Fairview Health Services Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Fairview Health Services Board Chair & Interim CEO David Murphy
David Murphy

Pros
  • Salary, work-life balance, benefits (in 4 reviews)

• Good Salary, the knowledge that you are working for one of the largest healthcare orgs in the area, good benefits (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Change comes slowly to a large organization like this (in 3 reviews)

• Nurses are forced to hurry patient care, sacrificing quality (in 3 reviews)

1. A bit chaotic

Current Employee - Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Fairview Health Services full-time

Pros

Some nice coworkers. Dynamic with lots of autonomy

Cons

Upper management is confused. Needs more soft skills training at management levels.

2. Great people and a great place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Fairview Health Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been with Fairview for about a year and I love it. I made a career change and Fairview has given me the opportunity to learn and grow with the company. My supervisors have been great since day one and they seem to really care about their employees and are constantly offering encouragement and advice. I couldn't be happier with the decision I made to start working with Fairview. I'm really looking forward to the challenges and opportunities ahead and I hope to stay working here for years to come!

Cons

I'm not sure that I could think of any cons. Some days are less busy than others if that counts!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. I like the direction the company is going. My managers make it easy for me to want to get up and come to work in the morning. Thanks for all that you do.

3. Enjoyed working for Fairview

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Fairview Health Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked for Fairview for a number of years and really enjoyed working there. Great opportunities to improve my skill set and learn and grow in a healthcare setting.

Cons

There was minimal room for upward mobility in the area that I was in. There is an opportunity to be more intentional about succession planning and career progression for employees.

5. Patient Financial Services

Current Employee - Claims Representative in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Claims Representative in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Fairview Health Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small Group/Team
    Instant Communication with Internal resources
    Extensive Professional knowledge base

Cons

Excessive work load for small group
    Overly Indirect Manager
    Lacking cohesiveness to external components/services

Advice to Management

The job was a 7-10 person team, not the strain put on the 5 people that currently exists making tempers, stress, and flexibility a problem when handling anything outside of your own responsibilities

Lost its way

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Fairview Health Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of talented people...opportunity to be impactful in the community and drive healthcare change

Cons

Ridiculous situation at the executive and senior management levels as there is no cohesion, uniform vision or leadership. Irresponsible board without any appreciation of the strengths of the organization. In the absence of true management leadership, the consultant flavor-of-the day rules without any accountablity or appreciable return on the money spent.

Advice to Management

Commit yourself to "why" you are in the heatlhcare business.
    Ban interium "contract" management and money-sucking engagement to find out what you already know..listen to your people.

Great staff, poor management

Current Employee - Health Information Management in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Health Information Management in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Fairview Health Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with great staff; really nice retirement package; learning a lot; busy fast paced environment; freedom to update procceses and implement new procedures that will increase productivity

Cons

Poor management and negative policies; very little flexibility; treated like children most of the time who are out to do bad things and take advantage of things, even though we're nothing but awesome employees who give our all to our jobs; HR is there to back up supervisors not to staff's backs; slow with change; lack of advancement opportunities unless you have a degree (instead of promoting someone within who has tons of experience and s proven track record of greatness, they'll hire a brand new employee just because they have a degree-or they're just trying to keep you in a place that's most beneficial to their agenda)
    Huge lack of flexibility

Advice to Management

Recognize when you have an awesome team and promote from within
    Better communication and better leadership
    Learn your staff's responsibilities before trying to micromanage or before holding them in a negative view for things falling behind
    Recognize when your staff has concerns about negative policies and take them seriously - don't just act like a brick wall.
    Provide a little more flexibility

Wonderful coworkers, terrible management.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Fairview Health Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent coworkers - the best group of coworkers I've ever had, actually. Modern facility, pleasant atmosphere, decent pay. These are really the only things that make it tolerable.

Cons

Where to begin? Terrible management, all the way from mid level to senior management. This company is notorious for nepotism. Your chances of advancing, if you have a relative in management are much, much greater. Terrible benefits. When I started there, they were decent, but every year, Fairview takes more and more away from its employees. Its truly awful how much they do not value their employees, and do not stand by their own mission statement. They know you're replaceable, and will remind you of that, just in not so many words. Don't even get me started on the lack of parking on the East Bank campus, and how they handle that. Also, there is no mutual respect between the different departments in the hospital. I could list cons forever, but I won't.

Advice to Management

Employees respond much better to positive reinforcements, rather than negative ones. We are all adults, and don't need to be bullied into doing our jobs.

Good place

Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Fairview Health Services part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Have the patient at the heart of the company.

Cons

Sometimes raises are very low, expectations high.

Advice to Management

thank your staff more often and reward them

10. A care system in transition

Former Employee - Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Fairview Health Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Change is good and necessary to compete. Good people working hard to fulfill mission. Broad local market presence and service portfolio.

Cons

It's not always for the right reasons and communication disconnects between management levels causes confusion. Change can be monolithic or overnight depending on who champions it.

Advice to Management

Get your plan worked out better and make sure it gets accurately disseminated top to bottom.

11. Confused company, with good people.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Fairview Health Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work/life balance. Management is good. Fun events.

Cons

No company culture. Confused identity.

Advice to Management

Collectively find a single goal and hold your employees to that standard.

RSS Feed </> Embed