for Fairview Health? Contribute to the Community!