Fairview Health Reviews

Updated July 19, 2014

2.7

Fairview Health Chairman and Interim CEO Charles Mooty
Charles Mooty

Pros
  • Decent benefits, staff mostly has good work ethic, tries to honor work-life balance, felt a "part of" something special (in 3 reviews)

• Good Salary, the knowledge that you are working for one of the largest healthcare orgs in the area, good benefits (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Many long-term employees have left under unpleasant circumstances (in 2 reviews)

• New employee training is minimal (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

They are on the way out

I worked at Fairview Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

free parking, nice security, , clean, I cannot add anymore. I would be making it up...

Cons

Too many to list. Terrible communication to staff, Treat employees with very little respect, including providers. May be one reason doctors and nurses are leaving in droves.

Improve communication to the working people and stop having so many meetings amongst yourselves. Treat your employees with respect

Good learning experience around HR and management

I worked at Fairview Health

Pros

Good place to work, collaborative atmosphere in laboratories, Fairview management was willing to assist in issues as needed.

Cons

At the time I worked there, there really weren't any downsides to it. I liked working there and only left because I was recruited to a job that was much closer to where I lived.

Align the laboratories so that they all fall under the same service line; include research labs as well.

Fairview is undergoing a lot of changes

Current Employee - Site Supervisor  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Site Supervisor in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Fairview Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People are easy to get along with. The standards i was held to were high and yet I was given assistance to reach them.

Cons

Fairview is always changing and not in a good way. There's turmoil at the top and it filters downwards to everyone in the business.

Set a clear path and stick with it! Communicate clearly to *everyone*!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

immature

Current Employee - Patient Care Clinic  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Patient Care Clinic in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Fairview Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

pays the bills until you find a place and a boss that you actually WANT to work for

Cons

low standards
    formal leadership gets drunk with their employees and if you don't join them, you're bullied
    when you complain about the bullying and poor office etiquette, it gets worse, not better
    the raises are pathetic
    health benefits are expensive on the paycheck and out of your pocket
    real concerns about patient safety doesn't seem to be accounted for
    no communication from leadership
    must be in a clique to not have your lunch stolen from the refrigerator
    suggestions aren't listened to
    ...the list goes on

Shrink the size of your head and realize that you don't know everything. Ask for suggestions, listen, and communicate. Saying that you don't "micro manage" is just an excuse to be lazy. Get over yourself and when you have to make decisions based on zero experience, do a little research and ask the people who will be directly affected by the change. Take some Organization Development classes...maybe take any management classes.

Thanks for the start in mental health at least

Former Employee - Psychiatric Associate  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Psychiatric Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Fairview Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Most coworkers are dedicated to helping patients. Large company with resources and connections to the U of M. Great benefits and competitive pay.

Cons

Management is distant and not open to change. Some coworkers have been on the same unit for decades and their mindsets have not changed in that time. Non-union employees have significantly less clout or leverage than union positions.

Open communication channels to new ideas. Identify good employees and give recognition.

great people to work with questionable senior management

Current Employee - Physician
    Current Employee - Physician

I have been working at Fairview Health full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

day to day job and work in the office is great I have worked in a lot of different offices and the small clinic that I work in is a very supportive environment. the staff go out of their way to help one another and the community is great

Cons

the management style is distant, condescending, without direction and counter productive. They let staff go only to tell everyone to increase productivity. when offered suggestions , they are ignored. excuses are made so often for why things aren't as they should be I am sure I could get out a tape recorded player of the last few meetings and just replay them.
    there seems to be no long term game plan for most projects.

get rid of the layers . listen to the people who actually do the work and stop telling them to just "work harder" change your vision because it is keeping this once great organization trapped and is going to drive it into the ground

UMMC Laboratory

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Fairview Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Wonderful co-workers, beautiful facilities, Strong history in Minnesota, Pay checks always clear the bank.

Cons

A LOT of job cuts, replacing many positions with casual non-benefit workers, Management is deaf to employee concerns or suggestions. Lack of recognition. Lack of opportunities for growth. Employees are treated as "replaceable". Left hand can't see the right hand disorganization. The senior employees resist change. Unions keep lazy employees around for a long time. Pensions were cut. Health insurance gets cuts every year. Vacation bank maximums are in the process of being reduced. Raises are few and far between. High staff turn over. Many greedy and deceptive CEOs.

Listen to employee suggestion and concerns. Recognize employees that represent the company values. Find ways to promote employees from within. Upper management needs to listen to the laboratory management, laboratory management needs to listen to the laboratory employees. Everyone is on a different page.

Smart, dedicated co workers

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Fairview Health part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

fast paced, challenging, cutting edge medicine

Cons

Budget pressures sometimes mean shortsightedness by management

Good Health Care Organization

I have been working at Fairview Health

Pros

Great values, good opportunities, good attitude towards patients and employees. Compensation is competitive.

Cons

like all Health Care Organizations, they are having to trim budgets and reorganize. Recent change in leadership after relationship with Accretive. Repairing and rebranding their image.

Stick with the Fairview Values, continue to engage employees as your stake holders. Strive to raise your customer service to the highest level of excellence in these competitive markets.

It was interesting

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Fairview Health full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Lots of amazing people and a great place to work.

Cons

Management doesn't get it. They need to listen to the employees. Employee satisfaction scores are always low.

Listen to us.

Worked for Fairview Health? Contribute to the Community!