Fairway Market (New York)

www.fairwaymarket.com

Fairway Market (New York) Reviews

Updated January 4, 2015
Updated January 4, 2015
2.4

CEO

A great place to work, where hard work and dedication goes a long way.

Current Employee - Coffee Department Associate in Douglaston, NY
    Current Employee - Coffee Department Associate in Douglaston, NY

I have been working at Fairway Market (New York)

Pros

If you work hard and do as you're asked, management will be much more receptive to your suggestions and anything else you have to say.

Cons

I honestly don't have anything bad to say.

cahier

Current Employee - Cashier in Chelsea, NY
    Current Employee - Cashier in Chelsea, NY

I have been working at Fairway Market (New York)

Pros

none to be honest this company sucks

Cons

long lines
    have to work very very fast
    the customers are beyond rude
    you have to be raising your voice to call for the next customer because they are listening to music or texting...
    they don't take you out on time
    the union sucks
    and much moreeeeeeeeeeee.....

it was horrible

Former Employee - Grocery Manager in Pelham Manor, NY
    Former Employee - Grocery Manager in Pelham Manor, NY

I worked at Fairway Market (New York) full-time (more than a year)

Pros

weekly check was probably one of the pros of working for the family market

Cons

the company is just no good no communication constantly frustrated management don't take up to good workers always a blame game no raises

learn to communicate with your employees properly the job will get done the right way

Ok place to work, but a poorly run supermarket

Current Employee - Cashier in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Cashier in New York, NY

I have been working at Fairway Market (New York) part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good job to have during school
    Mostly nice coworkers
    Managers have decent personalities.

Cons

Extremely busy at all hours
    The store is chaotic. Managers have no control or any kind of system.
    Lots of pressure from management to do well
    Hard to do well as a beginner. Little support and training.

Good Place to Work

I worked at Fairway Market (New York)

Pros

Great place to understand what goes into decided what products to put on the self, how to make a pricing decision, and how to make your margins.

Cons

Not a lot of team-oriented thinking.

puffery is good, but working there isnt.

Former Employee - Department Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Department Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Fairway Market (New York) full-time (more than a year)

Pros

you'll learn alot about the business, that, in retrospect, are not that important.

its a foodservice business, where everyone is treated lousily. why should they be any different?

Cons

lots of store / corporate politics.

i managed a department in several stores. no corporate backup

i was supposed to be a 1099; my first paycheck had deductions, etc, so i said if youre gonna do that, give me health insurance. ok. but they never got around to doing it.

they restuctured my department, and effectively replaced me with a kid at 35% of my pay (i still had contacts, so i asked.) customer service in my old department is non existent.

if the work is inconvenient, they lie to customers. (i was too dedicated, so you would never find that in my bailiwick. but they didnt appreciate that, and upper management probably never knew / didnt care about knowing.)

when i didnt take lunch breaks, they actually wrote me up for that. (actually, they write employees up for anything / everything. they only use it against the employee if he complains, even if its over a year old. and dont you dare ask for a copy of the write up.)

when the company goes public (thats all management is really looking out for: to cash out) dont buy. thats when the puffery will end.

its ok if you treat your lower level employees like garbage -- its food service, and everyone does that. but your managers should be treated better.

corporate management almost never visits stores, definitely never talks to employees / store depatrment managers.

when they come, its like a rock star visiting -- dont you dare talk to them.

Craziness from the top down

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Fairway Market (New York) full-time

Pros

a $25 bonus coupon for the holiday season, cant speak much on salary since I was on a straight salary but I advise anyone to make sure they negotiate well for that will be the salary you will have for years to come.

Cons

There is no real direction as to where the company is going, when the company went public they did not have sense in asking the employees of the company if they would like to purchase some. All the stocks were distributed to upper management and many employees were upset about that. This Company only cares for upper management and they show it, most companies appreciate what every employee does and contributes down to the lowest level but Fairway really does not. The company does not give any bonuses to their employees nor do they believe in raises. I appreciate the opportunity they gave me and for the job I had but I really do hope that the executives see how valuable their employees are down to the person that sweeps the floor. Everyone should feel appreciated. as far as promotions go they give out titles like they are going out of style but they do not modify your salary, it is really who you know over there. If you are in with management and do "special" favors they will get you very far, knowledge or work ethic does nothing for you there. I worked about 65-70 hours a week and went over and above for the company but never was reciprocated and appreciated for the work that was done and this is the culture there. In the upper management meetings there was a lot of yelling and finger pointing instead of brainstorming and looking for a solution together. Company really needs a culture change and I believe it should start with a complete over haul of the executive team.

Years ago when Fairway was privately owned the owners made it a point to make sure that everyone was taken care of down to the porter, this is what management need to do in order to turn the company around. Customers are important but when there are dissatisfied employees it translates to the work they produce and in turn produces unhappy customers and loss of business there after.

American Horror Story: Fairway Market

Former Employee - Cashier in Plainview, NY
    Former Employee - Cashier in Plainview, NY

I worked at Fairway Market (New York) full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There are none unless you're into being bullied by management.

Cons

Management will not give you direction on what to do,
    IT's just like high school, If you're not in the clique you're screwed.
    No time for a personal life. Fairway wants to suck the life out of you. The only God they believe is money.

Human Resources should give potential employees the warning that you would have to work fifty hours a week and have no time to rest on Sundays. They are clearly anti-Catholic.

Hostile Work Environment

Former Employee - Cafe in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Cafe in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Fairway Market (New York) full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nothing - Maybe the free transportation that you can get from the Ikea Shuttle and that's about it.

Cons

Do not accept a job offer for Fairway in Red Hook. Very unprofessional people in management positions who do not know how to handle employees. From the moment I started working there I couldn't help but notice how poorly managed employees were and heard nothing but complaints from existing employees. The morale was awful. Managers are out to get employees in trouble. As a former new employee at this particular Fairway Store, if you had a question or needed some advice you had no one to turn too. You were basically on your own and I think that is how management liked it. Management/Supervisors feel a sense of entitlement and do nothing but spy on employees and throw them dirty looks and mumble under their breathes. Avoid working in Red Hook Fairway at all costs! You also end up by being fired by your 6 month anniversary with the company so they can avoid getting into the Union.

Go back and get trained and do what you are suppose to do, manage and train employees the right way without degrading them!! Ever heard of positive reinforcement or don't know what that means. The $10.00 an hour you offer is so not worth the bull you put your employees through.

Decent for a grocery store

Former Employee - Cashier in Woodland Park, NJ
    Former Employee - Cashier in Woodland Park, NJ

I worked at Fairway Market (New York) full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Customers tend to be friendlier than other grocery stores

Cons

Managers can be very distant

More individual attention